Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2019, 05:56 PM
TerryC

Queenslanders

I thought I might share the message I got from astroboy:

God I love Queensland , a haven for retarded rednecks and demented old farts Which are you ?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:19 PM
rrussell1962

Often the latter, depends on how much XXXX I have drunk.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:21 PM
TerryC

Me too LOL
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Somewhat of an annoying generalized description of Queenslanders by astroboy, when I'm a Queenslander who fits neither category he came up with.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:42 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Spent 2 weeks back in QLD (where I lived for 40 years) over Christmas and New Year. Was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO relieved to get "home" to ACT again. Whole family felt the same. Can tolerate 40° all day so long as humidity is low, but even 26° with 80% humidity in QLD drives me insane. I broke out in pimples like a teenager.

Wife and I decided unequivocally NOT to retire in QLD as we once thought we would.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:46 PM
rrussell1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Spent 2 weeks back in QLD (where I lived for 40 years) over Christmas and New Year. Was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO relieved to get "home" to ACT again. Whole family felt the same. Can tolerate 40° all day so long as humidity is low, but even 26° with 80% humidity in QLD drives me insane. I broke out in pimples like a teenager.

Wife and I decided unequivocally NOT to retire in QLD as we once thought we would.
Oh Lewis, and I had made up the spare room for you until you found a house.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:

Weather is actually quite mild even in North QLD, and for a Polish dude, after he has lived in Darwin for a couple of years

Our indoors weather station indicated 29.2C and 86% humidity today at home and we didn't even feel like turning on the aircon. Speaking of humidity, I must check my scopes and the state of desiccant in the boxes.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:35 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
Oh Lewis, and I had made up the spare room for you until you found a house.
The telescope room?
Old 11-01-2019, 07:59 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post

God I love Queensland , a haven for retarded rednecks and demented old farts Which are you ?
I'm not sure actually ... might ask the Wife ...she'd know ....
Old 11-01-2019, 08:09 PM
h0ughy (David)

Wow what a loaded question!

Since some of my astrobuddies are queenslanders I feel as though I have met some of the most wonderful and unique people on the planet.

Still wondering which planet though ;-)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:12 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
... some of the most wonderful and unique people on the planet.

Priceless
Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Planet Astrofest?
Old 11-01-2019, 08:58 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I might be getting close to being an Old Fart, I hope Astroboy may be so lucky to reach that age.
But demented?never.
Red Neck, no chance in the whole wide world.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:56 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:

I spent three weeks in Brisbane over Christmas/ New Year, staying at my son's place. I agree completely. He has been trying to get me to move there, but that combo of heat and humidity was terrible (and I live on Lake Macquarie). It never seemed to cool off in the evening, and no breeze to speak of. I was having to go out at 5am to try to get my cardiac rehab walk done before it became to stiffling to leave the air con. I did eventually find out where all the local oldies go for their walks, Westfield Carindale.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:08 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post

Hmmm, lemme check:
Born: Toowoomba, apparently still has a functioning KKK chapter - CHECK
Living for the other 37 years in Townsville - CHECK
Drives a Falcon 1 Tonner, but wishes I had an F100 - CHECK
Owns no less than 3 Guns 'N Roses T-shirts. Still looking for a Cold Chisel singlet from the Salvo's Shop - CHECK
Retarded: Ay, I don't appreciate that! I can count to potato!
Old fart? Well, perhaps if I excel at point #5, I needn't worry about that!

Last edited by AndyG; 11-01-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:41 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I spent three weeks in Brisbane over Christmas/ New Year, staying at my son's place. I agree completely. He has been trying to get me to move there, but that combo of heat and humidity was terrible (and I live on Lake Macquarie). It never seemed to cool off in the evening, and no breeze to speak of. I was having to go out at 5am to try to get my cardiac rehab walk done before it became to stiffling to leave the air con. I did eventually find out where all the local oldies go for their walks, Westfield Carindale.
High humidity in Brisbane, at night, in summer is normal. The humidity always gets worse at night, and the previous day's heat doesn't really fade away till about 2am.

5am for your walk is too late. It is already becoming too hot by then, and the night's humidity has yet to start falling. You should have been doing your walk when it is actually cool. 4am.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:53 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Next month I travel to Queensland (and maybe northern NSW incl. Byron Bay), after 33 years when I visited Qld in my first Australia trip.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:49 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Skysurfer, my wife and I went to Byron Bay 32 yrs ago and found it a quiet, beautiful little seaside town and stayed a few days. Went back last year where there was a traffic jam on the way in and so many people that we left almost straight away. I think you will notice that things have changed a lot. There and on Qld coast. Cheers, Richard.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:36 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Next month I travel to Queensland (and maybe northern NSW incl. Byron Bay), after 33 years when I visited Qld in my first Australia trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Skysurfer, my wife and I went to Byron Bay 32 yrs ago and found it a quiet, beautiful little seaside town and stayed a few days. Went back last year where there was a traffic jam on the way in and so many people that we left almost straight away. I think you will notice that things have changed a lot. There and on Qld coast. Cheers, Richard.
Byron Bay was great in the 1970s. In the 1980s, development started picking up as the popularity grew. 1990s, and Byron was fast losing what made it a great place to visit. Have a look at how the place is now, in Google Maps Street View, and compare that to what you remember.

As for the Gold Coast, if you don't drive, don't go. Over the course of the past 25 years, the systematic de-organization of public transport, and the re-arranging of road routes to suit Business, have turned getting around on the Gold Coast into a dog's breakfast.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:54 PM
TerryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
As for the Gold Coast, if you don't drive, don't go. Over the course of the past 25 years, the systematic de-organization of public transport, and the re-arranging of road routes to suit Business, have turned getting around on the Gold Coast into a dog's breakfast.
No longer true since the new tram service was completed. I rate Gold Coast public transport as excellent today.