Old 01-04-2016, 10:28 AM
glend (Glen)

Image Registration - How to do it?

I am just getting into mono imaging with my newly modded mono DSLR, shooting narrow band over several nights on the same object I wind up with slight orientation differences on the stacked TIFs for HA, OIII, and SII. I know that DSS registers the subs taken on each filter when I stack them, but how do I align the final TIFs before I layer them in Photoshop? Is this a job for a plate solver, or does an app like Register do it, or is there a Photoshop function I am missing?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

forgive me if i have missed something here, but you can move the channels in Photoshop, doing a free transform to rotate and align the different stacked channels. you dont need to register the tiffs, just manipulate them in PS
Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM
glend (Glen)

Yes the Auto-Align function might do it but I was not sure of the precision of that PS function. If that's what is being used then great I can do that. Thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

That is all I use, zooming in so the individual pixels are visible then looking at a small star and making adjustments, once I get one star perfect I move the rotation point there and go to the other corner and rotate so it also lines up. If there is a better way to do it I would be keen hear about it
Old 01-04-2016, 01:13 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi glen,

I think there is maybe a way to register them in DSS to a calibration image but the easiest way has probably got to be RegiStar, that is why I bought it, so quick and easy to use. Trying to align in PS is a nightmare (as you have figured out already!). I know PixInsight can do it too (and probably CCD stack) but I haven't used them. I think Rick or Ray did a topic about 6-8 months ago that went through a few different options from memory.

Cheers

Russ
Old 01-04-2016, 02:39 PM
DJT (David)

With dss you can have multiple tabs. Group your subs for each filter plus flats etc then select the best light to register the others against. There is some Good documentation out there and it saves a lot of faff nudging things around in PS
Old 01-04-2016, 06:09 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Pixinsight looks after registration and combination of mono images pretty well. I assume the batch processing script would work for dslr images.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:45 PM
glend (Glen)

Thanks but I won't be using Pixelinsight.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Struggle wrestling DSS and PS to kludge a solution, or use PI at a fraction of the cost of PS and it just works... Hmmm. I know which path makes sense to me.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

sorry Glen, but another vote for Pixinsight from here. Powerful and effective for both DSLR and CCD image processing.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Hello Glen
I used this video to help me learn to stack LRGB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUmbneJTg3Q

In DSS, register and stack your various channels (LRGB Ha whatever) then once you have done that do another register with your already stacked channels BUT make sure you tick "Register already registered pictures" in settings AND in the stacking parameters settings/Intermediate Files tab tick "Create a Registered file for each light frame". Also set one of your lights as the reference frame.

That will create some .reg (red.reg/Green.reg etc)files and they are the ones to then combine in PS.
That's what I do anyway
Hope it helps
Jeremy