Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-03-2018, 12:48 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Telsstra at it's best

Last night after work this was an average speed test using Telstra , this went on for over an hour , probably 25 test's , un-believable bad service , @ the time in the photo .

This is terrible and telstra are going to be getting a pineapple over this ,,, again .

I have over 2 hours of these photos taken . . Is this carp or what NBN ? rubbish , this was 5.30pm yesterday 15/3/18 local time .

Brian .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MVIMG_20180315_173824 (4).jpg)
157.9 KB112 views
Old 17-03-2018, 01:21 AM
raymo

Are you supposedly on the NBN, or still on normal broadband, either way
horrible speed. I sometimes at peak hours get not much better than that
on NBN.
raymo
Old 17-03-2018, 08:29 AM
chromus (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Are you supposedly on the NBN, or still on normal broadband, either way
horrible speed. I sometimes at peak hours get not much better than that
on NBN.
raymo
raymo is correct, without context, those are good figures for DSL2 and "basic" NBN at line length limit.

There are plenty of no-slow NBN providers for less than Telstra charge.
Old 17-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Sounds pretty normal for congested services, I was getting pretty much the same results on a 100/40 nbn with IINet and they basically refused to admit the problem was bandwidth. I was in a contract and got out of it through the telecommunications ombudsman stepping in. Went across to Aussie Broadband and have not had any speed issues since. I get mid 90's mbps even in peak periods. The only issues I occasionally get are speed drop-offs when downloading form overseas sites, and you guessed it these areas are controlled by Telstra Global. I did tracert tests and responses were great until connecting to Telstra Global and they went to crap from there.
Note the image was taken at 8.04pm on 11 March, definitely in middle of peak period
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (11-03-2018 8-04-20 PM.jpg)
59.8 KB50 views
Old 17-03-2018, 10:13 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Last night after work this was an average speed test using Telstra , this went on for over an hour , probably 25 test's , un-believable bad service , @ the time in the photo .

This is terrible and telstra are going to be getting a pineapple over this ,,, again .

I have over 2 hours of these photos taken . . Is this carp or what NBN ? rubbish , this was 5.30pm yesterday 15/3/18 local time .

Brian .
You are lucky Brian - your upload speed is MUCH better than our off-peak download speed. During peak, our download speed will drop so significantly that we can't download anything - a page on average will take 1min 20 sec to load.

My latest test:
Ping: 30 ms
Download: 5.53Mbps
Upload: 0.35 Mbps

The speeds above are our average daily. I've seen it max out at 7Mbps download...which of course is just acceptable as an ADSL 1 (not 2, ADSL 1) speed.

And NBN is still 9 months away...if we get it.
Old 17-03-2018, 12:37 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
You are lucky Brian - your upload speed is MUCH better than our off-peak download speed.
I use an 8 year old Telstra Elite 3G mobile broadband wifi device.

The newer 4G models will be much faster : -
https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband...adband/prepaid

I never get slowdowns unless my VPN confuses the coms between the computer and the wifi in which case I need to reboot. But that is not a network problem.

Two speed tests attached, 1) Telstra 3G Elite device (Telstra) and 2) using personal hotspot on my mobile phone (Virgin).

I don't know what sort of data applications you use, I find this is fast enough for anything I do.

NBN coming to my place next month. Frankly, from what I'm hearing I don't think I'll bother.
Sounds like you both might be better off doing the same.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Telstra 3G.jpg)
110.7 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (virgin mobile.jpg)
122.0 KB25 views
Old 17-03-2018, 12:49 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
I use an 8 year old Telstra Elite 3G mobile broadband wifi device.

The newer 4G models will be much faster : -
https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband...adband/prepaid

I never get slowdowns unless my VPN confuses the coms between the computer and the wifi in which case I need to reboot. But that is not a network problem.

Two speed tests attached, 1) Telstra 3G Elite device (Telstra) and 2) using personal hotspot on my mobile phone (Virgin).

I don't know what sort of data applications you use, I find this is fast enough for anything I do.

NBN coming to my place next month. Frankly, from what I'm hearing I don't think I'll bother.
Sounds like you both might be better off doing the same.

Joe

Joe, I don't think you have a choice, as the ADSL network is being shut down. It's why they never put ADSL 2 out here - it was going to be redundant within a year if they put it in.

My mother's residence in QLD had NBN put in 2 months ago. She was told that if she did NOT sign up for NBN (which she did not want to do) then she would have no internet service.

And I am not paying my mobile company way too much for too little data to use a hotspot.

I can stream Netflix over 4 comps in the house as-is, but at times, the connection is worthless (Telstra still investigating, as it happens at very specific times daily)
Old 17-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Just tested mine to compare.

NBN Satellite.

Latency 635 ms
Download 24.1 Mbps
Upload 4.4 Mbps

From previous tests it never seems to change.
I cant complain seeing that it was free for equipment, setup and installation.
Old 19-03-2018, 06:18 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

NBN , 200 metes up a street from the node .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromus View Post
raymo is correct, without context, those are good figures for DSL2 and "basic" NBN at line length limit.

There are plenty of no-slow NBN providers for less than Telstra charge.
Old 20-03-2018, 10:52 PM
luka
Unregistered User

If the speeds are faster during daytime and drop at the peek hours (evenings) then it is congestion at your ISP. Realistically you can solve the problem only by changing to a different ISP, the chances of convincing Telstra to buy more bandwidth is slim.

Now finding a "better" ISP is a gamble again, you should look at whirlpool forums for recommendations for your particular suburb. There is not much point reading comments how ISP A works well somewhere else and also not much point reading how 4G mobile broadband works well somewhere else. Neither of those is representative of what is happening in your suburb. For example, you may have more people around you watching Netflix at dinner time and sucking up the available bandwidth (which is different elsewhere anyway). Or you may live in a 4G dead spot.

You should do your research, whirlpool forums are a great starting point. Having said that, I heard only good things about Aussie Broadband. It already got mentioned a few posts up.

Which plan are you on? Do you have a contract?
Several ISPs were recently fined by ACCC for advertising speeds and letting customers pay for speeds that were not even theoretically achievable. Furthermore, now the providers must advertise realistic speeds and also show the expected speeds during the evening congestion periods.

So, while you may or may not be able to get the compensation, you may be able to use your crappy download/upload speeds to break the contract (if you have one).

Good luck...
Old 20-03-2018, 11:07 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Which plan are you on? Do you have a contract?
Several ISPs were recently fined by ACCC for advertising speeds and letting customers pay for speeds that were not even theoretically achievable. Furthermore, now the providers must advertise realistic speeds and also show the expected speeds during the evening congestion periods.

So, while you may or may not be able to get the compensation, you may be able to use your crappy download/upload speeds to break the contract (if you have one).

Good luck...
TPG, Optus and Telstra have indeed been dragged over the coals by the ACCC for selling plans with unattainable speeds. I am with TPG and not on a contract. They have recently sent me an email stating that they could not deliver the speed I was paying for, so I could downgrade to a lower tier (the basic nbn speed) and get compensated for the 12 months that I was paying for with the higher tier. The other option was to cancel the contract if I had one. My speed issues are with the old copper and co-habitation with ASDL, where the NBN co slows the speed so as to keep both systems stable so hopefully this will all improve for me in 6 mths when ASDL is cut off.