Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 19-10-2017, 01:08 PM
glend (Glen)

The answer seems to be to build a ROR Obs that fits the dimensions to avoid approval. That is pretty much what I did. Peak of my skillion roof height is 3m and its well away from the boundary fence, as the roof track is in that direction.
That 10m2 is plenty of room, mine is less than that. My ROR Obs has survived sustained 115kmhr winds during the April 2016 East Coast Low storm that sat on us here for four days; the important design consideration is good wall and corner bracing, use steel tracks and make some track locks, and obviously good tie down anchors for the roof.
If it looks like a simple skillion roof shed then no one is going to make a fuss.
Old 19-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Imme (Jon)

I hate to say it .....but, knowing what Councils can be like they would want the deck approved via a building permit......but also probably up the engineering on it to allow for the weight of the structure and associated wind loadings it may cause.

Anything 'non standard' would need certification I think. My ob's is pretty large so probably a bit different to a garden shed variety but I heard the horror story the previous owner had trying to get it approved.....apparently even the wheels the roof rolls on needed some engineering approval/drawings done!
Old 19-10-2017, 01:17 PM
bojan
amateur

I was planning to use 8 steel square piers (100x100mm, 50cm high above ground level) to support both dome (via rubber wheels) and deck (recycled plastic).
Dome itself will have 2.5m diameter galvanized pipe (ø76mm) as a base, and I calculated it shouldn't roll over when exposed to 80km/h wind without any additional anchoring (and they will be in place). So... I hope for the best.

Last edited by bojan; 19-10-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 19-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Wilso

I hate to tell you but Jon is right, anything non standard requires engineering calculations and design specifications other wise they will make you pull it down. If you go ahead without these you run the gauntlet.
Councils take hi res photos and run through software so that anything different will get picked up.
Good luck!
Old 31-10-2017, 03:57 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Bojan,

In an effort to not have to submit engineering calculations, I also wanted to avoid needed a building permit, so asked the council first whether I would need a planning permit. Due to size of property, copious screening trees and projected cost, they said I didn't need one, but would need to engage a building surveyor to assess whether I needed a building permit.

I ended up speaking to four separate building surveyors before I got the answer I was looking for: that I didn't need a permit if certain conditions were met (those that Matt listed in I think the second reply on this thread), plus being able to call the structure a shed (which I course I could).

So - I was left to my own devices to build a circular observatory with geodesic dome. The lesson here was that the rules were being applied very differently - depending who you spoke to.

Chris
Old 31-10-2017, 04:32 PM
bojan
amateur

I was talking with council last Friday.. and yes, this is basically true.
My obs will be 3m in diameter, 3m high, 1.5 meters away from boundary, wooded frame, filled in with styrofoam and reinforced with acrylic layer.. so no need for permit.
However, the guy from Council advised me to ask for permit anyway, in case I decide to sell the property later (which most probably I won't - it will be my last residence...
The initial plan was to put it in corner on the highest point of the property, but because of limitation on height, I decided to locate it closer to the middle... still OK for access to the sky.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Another point to discuss with them. In our (Rural) situation, advice from our council was that provided it was 100M away from the property boundary to the nearest Vicroads road we would not require a planning permit for a shed however a building permit is still required. There has to be some benefit to having been rezoned from Rural Living to Farming Zone (Despite the property already being less than half of the smallest allowed subdivision in FZ and absolutely not viable as a farm, unless perhaps I convert it over to 40 acres of marijuana or some similar cash crop!)

Sooner or later I still plan to build a ROR obs and I reckon I will have to rejoin the ASV at the time (I should anyway) to hopefully be able to scout out a member who is appropriately licensed to issue building permits. That way at least I would not spend so much time trying to explain the concept of why I want the roof to roll off to someone who has no knowledge of astronomy.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:44 PM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

There's no permit required for using an 'appliance' on the property.

Appliance is loosely defined, but I succeeded in using an argument that anything which is not permanent (has no footings) and does not have amenities running to it, but which uses electricity through an extension chord running from the house can be called an appliance .