ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2018, 11:05 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
able to pursue my own Agena, say what I like without being edited.
Are you sure you can't be edited Glen?

Old 12-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Marriage is like a phone call in the middle of the night ... first there's the ' Ring ' ....then you ' wake up '

Current figures show about 1 in 3 marriages ending in divorce. If you were in group going sky-diving and the instructor said, "Right. Only 1/3 of these 'chutes is gonna open, and I can't tell you which one", would you take the leap?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Kinda happy still after almost 12 years. Sure, we fight (well, I sit and stew until she's finished, then give my bit back, by which time she's over it and just shakes her head and walks away - and 5 minutes later we are best friends again).

Not "fairy tale", just genuine friendship - which is needed MORE than love in a marriage. She's my best mate and confident.

Honestly nothing to dislike about my wife - opinionated (sounds familiar!), open, HARD working (not a lazy bone in her body!), forward looking, constantly developing, going places. Give and take.

Life is not a bed of roses, nor is it all doom and gloom.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:46 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 . 26 years and counting. And all my teeth (legit).
Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 PM
drylander (Peter)

on the 31st March we hit 45 years and no regrets. not easy at times but we work on it.
Pete
Old 12-03-2018, 01:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drylander View Post
on the 31st March we hit 45 years and no regrets. not easy at times but we work on it.
Pete
Well done Peter ... and you still like each other ....
Old 12-03-2018, 08:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I did like the two marriages that I have been in... and indeed the all the various relationships that probablywould have passed for a marriage at common Law.

But I cant live with someone else without dominating them, which is not what I want to do, and so I feel for me its better not to make some human suffer by being married to them...I am married to astronomy is what I will tell any newcomers ... amazing how attractive you become when they realise what you are worth dead.
alex

alex
Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post

But I cant live with someone else without dominating them

alex
I never took you for the BDSM type Alex
Old 12-03-2018, 09:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I never took you for the BDSM type Alex
No not that.
I unfortunately I have this way where I lead the group without their input...I only figured it out recently..some folk just are quiet and dont stick up for themselves and it is those that I care for...I dont want to dominate or be bossy...I dont have that view of myself so its a shock when you find out most people are scared of you..well all the ones who have had contact I mean.
I always thought of myslef as quiet and placid but that is the opposite that I find as to how others view me....

I thought I was just encouraging not over bearing and aggressive.

anyways although I am a wonderful person I think being alone is a benefit to whomever I am not with.

alex
Old 14-03-2018, 12:33 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Your post has inspired some serious reflection on my own behaviour Alex.

For too long, I've spent time amongst people who were less interested, motivated, or skilled in certain work related tasks. Only recently has some new staff shown up who have stretched the boundaries of the team. I've been very fortunate that my boss has done nothing but encourage me... leading me to get too comfortable.

Coming here has been great, as the skills and knowlege of others in this field is enormous. It reminds me how big the world is, and what a microscopic part in it I play.

Time for me to stop being a "Medium fish in a small pond", and become "1 in 7 billion".

/rant. Carry on Gentlemen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
No not that.
I unfortunately I have this way where I lead the group without their input...I only figured it out recently..some folk just are quiet and dont stick up for themselves and it is those that I care for...I dont want to dominate or be bossy...I dont have that view of myself so its a shock when you find out most people are scared of you..well all the ones who have had contact I mean.
I always thought of myslef as quiet and placid but that is the opposite that I find as to how others view me....

I thought I was just encouraging not over bearing and aggressive.

anyways although I am a wonderful person I think being alone is a benefit to whomever I am not with.

alex
Old 14-03-2018, 12:43 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxing_Gibbous View Post
Current figures show about 1 in 3 marriages ending in divorce. If you were in group going sky-diving and the instructor said, "Right. Only 1/3 of these 'chutes is gonna open, and I can't tell you which one", would you take the leap?
Well I'm gonna improve the odds by 100% for you Peter.

If one in three marriages end in divorce, then two out of three don't, right?

That means two of the chutes opened, not one. There ha go, - an instant 100% improvement on the stats as promised
Old 14-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

My wife has heard these all before so I won't be in trouble (plus she doesn't read these forums anyway). We've been married 18 years end of March (I'm 41).

- I got a black eye the other day. My wife asked me what is on the TV tonight. I replied...dust.

- The cooking is so bad at our place, all the flies chipped in a few bucks each and bought us a screen door.

- My wife asked me to put the rubbish out. I told her to do it herself as she cooked it.

- A few nights ago I was at home by myself and my wife came home after a night out. She must have forgotten her key. She was banging on the door, then the dog started barking. The more she was banging the more the dog kept barking. I opened the door and lwt the dog in first cos at least when he comes in, he shuts up.

I best stop there or I might be in a bit of strife.
Old 14-03-2018, 07:20 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesbie View Post
My wife has heard these all before so I won't be in trouble (plus she doesn't read these forums anyway). We've been married 18 years end of March (I'm 41).

- I got a black eye the other day. My wife asked me what is on the TV tonight. I replied...dust.

- The cooking is so bad at our place, all the flies chipped in a few bucks each and bought us a screen door.

- My wife asked me to put the rubbish out. I told her to do it herself as she cooked it.

- A few nights ago I was at home by myself and my wife came home after a night out. She must have forgotten her key. She was banging on the door, then the dog started barking. The more she was banging the more the dog kept barking. I opened the door and lwt the dog in first cos at least when he comes in, he shuts up.

I best stop there or I might be in a bit of strife.
Old 15-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Divorced from my ex for the last seven years ( after 32 years married) i am delightfully happy, able to pursue my own agenda, say what I like without being edited. I enjoy my own company, and am free to sit out in the observatory all night. Not all marriages are good ones, and not all wives are gems. Congratulations to those that found a gem.
Mine must be a gem. Been married for nearly 30 years and very happy.
Old 15-03-2018, 05:11 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Oh dear!
Old 15-03-2018, 07:58 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

If a man speaks in the forest, and his wife isn't there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Old 16-03-2018, 12:59 PM
drylander (Peter)

Yes
Old 16-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

If a husband is always wrong, and the wife always right, if the husband tells the wife she is always right, is he right or wrong?
Old 16-03-2018, 04:30 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

When I married Miss Right, I didn't realise that her first name was ALWAYS!

Am I dead yet?
Old 16-03-2018, 05:53 PM
blink138 (Pat)

hmmm i have been with my now wife since i was sixteen and her fifteen!
married now for 29yrs, four kids, one dog and two cats
the last of my children left the nest last year now which was fine by me but me missus was a bit hesitant at first but no probs at all now
we get on famously and we laugh because i formally ask her out on a date on the odd saturday haha!
pat