Old 23-09-2011, 09:40 PM
hotspur (Chris)

First attempt at DSS,advice sought

Hello.

This is my very first ever attempt at using DSS,-yes,its awful,but after the struggles in getting guiding-just pleased to get round stars!

there are 8 lights and 5 blacks.all 3m 30 sec each.I had the RAW and JPEGs in the same file-when I opened it in DSS it only had the JPEGs-so will always just put RAW in the folder,So just had a play with what came up-put them in and it did its thing.

When cooked,it popped out,and there was some sort of PP sliders-not sure how to use them,it did not show changes on screen.So played as best I could then took it to CS 5 and played with layers.

What is the standard recipe format for using such PP software?Thanks for any pointers links and advice-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M 45 DSS and CS5 LOW RES.jpg)
186.5 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (adjusted dss M45 crop LOW RES.jpg)
101.6 KB36 views
Old 23-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Ross G

Hi Chris,

I use DSS to debayer, register and stack the photos only. I do not use any of the sliders to process the image.
I save the file as a tiff, ticking the "embed changes but do not apply" button.
I then open the saved tiff file in Photoshop and do all my processing there.

Good luck.

Ross.
Old 24-09-2011, 06:25 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re DSS

Thanks Ross.

I thought that might be the case.Its certainly a large file when all stacked together.I'll have to use another computer to do PP,as my lappy does not have enough RAm to open up the file in CS5.

What tools are most regularly used in CS 5 for these stacked images?

Cheers Chris
Old 24-09-2011, 08:07 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

The only way I can get the Autosave files to open for me in Photoshop is to drag and drop the file onto the Photoshop icon on my desktop.
Levels, Curves, shadows and highlights, and Saturation are the main tools I use.
Old 24-09-2011, 09:42 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
The only way I can get the Autosave files to open for me in Photoshop is to drag and drop the file onto the Photoshop icon on my desktop.
Levels, Curves, shadows and highlights, and Saturation are the main tools I use.
Ta-the auto save file would not open for me in CS5,I had another file that I had fiddled with it DSS-it opened.

The auto save one must have too large added to CS5 running-told me not enough RAM, I'll try on another computer.
Old 24-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

The autosave file is larger than 16 bit, you can also just use the tab .. Save picture to file and select 16 bit tif, that will drop straight into all photoshops.

Good to see you have round stars ..... At last eh.
Old 24-09-2011, 06:11 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re guiding and DSS

Thanks Clive.

Yes-at last!,all of sudden it all just seemed to starting guiding,Think slightly de focusing the guide star may have been the last piece of the jig saw to fall into place.

Ok,what is bayer? I did stack and dark frame subtract,it worked well-niffty program.Is bayer something to do with colour-this image seems very Black and White.

Thanks for advice-Chris
Old 24-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Bayer is the filter just over the top of a one shot color camera chip be it a ccd or a dslr usually in a 4x4 pattern of red blue and green green, the green being diagonally opposites. It varies from camera to camera. Each pixel then records it's color and makes up the real color using pixels immediately next to it, theoretically this degrades the resolution, although generally it's not that noticeable in a print.

Quite frankly when I started using a dslr the RAW tended to go weird, so I just used ( in my case cannons software to decode it into a TIFF file) I found this the easiest and failsafe method of doing it.

So in conclusion change all your RAW files into TIFFs then stack, just label darks etc so there is no confusion.

NEVER shoot in JPG as the bit depth is too shallow to stretch much, jpg is for the final posting or print,
Old 25-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Hi Chris

One IIS member Atalas has several tutes on using Photoshop for astroimageing PP - it's here: http://www.atalas.net/index.php?opti...xpose&Itemid=4 and go to the topic "Tutorial" (lower right-hand bottom of the webpage) and you'll be able to get some very useful tips

HTH
Cheers
Bill