Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 15-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Paul Haese

No and won't upgrade. Having no option to turn off updates is no good for remote imaging. That could result in the destruction of equipment.
Old 15-12-2015, 10:51 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Win 10 is ok if you want to relinquish all thoughts of privacy.
If they insist I have Win 10 I'm going for Ubuntu.
Given some of the horror stories around here about Win I'm surprised more people don't make the switch. No privacy issues that I'm aware of (please correct me if I am wrong) and installing updates doesn't require a restart.

I left Ubuntu after they inflicted the Unity desktop on me and switched to Mint, which is Ubuntu under the hood but with the MATE, Cinnamon or KDE desktops. I notice Ubuntu now supports MATE so perhaps I could switch back. On the other hand AFAIK the Astro Distro is just Mint running the MATE desktop with a shed load of astro apps pre-installed and a night-vision mode. I haven't played with it much so I can't comment on whether there are any down sides but I doubt it.
Old 15-12-2015, 04:13 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
No and won't upgrade. Having no option to turn off updates is no good for remote imaging. That could result in the destruction of equipment.

But Rob says

Quote:
if you don’t want Windows 10 automatically downloading updates on your home network connection, just set it as a metered connection.
To change this option, open the Settings app, select Network & Internet, scroll down, and select “Advanced options” below the list of Wi-Fi networks. Enable the “Set as metered connection” option. This option only affects the Wi-Fi network you’re currently connected to, but Windows will remember this setting for each individual Wi-Fi network
Old 15-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
But Rob says
So what does a metered connection mean? Does it mean I will decide when to do the updates or does it decide when the system is connected to the internet, which always in the case of remote imaging? If it decides it will do a reboot in the middle of the night after it installs an update this will cause a failure in the roof drive system to close should the sky conditions change. I know this because I have had this once before in the early days of setting up the automation. Fortunately it was a cloud free night but it could have been catastrophic. I now have windows updates turn off all the time. And; hence my comment. Failure is not an option in this situation. I am sure Microsoft just wants everyone on the same system so that each computer is always up to date. No doubt this sort of situation is not even in their purview, but remote science experiments would also potentially suffer from reboots.
Old 15-12-2015, 06:43 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
So what does a metered connection mean? Does it mean I will decide when to do the updates or does it decide when the system is connected to the internet, which always in the case of remote imaging? If it decides it will do a reboot in the middle of the night after it installs an update this will cause a failure in the roof drive system to close should the sky conditions change. I know this because I have had this once before in the early days of setting up the automation. Fortunately it was a cloud free night but it could have been catastrophic. I now have windows updates turn off all the time. And; hence my comment. Failure is not an option in this situation. I am sure Microsoft just wants everyone on the same system so that each computer is always up to date. No doubt this sort of situation is not even in their purview, but remote science experiments would also potentially suffer from reboots.

Windows 10 is absolutely fantastic. I love it - seriously. But I don't recommend it for your remote observatory for the reasons you state. Stick to 8.1 for the moment that has all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks.

I have run into update issues with my remote observatory already. It waits until you are doing nothing before an update which is great unless you are waiting for an occultation! MS will have to relax that behaviour for businesses to adopt it, so maybe it will be a short lived policy to get over the inevitable glitches...

(Thinking about it, I wonder if I set the observatory LAN to Metered and fool it to not update!)
Old 15-12-2015, 06:52 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
What version of Photoshop?
Photoshop CC. I have the $10 a month subscription so it offers me updates quite regularly.

Ulrich
Old 15-12-2015, 08:15 PM
alpal

Quote:

Hi Paul,
I don't know what a metered connection means.
I agree that a re-boot would be disastrous for an observatory.
Microsoft needs to make their software better - not worse.

cheers
Allan
Old 15-12-2015, 08:15 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwahl View Post
Photoshop CC. I have the $10 a month subscription so it offers me updates quite regularly.

Ulrich
OK thanks - I'm using PS CS5.

cheers
Allan
Old 17-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

I upgraded on Monday 14/12/2015. Mostly works, but File Explorer is frustrating the Hell out of me and lots of other people as well
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8f2e1e3?page=1
I'll fiddle with it for a while, since there are lots of other things I like, but an OS with a troublesome file explorer is just not on. I have a month to return to Windows 7 and I'll be keeping that deadline in mind.
Geoff
Old 17-12-2015, 06:44 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
I upgraded on Monday 14/12/2015. Mostly works, but File Explorer is frustrating the Hell out of me and lots of other people as well
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8f2e1e3?page=1
I'll fiddle with it for a while, since there are lots of other things I like, but an OS with a troublesome file explorer is just not on. I have a month to return to Windows 7 and I'll be keeping that deadline in mind.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
so you can return to Win 7 -that's great.

Let us all know how you go.

cheers
Allan
Old 17-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
The OBs PC has a very specific task. Point, take pics and guide. Once it does those perfectly, their is absolutely no reason to update ANYTHING. The only possible result of updating something that does exactly what its supposed to do is the same or something less than what its supposed to do. Golden rule for an OBs PC, once its working, LEAVE IT ALONE. Ill be happy with win 7, sky 6, DL5 for the next 10 yrs (unless im forced to upgrade with new astro hardware).
Old 17-12-2015, 07:35 PM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool

Quote:
So what does a metered connection mean? Does it mean I will decide when to do the updates .....
Absolutely just set your PC’s home Wi-Fi connection as metered and you’ll get to choose.
Note: this only works for Wi-Fi

I've set up a second router with the same SSID connected via ethernet in the obs and use high speed wi-fi to connect the computer
NO more automated downloads of windows ever
Old 22-12-2015, 10:00 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Yes, must admit I have no plans to touch all the astro applications on my Win 7 lappy. If its working, don't touch it. Like DAW software, too much hardware and O/S dependence to be risking any tweaking (unless there is a clear massive performance increase with new hardware as well).

As per Fred - if its taking pics ok, no reason to change for an astro data acquisition PC.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:07 AM
alpal

My computer almost upgraded to Win 10 on Thursday night.
It didn't give me a way to opt out.
Many people I know have been "upgraded" to Win10 without their permission.

The solution -
I loaded this program called never10 from Gibson research:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It works well & removes the Win10 symbol in the task bar too.

cheers
Allan
Old 10-06-2016, 12:49 AM
Sarge (Rod)

Mid last year I bought 2 new Toshiba laptops (one for the wife and one for me, saves her borrowing mine ). They came with Win 8.1 with free upgrade to Win 10.
Couple of months ago, I did the Win 10 upgrade on my wife's laptop. It all seemed to download and install ok. Then we noticed constant internet wi-fi drop outs, extremely long startup (over 10 mins) and very slow cpu speed. I spent several days trying to fix all the issues, but that barely made any difference.
So went back to Win 8.1. Not even thinking about upgrading my laptop.

Clear skies
Rod
Old 11-06-2016, 08:37 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Mid last year I bought 2 new Toshiba laptops (one for the wife and one for me, saves her borrowing mine ). They came with Win 8.1 with free upgrade to Win 10.
Couple of months ago, I did the Win 10 upgrade on my wife's laptop. It all seemed to download and install ok. Then we noticed constant internet wi-fi drop outs, extremely long startup (over 10 mins) and very slow cpu speed. I spent several days trying to fix all the issues, but that barely made any difference.
So went back to Win 8.1. Not even thinking about upgrading my laptop.

Clear skies
Rod

Make sure you load never10 - or it will do it without permission.
Old 14-06-2016, 09:59 AM
alpal

I am so angry with Microsoft.

I got the email below about my email client which is Win live mail.
I can't understand it.
It seems that Microsoft want me to pay $89 a year to use their
new email client & that it only works in Win10.
My WinLive Mail is also connected to a hotmail account along with my providers account -
so 2 different email accounts.
It doesn't say whether the old Winlive mail will synchronise with the
new email account so that all my folders & sent messages will still be there.
It looks like the new email account for Win10 won't work with Win7 that I have.
If I click the link for a free Office 365 personal it doesn't work.

I don't know what to do now.

Reminder: Action required for users of the Windows Live Mail 2012 application Dear User,

Earlier this year we introduced a new Outl*ook*.*com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done. The new Outlo*ok*.*com delivers an exciting set of new experiences across web, phone, and desktop, and we’re eager for you to start using it. It appears that you are currently using the Windows Live Mail 2012 application to connect to your Out*look*.*com account. The Windows Live Mail 2012 application does not support the synchronization technologies used by the new Outl*ook*.*com. When account upgrades begin at the end of June, you will no longer be able to receive email sent to your Out*look*.*com account in the Windows Live Mail 2012 application. Rest assured, you can always access your email by logging into Out*look*.*com from any web browser, and you will continue to have access to all your data that is currently in the Windows Live Mail 2012 application. If you currently use the Windows Live Mail 2012 application, we recommend that you switch to the Mail app in Windows to*day. The Mail app is built in to Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, and has a more modern design. To begin using it, simply launch the app and add your Out*look*.*com account. If you are using Windows 7, you can upgrade to a newer version of Windows to enjoy the Mail app and the other benefits. If you do not wish to upgrade, you can access your account via a web browser, or, you can take advantage of a free one-year subscription of Office 365 Personal , and use Outl*ook 2016 to connect to your account.* This Off*ice 365 subscription also includes other productivity applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel. It works on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10. Please take action before Ju*ne 30th, 2016, which is when we’ll begin upgrading accounts that currently use the Windows Live Mail 2012 application. If you have more questions, please find answers to common FAQs in this help article, or you can contact Microsoft support. We recognize that changes like this can be difficult, and apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. We hope that you’ll enjoy the benefits of moving to the new Outl*ook*.*com. Sincerely,
Outl*ook*.*com team https://asgcdn.azureedge.net/general...o_g_double.png *Must redeem by October 15, 2016. Valid for first time Office 365 subscriber. Credit card required; cancel anytime at www.office.com/myaccount. See full terms here. Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our Privacy Statement. Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 http://click.microsoftemails.com/ope...137576&d=70012
Old 14-06-2016, 10:02 AM
alpal

Hold on - the link is working now:

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...p_GetO365Offer

$89 every year - thanks Microsoft - you thieves.
Old 14-06-2016, 02:03 PM
alpal

To me it looks like Microsoft is deliberately getting rid of basic vital
functions like email & your old programs that work perfectly -
in order to make a new business model to get money out of every person
who wants to send an email or 1000 other things.

This is a new way they have invented to make money.
I notice that Adobe is trying the same trick with Photoshop on a subscription plan.

Windows 10 is a straight money grab for things that you used to get for free
or that you've already paid for in older versions.

I had a trial version of Outlook 2013 for an email client &
it can't retrieve the email files from Win Live Mail even
though it's a Microsoft product!

If you try to go the other way & export them from Win Live Mail
to Outlook it doesn't work either -
it asks for some sort of corporate installation of Outlook &
then doesn't explain what that means.

Microsoft has created a nightmare for everyone in order to make money.
Old 14-06-2016, 02:41 PM
alpal

I am thinking of downloading Mozilla Thunderbird.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Any comments?