Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 17-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Problems connecting SkySafari to Synscan via serial cable

I am trying to connect Skysafari on my MacBook Pro to the Synscan goto system on my mount via a serial cable but I get the following error message in Skysafari:

"Connection failure - SkySafari 6 Plus can make a TCP/IP network connection to the telescope's IP address, but the scope is not responding. Make sure it is connected and powered on. Also check that your scope type is correct."

Yes, the mount is powered on and fully initialised, although I am not sure what menu item I should have open. There does not appear to be an obvious menu item. I have version 3.27 (The mount is actually a Vixen GPD with a complete Synscan goto upgrade). I have the scope type set to Skywatcher Synscan and the mount type set to Equatorial goto (German) in the Skysafari Telescope set up window.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Old 17-01-2019, 05:41 PM
Wavytone

It’s looking for a wifi connection - not a serial port.

You may be somewhat disappointed though as the SynScan app is also required concurrently on an iPhone or iPad and skysafari communicates with that not the mount.

I got it working a couple of times but found it clunky and unreliable - if the Mac or iPhone sleeps the connection breaks and you have to start over from scratch.
Old 17-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)

Thanks for your thoughts Nick.
SkySafari provides for a serial RS-232 connection option to a mount and SynScan provides for a serial RS-232 connection from a computer. So the option should work independent of Wi-Fi options.
The error message in my earlier post suggests that SkySafari has found the mount but the mount is not responding.
Hence my query.
I am using a MacBook so, I do not need the SynScan App. Drop outs because of the MacBook going to sleep can be easily solved.
Old 18-01-2019, 04:32 AM
Malcolm

It might be worth trying a SynScan WiFi unit and connect the Mac to it. Check out the support forum as well.
Old 18-01-2019, 10:16 PM
silv (Annette)

In this case
https://support.simulationcurriculum...6-pro-in-MacOS the Skysafari support guy immediately suspects the cable / driver and recommends a Keyspan cable.

If that doesn't sound like your problem you could open a separate thread on their support forum?

I run 10.12.6 , have an old Prolific adapter, an iOptron mount and instead of SkySafari, I used Kstars as planetarium app.
Completely different to your setup

I mention it because if you can't get hold of a Keyspan-adapter quickly, you could at least test your setup using kstars. Kstars isn't quite as fancy as Skysafari, though. Just meant as a testing suggestion to figure out if it's a SkySafari-specific issue or an issue with your adapter or cable connections.
Old 18-01-2019, 11:55 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Sounds like you need eqmod and a different planetarium program, you have the cables already. If you have a synscan hand controller, I'm assuming you do, don't forget to put it in pc direct mode.
Old 19-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I used to run my EQ6 via sky safari with no problems.
I have a keyspan RS-232 > usb device which plugs into the base of the Synscan hand controller. Assuming you have the port & driver selected correctly it works without problems.

I still use this on my TAK NJP, but plugged directly to the Temma unit, not thru the hand controller, as there is no available socket on a Tak HC.
Old 28-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)

Thank you Andy, Karl, Annette, Malcolm and Nick for your help and advice.

I have been completely distracted by the arrival of our second Grandchild and have not had the time to get this cable connection sorted. I’ll let you know how I go once my feet are “back on the ground"