Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2014, 06:09 PM
glend (Glen)

NEQ6 Pro Imaging Weight limit?

I am currently running a 8" imaging newt on my NEQ6Pro mount and it's probably under the imaging capacity limit of that mount (the OTA alone only weighs 10kg, and I reckon its about 13kg all up setup for imaging) . Does anyone have any direct experience with say a 10" f5 (1250mm fl) imaging newt on a NEQ6? I hear the imaging limit is 18kg and the bare 10" f5 OTA I am considering weighs 15kg out of the box (or so the supplier says), and once I add the long top and bottom dovetails I want, and the Canon 450D, the Baader Coma Corrector, 60mm guidescope, and ASI130 guide camera I think I would be just over the 18kg mark. I guess I could save a little weight, if I went for the shorter 10" f4 version of this OTA, but I prefer the f5 for ease of collimation and less coma.

Experiences? Advice on this setup?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:43 PM
raymo

I don't have a 6, but the principle will be the same with my HEQ5.
I personally believe 18kg would be fine. I have been imaging with
my 5 running at about 13kg, ever since I bought it, and never had a problem related to weight. I believe many imagers are over conservative
re mount loading for imaging. My mount doesn't track any better with
just my little 80mm achro on it. Someone will probably disagree strongly with me. Having said all that, the f/4 would obviously be better from
the point of view of wind, and general stability. If you are looking for quality images, you are going to have to use a
coma corrector anyway, so it's really only the collimation.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 11-09-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: more text
Old 11-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

I had an my old steel tube 8" newt on my neq6 and it performed OK. Problem is with a long scope is it acts like a sail. i could only image on the most calm of nights.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Glen,
I've successfully been using the NEQ6pro mount with a C11 plus three cameras, spectroscope etc.
All up weight around 19Kg+ (needs five x 5Kg for balance!)
No issues, no drama - on axis guiding a target star on a 20 micron slit indefinitely - usually 10 min subs.
HTH