Old 13-12-2020, 06:24 PM
Jared_t

Televue 22 T4 vs 24 pan

I own the 24 pan and recently picked up a 22 t4 from the classifieds here because I have the 17 t4 and it's my favourite eyepiece so I wanted a lower mag with the same FOV.

Is the 24 pan now redundant?

Using a SW 12inch dob for visual.

Thanks
Old 13-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I own a 24mm Panoptic
Just checked Bintel’s website and the 24mm Panoptic is still available
Old 13-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Jared_t

Yep I do too
My question was, do I still need it if I have the 22 t4 coming.
Old 13-12-2020, 06:56 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_t View Post
Yep I do too
My question was, do I still need it if I have the 22 t4 coming.
Apologies I misunderstood your question
I also have a 12” Goto dob at my dark site
IMHO the Nagler 22mm is a superior eye piece to the 24mm Pan in every respect but not to say the 24 Pan is a great eye piece
I also have several Delos , Ethos and the Apollo 11 commemorative eye piece One thing that people don’t take into consideration is that everyone’s eyes are different and the visual experience varies from person to person and from night to night due to seeing and transparency fluctuations.
The only Televue eye piece that I have been a little disappointed with are the Delite series. I owned a 7mm and a 15mm and sold them both within 12 months
Old 13-12-2020, 07:02 PM
Jared_t

Thanks, I suspect I'll be parting ways with the 24 pan once the 22 arrives.
Old 14-12-2020, 04:44 PM
astro744

The Tele Vue 24mm Panoptic is a much smaller and lighter eyepiece and offers maximum true field in the 1.25” barrel at 68 deg apparent field. It is useful in your kit if you have any telescopes that are 1.25” only. It complements the TV-60 refractor nicely for example. The 24 Pan is also parfocal with the Type 6 Naglers, DeLites, and most Delos, some Ethos and 19 Pan.

The Tele Vue 22mm Type 4 Nagler has of course the 82 deg apparent field and a wider field stop diameter than the 24 Pan and therefore larger true field. It is a 2” eyepiece and pairs with a Paracorr nicely in a Newtonian for a very clean view. It is a relatively heavy eyepiece at 3x that of the 24 Pan. The 22NT4 complements the 31mm Type 5 Nagler nicely should you have one of these.
Old 14-12-2020, 07:24 PM
Wilso

With your 12” dob light bucket you should be impressed by the difference between the 22 nagler and the 24 panoptic due to the size of 2”eyepiece lens, and it’s tfov. It’s more about matching the eyepiece to take advantage your scope/s attributes and capabilities. I would keep both if budget permits and if you have smaller scopes that utilise 1.25mm eyepieces all the better!

enjoy !
Old 14-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Jared_t

Thanks for the replies.
The TV 31mm is my dream eyepiece but I can't justify the price new and they don't seem to come up often in the classifieds.
Old 22-12-2020, 12:21 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Jared,

I've had all of the Nagler T4's for about 20 years. I like them because they have longer eye relief than most of the older Nagler eyepieces, have a large eye lens and give a very immersive view.

The 22mm Nagler T4 is an excellent eyepiece, one of my favourites, but really needs to be combined with a Paracorr when used in a newtonian faster than ~F6, to deliver premium quality views, as does the 17mm Nagler T4. A lot of people would be happy with the view without a paracorr, but it is far from perfect near the EOF, due to some coma and field curvature. The paracorr cleans up the EOF in both the 17mm and 22mm beautifully. The 24mm Panoptic is an excellent eyepiece which is sharp and a favourite with many because of its smaller 1.25" format. IN a larger telescope like a 10" and larger dob, I personally prefer the 2" 27mm Panoptic over the 24mm Panoptic as it gives a more immersive view due to its much larger eye lens and has much better eye relief than the 24mm Panoptic. I use the 27mm Panoptic as my low power eyepiece in my 10" dob as it is much smaller and lighter than the 31mm Nagler and IMO just works better in a 10"/F5 scope.

Depending on your sensitivity to coma/field curvature and whether or not you have a paracorr, you may not be totally happy with the 22mm Nagler in your 12"/F5 scope. I won't use the 17mm or 22mm T4's in any of my scopes without a paracorr. With the paracorr they are superb, without it they get a pass mark IMO in a faster newtonian.

If you end up not happy with the 22mm Nagler, have a look for a 2nd hand 27mm Panoptic. You certainly won't need the 22mm T4 and the 24mm Pano.

Cheers,
John B
Old 25-12-2020, 08:54 AM
Jared_t

Thanks for that John.
First night using the 22 left me very happy. Love the immersive views.

Might still be a little inexperienced but haven't noticed the coma or field curvature which I'm happy about.
The only use I see for the 24 pan at this stage is it combines well with my other 1.25inch 11 and 7mm type 6s when doing planetary viewing.
Still undecided if its worth keeping long term but at this stage it's staying with me.