Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Facelift

I recently was GIVEN an old Vixen Sphinx mount that was rather sad - blue plastic covers cracked, insects inside the motor housing, paint chips and scratches etc. Nothing to lose, I gave it a much needed facelift.

Resprayed the entire mount head with Hammerite White hammertone paint. Matched the Vixen original PERFECTLY. I reglued the cracked blue covers, and also bought replacements through Steve Massey, but decided to have a crack at repairing them - so I did. Epoxy and superglue, sanded, light sandblast, then hammertone painted them too - I think it makes it look like the new SXP now! MUCH cleaner, not Gameboy look now.

Enjoyed it immensely. Runs flawlessly now (regreased, polished etc), and upgraded the firmware for the Starbook (considering to respray the translucent blue of that too ) - plus, the new Vixen firmware released earlier this year eliminates the Declination axis jumps endemic with the SPhinx - WIN WIN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Complete.jpg)
81.3 KB181 views
Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

So when are you selling it? j/k.

Looks like a good job.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:59 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

You do love yr scopes Huh?

Mike
Old 08-09-2014, 05:54 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Being an old restorer of military items, I enjoy the classics. Perhaps I DO love them. The FC-100 on the Sphinx was so utterly dejectedly sad when I got it (at a bargain price), and I restored that - sympathetically. I was considering respraying it, but I just loved it with the tube scratches etc. So, I just hand polished the tube and dewshield, straightened the VERY bent focuser pinion, reworked the focuser, installed an MEF3 micro-focuser on it, and cleaned the grotty objective (still needs another go - awaiting my collodion polymer cleaner still). I also just finished hand repairing the hole a prior owner drilled THROUGH the dewshield cap screw out aperture mask - back filled with epoxy putty, and recut the Tak intertwined TS logo under a loupe, then repaited it in the Tak green I had my local paint shop match.

Yes, I love restorations, and especially when it pays off looking through them as well (the views through this 100 are so incredibly contrasty and SHARP). Looking AT a classic is half the enjoyment to me too.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:16 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Being an old restorer of military items, I enjoy the classics. Perhaps I DO love them. The FC-100 on the Sphinx was so utterly dejectedly sad when I got it (at a bargain price), and I restored that - sympathetically. I was considering respraying it, but I just loved it with the tube scratches etc. So, I just hand polished the tube and dewshield, straightened the VERY bent focuser pinion, reworked the focuser, installed an MEF3 micro-focuser on it, and cleaned the grotty objective (still needs another go - awaiting my collodion polymer cleaner still). I also just finished hand repairing the hole a prior owner drilled THROUGH the dewshield cap screw out aperture mask - back filled with epoxy putty, and recut the Tak intertwined TS logo under a loupe, then repaited it in the Tak green I had my local paint shop match.

Yes, I love restorations, and especially when it pays off looking through them as well (the views through this 100 are so incredibly contrasty and SHARP). Looking AT a classic is half the enjoyment to me too.
Great stuff, must be lots of fun

Mike
Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Nice job Lewis, it looks great.
Q. When u say u polish a telescope tube, what does that involve?
Trev
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Fine automotive rubbing compound and a LOT of elbow grease.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Thx. Is it worth 'sealing' the finish afterwards?
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Trevor, I always hard wax my OTA's, so not sure if NECESSARY, but I do.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:53 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Wax….
Is this the same as doing it to a car? Like I used to when I washed my car…an all to rare event, with Domestos and wondered why the paint went all powdery!!!! Wax was the solution. Maybe I should wash my scope
Have to ask…when are you selling this mount?
Matt
Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Wax….
Is this the same as doing it to a car? Like I used to when I washed my car…an all to rare event, with Domestos and wondered why the paint went all powdery!!!! Wax was the solution. Maybe I should wash my scope
Yes, after polishing with fine polishing compound, I use a hard microcrystalline wax (doesn't yellow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Have to ask…when are you selling this mount?
Matt
Hmmmm

(keeping this one - it works too well!)