Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Imme (Jon)

Infared Ob's monitoring camera

This is probably a trial and error type question.....so I'm hoping to learn from someone else's trails to not make my own errors!

I want to remotely monitor the obs (telescope/mount) using a camera so I can watch what's going on when slewing, etc.

I have a ASI 1600 which has a spectrum response in the red range out past 800nm I believe......infrared spectrum starts at 750nm apparently.

My question is this - if I use a camera with night vision (infrared) am I going to be picking up the light signal from the infrared LED's on the imaging cam?

If so it kinda blows my dark site benefits hey!

What are other people using as a camera to monitor their ob activities?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:48 AM
stefang (Stefan)

Hi Jon,
Nicky and I installed a Snap Sengled, and a wemowebcam
The snap is wifi and the wemo is USB running to an on net rasberry pi.

Both shoot IR enhanced, however have never seen any evidence in our subs.
As part of our one start up script, we online both camera, once the Dragon fly confirms the scope in park, the roof is not opening or closing, it turns the IR Sengled and welbcam on before starting the mount.

This is so we can use our phones or pc to watch that everything is ok.
We get an email from the Pi via script that tells us a run is starting.

The cameras are always online, however they are motion sensing so they don't record unless they detect movement.

This made for a farcical running up of the obs when we started running her in. Claims of aparitions and unworldy spirits were thrown about, until we figured out the strange flashing and lights that would occur during day at random times, was actually the whirlybird on the roof we installed for airflow, rotating and spitting a lit dynamic shadow & reflections all over the obs when it got windy.

Needless to say a 10" square of black wiremesh fixed that problem.

Now if only we can figure out who is drinking our really good tequila on each new moon weekend, .

Good luck.

Last edited by stefang; 04-08-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Imme (Jon)

I have a similar issue in mine Stefan.......seems glass bottles up here easily develop pin hole leaks that drain the contents over time.

Thanks a heap for the info
Old 05-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Marke (Mark)

I use something like this https://www.swann.com/au/swwhd-ptcam#
but has ethernet connection never noticed any issue with the IR , Had the samer concern at first but did some tests and cant see any light contamination from it . I just use it to keep an eye on the scope position to make sure its where its supposed to be .