Old 20-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Zuts

Lightbox

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying one of Peter's lightboxes. It's for a TV85 and ASI1600 OSC. There is an option to include a dimmer switch with this but it would add more cost. Can anyone say why I should/shouldnt get Peter to include a dimmer switch?

Thanks
Paul
Old 20-08-2018, 07:27 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Paul

I have two of the Lightboxes made by Peter. Excellent product.

With the first one, a dimmer switch was not an option. I adjust the exposure length to get a suitable Flat. When I ordered my second Lightbox (different size), I didn't bother with the switch. I figured I would keep doing the same - adjust the exposure time.

It works for me. I don't see the need for the switch.

I use two cameras - the ASI1600 and the ATIK 314L+.

Hope this helps.

Darrell
Old 21-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Zuts

Thanks Darrell,

I'll keep this in mind.

Cheers
Paul
Old 21-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Rigel003 (Graeme)

With some cameras you get uneven flats that reveal the pattern of the shutter blades, if you reduce the exposure to only a few seconds. Better to adjust the illumination than the exposure.
Old 21-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel003 View Post
With some cameras you get uneven flats that reveal the pattern of the shutter blades, if you reduce the exposure to only a few seconds. Better to adjust the illumination than the exposure.
Thanks Graeme,

I don't think an ASI1600 has a mechanical shutter. Again though something to keep in mind.

Cheers
Paul
Old 23-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Wussell (Russell)

I was wondering about the dimmer switch myself
Old 24-08-2018, 11:33 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I think the dimmer is a good "what if" option, you might not think you need it now but next camera you might regret not having it.

Mine was pre dimmer option from Peter and I never regretted buying it nor the cost. The build is great and the light nice and even for me. He does an awesome job on them. Want to quibble pennies? then build your own if you can , Peter is not ripping anybody off and builds with precision and care. And above all as a favour to folks here, its not his 9-5 career. I think mine is about 6 yrs old now roughly and never let me down in any way, still as nice and flat illumination as the day I got it, wiring and construction all sound too. Thought he stopped making them though, must look into getting another for other scope.
Old 28-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

A few years back I built a similar design to Peter's. I power mine from the dewshield controller, which is a dimmer switch. Well... dial.

While I have played with the dimmer dial just to see the effect, I presently take the flats at full power (mainly because I don't know what I'm doing with AP just yet).
Old 28-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I too have a Pete light box, about my third or fourth he has made for me over the years and telescopes.

Get the dimmer as you will find you can fine tune your setup to do LRGB at a lower setting to Narrowband so you can keep above your shutter speed if your camera has one.

LRGB for me is about 7 -20 seconds (red is always longer for me) at about half setting and narrow band about 20 - 30 seconds on flat out.
Old 30-08-2018, 09:55 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shano592 View Post
While I have played with the dimmer dial just to see the effect, I presently take the flats at full power (mainly because I don't know what I'm doing with AP just yet).
full power is ok as long as you're not over exposing the flats.