Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-01-2021, 05:40 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Vela SNR at 1000mm

Had the newt out on this target last night, a bit under 2 hours worth. I will keep adding to it and update this post as I go.

Centred on the two bright stars SAO19981 and SAO19982.

14 x 240s Ha and Oiii, gain 200 on the zwo 1600mm pro.

First time I've used the maskedstretch function in PI, not really sure its great, but I think its does do a better job in keeping stars under control. Not much data here, so the stretching is real! Some GIMP work afterwards to tune up colours a bit.

I still dont know how to do a synthetic luminance from just H and O channels. Any tips?

No link to astrobin as this needs way more time to be nice at higher res
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_25012021_064802_(1800_x_1360_pixel).jpg)
200.1 KB127 views

Last edited by jahnpahwa; 25-01-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 25-01-2021, 08:06 AM
PKay (Peter)

Learn something new every day...'masked stretch'?

Will have to investigate that one.

Noice image JP.
Old 23-03-2021, 04:09 PM
pkinchington (Peter (Kanga))

Lovely reminds me of the roof of a honeypot ant chamber (with the honeypot ants clinging to the ceiling).
Cheers Kanga
Old 24-03-2021, 02:31 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinchington View Post
Lovely reminds me of the roof of a honeypot ant chamber (with the honeypot ants clinging to the ceiling).
Cheers Kanga
Thanks very much, Kanga!

I came across your site yesterday while reading through view camera australia and wondered if there could possibly be two by the same name.
I recently started using a 35mm film camera, and even more recently picked up a mamiya press for (big) medium format photography at 6x9.
Your images (as I'm sure you've been told many times) are really fantastic

JP
Old 24-03-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Thanks very much, Kanga!

I came across your site yesterday while reading through view camera australia and wondered if there could possibly be two by the same name.
I recently started using a 35mm film camera, and even more recently picked up a mamiya press for (big) medium format photography at 6x9.
Your images (as I'm sure you've been told many times) are really fantastic

JP

Hi Jay,
Yes they are my images - Was it the close up of the daisy or the Treeferns and Mountain Ash image from the Dandenongs? I took these both on a 4x5in view camera. I also have an 8x10in view camera. I am thinking of doing some dark sky RGBL work using my view cameras for a challenge. I think that analog photography has a certain quality and I would like to see if I can achieve this in the astrophotography realm.
Cheers Kanga
Old 24-03-2021, 05:50 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I like it, great job.
Old 25-03-2021, 09:48 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Great looking image JP, nice colours

Have you tried stretching it a little further? looks like it might be able to handle a tad..?

Mike
Old 25-03-2021, 10:54 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Great looking image JP, nice colours

Have you tried stretching it a little further? looks like it might be able to handle a tad..?

Mike
Thanks Mike! I stretched this super hard to get to what is presented, and I'm not sure if I haven't already gone too far. This was in January, and as usual I've not made good on my intention to go back and keep hammering for more data. I'm glad that you like it, mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
I like it, great job.
Thanks! I don't mind the star colours in particular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinchington View Post
Hi Jay,
Yes they are my images - Was it the close up of the daisy or the Treeferns and Mountain Ash image from the Dandenongs? I took these both on a 4x5in view camera. I also have an 8x10in view camera. I am thinking of doing some dark sky RGBL work using my view cameras for a challenge. I think that analog photography has a certain quality and I would like to see if I can achieve this in the astrophotography realm.
Cheers Kanga
Yep, the Mountain ash image was part of the article I read.
I've now got an OM t-ring that I am hoping to use tonight (amazingly, there is a clear few hours forecast) with a roll of portra 400 and I can't wait to see what I can do with a half hour or so on a bright target.
I got the Press camera because I wanted big negatives, but stopped short of large format because I thought sticking with the convenience of roll film might help to get used to a few other new aspects such as focal plane tilt and shift with the rear bellows, ground glass focusing with a loupe, manual metering, etc... it reminds me a lot of astro a year ago, so many moving parts to get right, I'm really enjoying it.
For now, I'm still struggling to consistently load and unload my 35mm film, so I have a long way to go
Old 25-03-2021, 11:22 AM
JA

Looks great JP

Best
JA
Old 26-03-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Yep, the Mountain ash image was part of the article I read.
I've now got an OM t-ring that I am hoping to use tonight (amazingly, there is a clear few hours forecast) with a roll of portra 400 and I can't wait to see what I can do with a half hour or so on a bright target.
I got the Press camera because I wanted big negatives, but stopped short of large format because I thought sticking with the convenience of roll film might help to get used to a few other new aspects such as focal plane tilt and shift with the rear bellows, ground glass focusing with a loupe, manual metering, etc... it reminds me a lot of astro a year ago, so many moving parts to get right, I'm really enjoying it.
For now, I'm still struggling to consistently load and unload my 35mm film, so I have a long way to go
Keep me posted how your portra 400 trial went.
Cheers Kanga