Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2018, 10:13 PM
ruins

broken charge port on nextar evolution

hi everyone

I have a nexstar evolution telescope, and the part where you plug in the AC charger isn't broken, but it has been pushed through the hole that it 'sits' in.

if I take apart the telescope I can plug in the AC charger and it charges fine... it's just that the part you plug into is now INSIDE and unaccessable unless I take it apart.

it won't simply push back through the hole as it is too big.

Just wondering, I live in Canberra, who can I go to or what should I do about getting this fixed? My son is really itching to use it some more.

Thanks for any advice... hope what I said made sense.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:40 PM
JA

Sorry to hear of your woes Ruins.

Find someone handy in electronics/TV/hifi repair (or have a go yourself). Disassemble the unit and use Araldite or cyanoacrylate and also preferably also some mechanical fastening like a screw or cable tie (on the inside where such is not seen) to hold it in place along with the adhesive. It might also be possible or preferable (depending on the nature of the break/dislocation) to replace the socket with a through chassis socket which is secured with a nut to the chassis socket screw thread.

Good luck

Best
JA
Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Simple fix. Make a small extender cord permanently plugged into the 'lost' connector inside and have it secured externally with another plug to connect the AC Charger cord to.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:56 PM
ruins

thank you for the tips guys!

really good ideas, I feel confident I can fix it myself now. and a bit stupid I didn't think of how to...

cheers!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

If you decide to leave the socket inside and use an extension lead to the outside, then make sure that the socket does not have any exposed metal connection points etc which might make contact with the metal housing or circuit boards.
Insulate by wrapping in electrical &/or rubber tape.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:48 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Easy fix take it apart and glue it in place , considering the price of the scope is quite sad that its held in place by a small piece of plastic easily broken
Old 01-06-2018, 09:25 PM
ruins

sorry to bump, just wanted to thank you guys for the advice.

what I ended up doing was buying a small cylindrical file and making the hole a bit bigger using that, pulled the connector through and glued in to place. like new now! ish.. but it works great and my son is very happy.

my sincere thanks again!