Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM
WingnutR32 (Sam)

Recommend me a refractor for AP use

Hi IIS,

Whilst I am in the process of building my backyard ob (typical roll-off roof design), I have been considering a refractor to mate up to my QHY9-M.

I also need to consider how I will go about mounting the scope. I am using a HEQ5-Pro mount, C8 SCT with a piggybacked Orion ShortTube 80 for guiding.

Would I just replace the ShortTube with a new refractor for imaging and guide through the C8 or, (what I would consider perhaps working better), mounting a new refractor to the HEQ5 and piggybacking the ShortTube 80 on top of the other refractor for guiding.

I see a fair few of you use the Orion ED80T, which understandably has been getting really nice results. I have been considering the WO FLT 98 but at more than double the price of the ED80T, is it worth it, I have also been considering the Meade 6000 series?

Basically, I have nearly made it to the point where I have 'over-researched' my options and now just need someone to tell me:

1: Buy this scope
2: Attach it this way

Regards
Sam

Edit:
The refractor will be used for DSO Nebula photos, I will continue to use the C8 for planetary work and deep galaxies (unless the refractor is capable of this too?)

Last edited by WingnutR32; 05-09-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-09-2011, 03:02 PM
WingnutR32 (Sam)

I realise that there is another thread currently on going in the Equipment Discussions page on a similar line, however, I felt that a more personal thread was neccessary for me as I will be about to hand over $3k to someone for a scope that will hopefully be a final purchase for the next few years.

I have been in contact with Luke from Andrews Comms and Matthew from telescopes-astronomy.com.au in regards to the above.

Luke has suggested I take a squiz at the Long Perng 110mm Doublet and the Bosma 102mm Triplet.

I am waiting for Matthew to get back to me on his suggestions.

Does anyone else here have any suggestions for me? The FLT 98 sounds like a fab scope, but so does the FLT 110, and then the list goes on with more scopes that are equally fantastic on the spec sheets.

Cheers
Sam
Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

The megrez 90 in classifieds is a fair buy imo
Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Sam, Tak fs102. It's a keeper.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 AM
WingnutR32 (Sam)

Cheers for the replies,

The Megrez 90 does sound like a very decent buy, but I would really prefer a triplet.

Robin, I cannot seem to locate a TAK FS-102 on AEC's website.

A Takahashi would be a great scope, but given my age, I have plenty of time before I dabble into a Tak.

I would prefer to locate a scope in Australia, and would prefer to purchase and receive before the 23rd of September (dark sky trip).

Still awaiting Matthew's reply in regards to his suggestions and stock availability, so in terms of stock levels, the FLT 98 may have to be the only 'currently available' option.

Do you think I would be disappointed with a FLT 98?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Poita (Peter)

You might be getting a bit heavy for the mount, maybe use an off axis guider with the C8 when possible?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 AM
WingnutR32 (Sam)

Peter,

My tracking seems to be quite adequate with the C8 and piggybacked 80. (Adequate from my beginners POV)

I would think moving to something with the size of the FLT 98 would then be even less weight to worry about.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Poita (Peter)

I thought you were talking about adding yet another scope and keeping the ED80 as your guide scope. I'm half asleep.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
WingnutR32 (Sam)

Haha no worries Peter.

I do plan on adding a scope, just not at the same time

It will either be a C8 piggybacked ST80 or a triplet refractor piggybacked ST80.

I'm still waiting for Matthew to reply, otherwise I may end up with an FLT98 (plus Flattener Type 4) from Luke at Andrews.

I would love a Tak, but simply cannot justify it whilst I'm also getting the observatory built at home.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
TheDecepticon

I would go with Luke from Andrew's. They are very good to deal with.