Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-06-2017, 06:28 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Another Dark Sky Sanctuary in NZ

Great Barrier Island about 60 km from Auckland.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ry-recognition

Old 23-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Finite (John)

When I saw the article on the tv news my first thought was "how dark can it actually be, it's at best only 80km from the lights of Auckland?" I live 100km South of Aucklands CBD, and there's quite noticeable light pollution from Auckland. But then, when I thought about it the lights of Papakura are only about 60km away in a straight line, and Pukekohe about 50km, both are in South Auckland and both of which may be the major contributors to my light pollution, and Great Barrier is nearly twice that far off the coast, so though seemingly as close as I am to Auckland it's actually going to be much better. Very cool.

I expect the light pollution on Great Barrier Island will be very similar to that at the northern end of the Coromandel peninsula, - they're both about equi-distant East of Auckland city and sparsely populated. In fact, the Coromandels northern end has no township beyond the one-store town at Colville, some way before the end of the peninsula, whereas Great Barrier has the harbour townships of Fitzroy and Tryphena. I'm going to have to take a drive out to Fletchers Bay on the Coromandel to check it out, -much easier than getting to the barrier, and far cheaper.

Last edited by Finite; 24-06-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 23-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

We will await your report...
Old 24-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Finite (John)

Ha ha, yes indeed. The only problem being I won't know how good it is when I see it! I must also visit Great Barrier Island, I'd love to go, have always wanted to. And now there's an extra reason.
Old 24-06-2017, 07:00 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

No reticulated power on Grt Barrier at all, only local solar setups etc. And the nearest light source eastwards is Sth America ...
It's a beautiful place, been there a few times. But you have to be very self sufficient to live there. And be prepared to barter with your neighbours.