Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 PM
OzRob (Rob)

QHY9 Problem

I am hoping that someone has come across this problem and knows the cause. The problem exists in both Maxim and Nebulousity. The latest QHY and ASCOM drivers are installed. The computer (XP) recongnised the camera and installed the drivers when plugged into the computer. The filter wheel is functioning correctly. Cooling does appear to be initiated but in Maxim the temp getting back to the computer gets colder than the set temp. When an image (light, dark or bias) is taken most of the time it locks up while exposing or downloading the image. In Maxim you can stop the exposure so it is not Maxim locking up. The few images that have downloaded have all been dark (ie almost all zeros). All the lights on the camera and controller box are as normal and the shutter is moving during the exposures. Any ideas???
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

You might try another power cable as bad connections are often the cause of these things. I had similar thing happen when I bent a pin without knowing. It all seemed to work but the pics were black and the peltier off the scale.

Mark
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Hagar (Doug)

One such problem I had ended up being the cable from the DC controller to the camera wasn't being inserted far enough to make a good connection. Using a stanley knife I trimmed a little from the outer plastic end over the plug and that fixed the problem.

The other problem I had with both these programs happened when an abort or stop was given part way through an image. The camera requires quite a while to clear the image from the camera and allow a reset. During this time, any change to any setting on the program leaves the camera locked up electronically. It will display images which are totally black. You have to completely disconnect the camera from all sources of supply, DC and USB and reboot the computer to release the driver. This should reset everything and allow it to work again. This one had me totally stumped for quite a while and also happened with the Atik camera I had.

Failling this you could have a faulty DC converter or camera fault.

Good luck Rob.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
One such problem I had ended up being the cable from the DC controller to the camera wasn't being inserted far enough to make a good connection. Using a stanley knife I trimmed a little from the outer plastic end over the plug and that fixed the problem.

The other problem I had with both these programs happened when an abort or stop was given part way through an image. The camera requires quite a while to clear the image from the camera and allow a reset. During this time, any change to any setting on the program leaves the camera locked up electronically. It will display images which are totally black. You have to completely disconnect the camera from all sources of supply, DC and USB and reboot the computer to release the driver. This should reset everything and allow it to work again. This one had me totally stumped for quite a while and also happened with the Atik camera I had.

Failling this you could have a faulty DC converter or camera fault.

Good luck Rob.
Thanks Doug. We will try the plug idea first. The camera and computer have been turned off a couple of times already with no success. Although I have noticed that on the first attempt an image is usually produced but not afterwards. If it is not the plug I am hoping that it a software issue as there is a lot of software loaded on the computer. Perhaps there is a conflict somewhere.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Tandum (Robin)

It's done that to me as well Rob and I've always blamed USB and normally a reboot has fixed it for me. Or try shorter usb leads, 5meters is really too long. They bury the camera under so many software layers now and most cameras are the same .. maxim -> ascom -> ascom driver -> windows driver -> camera it's hard to find the problem. Download easycap or whatever they call it now, it should talk directly to the windows driver.