Old 03-03-2015, 01:24 AM
BlackNebula (Mark)
Mark

Which DSLR for beginner AP?

Hi there,

Been in the visual astronomy game for a while now and am looking to go to the next level

I am considering to take the plunge and am looking into getting into some basic astrophotography to start and would appreciate some of your good advice. Yes, I know this is another money pit I could fall into, but here goes!!!

I love nightscapes so would definitly start here and see how it goes. Would also like to dabble into imaging planets etc. I have a Nexstar 8SE & a 12" Dob and understand their limitations in the imaging space so would not initially expect too much.

I have a budget of about +- $800. Any suggestions on which camera would be best suited to my needs and budget would be most appreciated. Reading through the forums Canon seems to be the way to go, also my preference.

And what accessories would I need to get started? Would have to look at a half decent mount of course. But what about T-Rings, an intervalometer etc. are they necessary?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:51 AM
PeterEde (Peter)
Prince Planet

Canon 70D can be had (body only) for just under $1000. Would be my choice for now until the 80D comes out. But that will be closer to $2000
Old 03-03-2015, 01:28 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Most Canons from the 450D up have Liveview and Back Yard EOS ( BYE) software is cheap ( cheaper than an intervalometer ) and would manage an imaging session much better with lots of added features.

1100D was touted a while back as being the bees knees. Been overtaken now but it's quite cheap I'd guess and still a good starting point. One listed on here a week or two ago for only $250 I think for the body.

I bought a $70 450D body with supposedly a problem ( easily fixed ) as a starter, quite happy playing with it. You don''t have to buy new and you can dedicate a cheap camera solely for astro raher than trying to justify it for normal and astro purposes.

BYE is awesome btw

T-Ring is needed for prime focus, you need that to be serious.
EQ5 would be the minimum mount IMHO, EQ6 much better. But that might blow your budget. In Astrophotography the mount is everything.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:44 PM
glend (Glen)

I use a a Canon 450D and it produces some wonderful images. It also does not heat up the way some cameras do - which means less noise. There is a table somewhere that lists the relative signal noise of various models, worth trying to find that.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:24 AM
BlackNebula (Mark)
Mark

Thanks for the feedback guys. Mmmm, it seems I have a bit more reading and digging to do. Still not too sure, the 70D is really awesome but if I still need to get a mount/tripod and a lense I'm in trouble.

Seems you can pick up a 1100D in good nick for about $350/400.

Which lense(s) would be a good start if I pick up a body only? Is is a good idea to get a 450D but splurge on the lense maybe?

Could I not use my Alt Az Nexstar mount with an adaptor as a starting point?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:39 AM
raymo

I bought my 1100D new with 18-55mm on special from Harvey for $297,
so you should get one on ebay for less than that. Incidentally, Brent,
my BYEOS cost almost three times what I paid for my intervalometer.
raymo
Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I bought my 1100D new with 18-55mm on special from Harvey for $297,
so you should get one on ebay for less than that. Incidentally, Brent,
my BYEOS cost almost three times what I paid for my intervalometer.
raymo
3 X ?!
BYE was $39 IIRC (?), Intervalometer, a reasonable one was $78 on DealExtreme for my SONY. A simpler exposure timer was $21 IIRC.

Either way I'm happy with how it's all going ..

Yeah, it's bargain time for slightly superceded cameras. I've just been given an old X700 Konica Minolta (film) but with 4 good lenses including a nice 50mm KM prime and a wide angle. Mount is same as my SONY so some nice options to play with here. I owe a mate a few beers on this.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNebula View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Mmmm, it seems I have a bit more reading and digging to do. Still not too sure, the 70D is really awesome but if I still need to get a mount/tripod and a lense I'm in trouble.

Seems you can pick up a 1100D in good nick for about $350/400.

Which lense(s) would be a good start if I pick up a body only? Is is a good idea to get a 450D but splurge on the lense maybe?

Could I not use my Alt Az Nexstar mount with an adaptor as a starting point?
It's important to decide what targets you're most interested in before buying, as different cameras have different sensor performance in the dark, and you need to factor in optical quality of lenses if you intend to do any wide field shots with them.

You could get a piggy back adaptor for your Nexstar if you're going for a wide (short focal length) lens but you'll still be limited in exposure length. It depends on the focal length of the lens of course, but I've taken 20 second exposures while piggy backing for entertainment value. To use the telescope as the lens you're going to need to use an equatorial mount, as the 8SE has a focal length of over 2000mm, and your exposures would be very short before star trails are apparent.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:40 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Download magic lantern then you've got a free intervalometer
Old 04-03-2015, 07:19 PM
raymo

BYE cost me $56, and my intervalometer was $19.95 inc postage
on ebay. It has worked fine for close to two years now. I bought a
240v adaptor for my 1100D for $12.95 inc postage, so now I rarely use the camera's batteries.
raymo
Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

On a budget you can't go wrong with a 1200D!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:25 AM
BlackNebula (Mark)
Mark

Is there much to separate the 1200D and 1100D? Their prices are fairly similar looking through the classifieds. I hate to do this, but what about the 600D? How does this compare to the 1200D and 1100D?
Just need to mention that I am keen to use for daytime pics as well.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:18 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNebula View Post
Is there much to separate the 1200D and 1100D? Their prices are fairly similar looking through the classifieds. I hate to do this, but what about the 600D? How does this compare to the 1200D and 1100D?
Just need to mention that I am keen to use for daytime pics as well.
If you look at the pixel count the 1100d has 12 mp v 18 mp of the 1200d, while this will give you marginally better resolution, you do better marginally better sensitivity on the 1100d due to its slightly larger pixel size (mp count/APS sensor size).
Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

The additional resolution of the 1200D won't be of much (any?) benefit on the C8, but if you pick up a shorter focal length refractor later you would notice the difference in resolution more.

The 1100D is pretty tried and tested, if getting a little long in the tooth now. Anyone got a 1200D they've been experimenting with?
Old 10-03-2015, 12:11 AM
cheney (Cheney)

I suggest the Nikon D3300 is an entry-level dslr with pro quality, excellent sensor
Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 AM
cheney (Cheney)

Also the Nikon d5300, they are excellent value for money, compare the feature http://thedigitalcamera.net/nikon-d5...he-difference/
Old 10-03-2015, 07:06 AM
glend (Glen)

Just be aware that most of the software for camera control is for Canon, not that you can't use Nikon but its a factor if you want camera control integrated.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Just be aware that most of the software for camera control is for Canon, not that you can't use Nikon but its a factor if you want camera control integrated.
\

Agreed, I am a SONY afficianado but I've bitten the bullet and bought a second hand Canon for astro work. BYE with Liveview and control just makes it so much easier.

Although one day I hear SONY might just added to the BYE capability..... fingers crossed.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:32 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
\

Agreed, I am a SONY afficianado but I've bitten the bullet and bought a second hand Canon for astro work. BYE with Liveview and control just makes it so much easier.

Although one day I hear SONY might just added to the BYE capability..... fingers crossed.
that would be a logical thing to do if they could. A7s will increase the number of sonys used for astro.

on a side note there is now a Nikon version of BYEOS for capture.
http://www.otelescope.com/index.php?/page/index.html
of course you will need a laptop to run.

cheers
Old 06-06-2015, 03:22 PM
BlackNebula (Mark)
Mark

Hi, just reviving my thread. After a bit of a lapse and now finally having the cash available I am quite keen on the Canon 700D. Now it's on special at JB HI-FI for $899 with the twin lense kit. Are there any views on the 700D? Or should I rather look used, they are +-$620-650 on Gumtree?

Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks
Mark