Old 08-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Allan

SDM Star Party

I am planning to hold a star party at my astro property in Coolah, NSW, for all SDM owners. It will be a fun occasion to get as many fine, large dobs together at the one time and place for some great observing under a very dark sky.

I hope to attract some overseas invitees, and therefore am planning the event for 2019. This should provide everyone with enough time to schedule the star party into their diary.

My idea is to invite as many people as possible who played a part in the construction of our SDM telescopes. I know Mike Lockwood quite well, and he is a super nice guy who wants to visit Australia, so this may be the opportunity. Carl Zambuto is also another great person, and someone we would enjoy having here. Then there's that Peter Read guy who would probably come along. I can think of a dozen more similar people, so you get the idea.

I want to kick off by compiling a list of all the SDM owners who are interested in attending the star party. The list will be controlled and only shared amongst people who contact me. If you would like to PM me and we will get the ball rolling on what should be a great star party.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:38 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

Hi Allan,

Have PM'd you my details.

If the planets align, would love to participate.

Paul
Old 09-12-2017, 01:58 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Same for me, thank you Allan. Eric
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Hi Allan, Comments deleted . Not appropriate for this forum . Apologies !!. John can you please modify to remove . Thankyou !!

Last edited by Zubenel; 09-12-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:25 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenel View Post
Hi Allan, There is a closed FB SDM Owners Club Group that is administered by Jonathan Bradshaw of which I am honoured to be an adoptee. It could be the perfect forum for discussion and communication ? A group of us gathered at the 2016 Qld Astrofest and had a blast . I can only imagine what this gathering will be like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Allan,

I would like to be in on this party - but please do not rely on Facebook for communications. Many of us do not do FB and will never do so.

John
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I'm in!

I don't think everyone on the Facebook "SDM Telescopes Owners Group" is on IIS, so it's worth joining us and posting up an invite.

@John, whilst FB itself may be worth avoiding, FB Groups are the new and much improved Yahoo Groups which are full of fascinating special interest topics and a wealth of information - Worth having a look at.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Anna and I are interested Allan but have the same thoughts as John B in regards to FB
Old 09-12-2017, 01:42 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstream View Post
Anna and I are interested Allan but have the same thoughts as John B in regards to FB
But surely a closed group of like minded people AKA SDM owners has very little effect to it by being on face book.?
You don't have to involve yourself in any other forum or discusions or groups if you dont want to.
People who are on face book are just normal people like you and I.
Cheers
Old 09-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Allan

Firstly, I’ve just been in the air for the last day, and checking back in found I’ve been bombarded with PM’s, which is great. Seems there’s a lot of interest to hold our SDM Star Party. I will contact everyone back via PM soon.

I understand the Facebook thing, I rarely use it. Many SDM owners don’t use IIS. These days everyone has email, so that’s the forum that will allow all of us to manage communication in a private group setting, and FB and IIS can supplement that. It will take a little time to get established and then should build on itself as more people become involved.

I’m very pleased by the messages. Standby for more information shortly.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Hi Allan, you could make your own SDM Star Party Group if you so wish? I do understand ppl not wanting to engage using the general FB however as Jonathan B says the closed groups are extremely good at getting people with a specific interest together such as Smart Phone Astrophotgraphy , Single exposure Astrophotgraphy, DSLR Astro Images, ... and the list goes on! Cheers 🍻 PM Sent👍🏻
Old 30-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Hi all, I’m interested too!
Old 30-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Allan

Excellent Rod, I will send you a message.

We have a dozen owners on the email list now, and I have details of all the other owners I will use to contact them come 2018.

We already have our first international visitor confirmed, as Mike Lockwood has committed to attending the star party and also doing some presentations for us. So we are off to a good start.