Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Canon DSLR to Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom EP

Hello,

I'm investigating purchasing a Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom EP for photography through my Coronado PST. I have seen some stunning images done by using this Eyepiece and a DSLR. In my research I am getting conflicting reports about how to connect a DSLR to the EP. Some reports say I will need to get a M42 to T2 adaptor which is sold seperetly and others seem to read like there are some adpators included with the EP. I have a T-ring for the Canon. Just wondering if anyone has experience with connecting a DSLR to a Baader Hyperion? And if you own one- where abouts did you get it from? Store in Australia or On-line from somewhere?

Cheers

Greg
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I bought standard hyp thru Andrews, not the zoom..the rings are usually an add-on the standard thread used to be m42, but I think it changed..
From outcrop"
Small Hyperion rubber eyecup added to fit M43 thread
Camera adapter thread changed from SP 54 to M43(SONY) for a variety of afocal camera adaptations
Accepts photo-adapter HTA43T2 (M42x0.75) for easy and rigid adaptation of various DSLR-T-Mount rings

So looks like it is not included, I would be buying from optcorp or similar eg bhphoto with out dollar..I think it's down to about 250US
Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

II Have the answer

Hi Greg.. I can help you with this one as I have both a fixed Hyperion 17mm and a mark 111 zoom 8 -24.. They DO NOT come standard with the adaptors you need to connect to your T Adaptor...

The current Hyperion Zoom eypiece will need the following adaptor: Hyperion Zoom T-Ring SP54 - T2 Part Number 2958085

Hyperion Fixed Eypiece uses a different adaptor as follows:
Hyperion T-Adaptor M43 - T2 Part Number 2958080

I fell into the trap of thinking one adaptor did it all, but found it not to be the case, and many people will take a guess at this.. The adaptor you need for the zoom lense will cost you around $15 - 20 dependent on where you purchase from. Look for a Baader Dealer.. I purchased one of mine overseas and the other from Bintel if I remember...

I hope this clears things up for you.

Very Best Regards
Mardy
Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 AM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
I bought standard hyp thru Andrews, not the zoom..the rings are usually an add-on the standard thread used to be m42, but I think it changed..
From outcrop"
Small Hyperion rubber eyecup added to fit M43 thread
Camera adapter thread changed from SP 54 to M43(SONY) for a variety of afocal camera adaptations
Accepts photo-adapter HTA43T2 (M42x0.75) for easy and rigid adaptation of various DSLR-T-Mount rings

So looks like it is not included, I would be buying from optcorp or similar eg bhphoto with out dollar..I think it's down to about 250US
Thank you so much for the info and clearing that up Daniel I really appreciate it. Now to shop around for somewhere that can do both the EP and the adaptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Hi Greg.. I can help you with this one as I have both a fixed Hyperion 17mm and a mark 111 zoom 8 -24.. They DO NOT come standard with the adaptors you need to connect to your T Adaptor...

The current Hyperion Zoom eypiece will need the following adaptor: Hyperion Zoom T-Ring SP54 - T2 Part Number 2958085

Hyperion Fixed Eypiece uses a different adaptor as follows:
Hyperion T-Adaptor M43 - T2 Part Number 2958080

I fell into the trap of thinking one adaptor did it all, but found it not to be the case, and many people will take a guess at this.. The adaptor you need for the zoom lense will cost you around $15 - 20 dependent on where you purchase from. Look for a Baader Dealer.. I purchased one of mine overseas and the other from Bintel if I remember...

I hope this clears things up for you.

Very Best Regards
Mardy
Thank you so much for the information and clearing that up Mardy I read somewhere online and Daniel mentions it here as well that the thread has changed now on the mark III zoom to M42 to match the fixed ones. Is your zoom a mark III?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Yes Greg My Zoom is the latest Mark 111. I only just purchased it some months ago, as I did the fixed lens as well. I purchased then both from Scope City in San Fran on my trip to the States..

I was giving you all the expert advice all based on what was told to me in the shop; however I have not used either of them with my Canon camera. I just have both lenses and both adaptors ready to use as sold to me and explained to me... After reading what Dannat had to say and not altogether believing him, I got all my adaptors out to have a test..

It turns out Dannat is correct and the M43 / T2 adaptor Part number 2958080 fits both. The other adaptor they sold me DOES NOT and is useless to me...

It seems that they have changed back the Mark 11 to the old fitting to keep it standard.. I think you now have the confirmation you need.. Sorry that I also led you astray to start with, but I also have been victim of the same it seems..

Regards
Mardy
Old 12-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

I have the Mark III zoom and yes you need to get the adapter for M42. I just take the eyepiece cup off, screw on the adapter and screw it straight into the T-adapter on my Canon. Works great in my scopes and it the only eye piece I use on the PST.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirisra View Post
I have the Mark III zoom and yes you need to get the adapter for M42. I just take the eyepiece cup off, screw on the adapter and screw it straight into the T-adapter on my Canon. Works great in my scopes and it the only eye piece I use on the PST.
Thank you very much Ken Good to know that I'm investigating the right EP for the job. May I ask where you brought the adaptor from? I'm having trouble tracking it down. Plenty of people selling the Mark III but not adaptors.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

I got the EP and adapter from Agena, they have lots of good gear and good pricing. As soon as you add the EP the adapter comes up as an option.

http://agenaastro.com/baader-8-24mm-...-eyepiece.html
Old 13-09-2011, 04:25 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirisra View Post
I got the EP and adapter from Agena, they have lots of good gear and good pricing. As soon as you add the EP the adapter comes up as an option.

http://agenaastro.com/baader-8-24mm-...-eyepiece.html
Awesome Thanks for that Ken. Look out bank balance........