Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 03-03-2018, 09:15 PM
Aussie_Dave

Celestron 8i GPS Hand Controller

Hi all.

I'm chasing the hand controller for a Celestron Nexstar 8i SCT with the GPS unit setup options in the settings of the hand controller as I use the GPS unit for quick setup on my scope but the screens LCD text has faded or does not show at all. The red backlight is fine and the 8i still operates as it should with all keys but I can no longer read the text. This seems to be a common problem. I have also cleaned the contacts on the ribbon cable which hasn't helped.

I've uploaded a photo of the hand controller so if you have a spare one laying around that you know is fine, please PM me. Even if you have a non working controller that does not respond to key presses I would be interested in that as long as the LCD screen text does show and doesn't have this common fault, cheers.

Regards Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF4998.jpg)
147.4 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF4984.jpg)
187.6 KB45 views
Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 PM
iborg (Philip)

Have you tried searching for the part numbers on the of the screen?

I can't make them out in the photo, but, just possibly it is a standard screen that is used and might be replaceable.

Good luck

Philip
Old 03-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Aussie_Dave

No I haven't Philip. Thing is I don't know if it's a screen fault or something on the circuit board. It started to play up last year while doing solar work outside in the sun. I still do solar now and them and it progressively got worse. Would prefer to buy a good working controller instead of more expense if it turns out not to be a screen problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Have you tried searching for the part numbers on the of the screen?

I can't make them out in the photo, but, just possibly it is a standard screen that is used and might be replaceable.

Good luck

Philip
Old 04-03-2018, 10:00 AM
iborg (Philip)

That makes sense. Consider googling the part when you get one. If it is cheap enough, buy and fit it, maybe that will give you a spare controller.

Philip
Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

If I'm not mistaken the handset of the today's 8SE can be used with this mount. You will end up with a brand new handset as the old 8i is a rare fish today.

Alex.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Aussie_Dave

Correct Alex but there's no option setting for the GSP setup. The 8SE has an upgraded firmware with the GPS setting removed due to a Meade thing.

The firmware can be no higher than ver 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
If I'm not mistaken the handset of the today's 8SE can be used with this mount. You will end up with a brand new handset as the old 8i is a rare fish today.

Alex.