Old 16-09-2020, 04:03 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Sydney..Mars after Midnight

Seeing has been ordinary of late in Sydney WELL,was half asleep, got up after 1am grabbed my 6se as too lazy to set up the big guns..looked at Jupiter ..Wow..a BIG white oval near the SEB..
Then slew over to Mars ..my Jaw nearly dropped..The best view of the Syrtis Major, Ice cap and BRIGHT Hellas Planitia for years ..even sighted Elysium Mons albedo..now I have a very sharp C6..but that was ridiculous a very steady view too...even an Altair 80 ed showed a lot!

PS:Observation done with 9mm Tak abbe,and 5.5mm meade.A baader contrast Booster "increased the feast"!

If anyone else was up interested in your thoughts ..no sign of dust storms this year!
Bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 16-09-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 17-09-2020, 06:47 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

I was out the same night, excellent seeing conditions, I was using my 18 inch scope mainly on southern Abell galaxy clusters, but the highlights of the night were the sculptor galaxies, the Tarantula neb, NGC 1365 and Mars.
Old 17-09-2020, 10:35 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUS.K View Post
I was out the same night, excellent seeing conditions, I was using my 18 inch scope mainly on southern Abell galaxy clusters, but the highlights of the night were the sculptor galaxies, the Tarantula neb, NGC 1365 and Mars.

Sounds like you took advantage of the excellent seeing..never thought to try 1365 as its a fav in the C925 esp outside Sydney; was just so transfixed by Mars,Jupiter and Saturn split a favourite Pi Aqillae easily at 1.4" into 2 orbs in a C6 I happened to grab at the ready.

Bigjoe.
Old 19-09-2020, 06:32 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thanks for the report Bigjoe,

Once the skies clear up in NQ I shall try inspecting Mars with my guidescope equipped with a fantastic 3.5mm eyepiece I acquired from a fellow IISer
Old 19-09-2020, 11:18 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Thanks for the report Bigjoe,

Once the skies clear up in NQ I shall try inspecting Mars with my guidescope equipped with a fantastic 3.5mm eyepiece I acquired from a fellow IISer
Ha, ..Glad YOUR enjoying it Slawomir..I have a couple I use still but prefer the Tak Toe 4mm 12.5 Abbe and Delites as Bill Paolini says at this level not much between em..all Great EPs...yes Mars is Insane right now on a steady night even a C6 with obstruction showed all you could want to see at ~275x..

PS: A Meade 5.5mm is a top Performer here as is the Baader Contrast Booster ..great for obstructed scopes on just about anything bright.

Cheers Bigjoe.
Old 19-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you for the pointers Joe,

Just got a new baader diagonal and hopefully soon a 5mm delite will arrive as well, so I am pretty much set, just need the skies to clear up.

Wishing you many clear nights
Suavi
Old 20-09-2020, 03:16 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Thank you for the pointers Joe,

Just got a new baader diagonal and hopefully soon a 5mm delite will arrive as well, so I am pretty much set, just need the skies to clear up.

Wishing you many clear nights
Suavi
Thanks..
Lookin good Slawomir...prefer the Baader 1.25" diagonals over taks lesser build quality offering.

Recently sold my outstanding but heavy 10kg plus 130mm TS triplet..not sure what to replace that with but still have a heavy but sharp C925 for details, though thats not a ready scope really needs 2hrs; I'll try insulation again I think.

Cheers Bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 20-09-2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Add