Old 29-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Stevo69
I have a To-Do List?

A good "entry-level" Canon camera

May I ask, is the Canon 350D a good "entry level" camera DSLR for astrophotography? 8 mega-pixels? geez this sounds like I should get some good results, with piggybacking, or prime focus???

My understanding is that you can have this camera "modified" - an IR part removed to make them more suitable for astrophotography.

I was thinking about buying a dedicated CCD for imaging, but I have (sensibly) been advised to look at a DSLR which can be used for piggybacking and prime focus.
Old 30-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Gama

The quick and sweet answer is YES.

In fact, it does better than most dedicated cameras.
If you can afford one on the cheap, jump on it.
Most people that have a DSLR, have probably started and used the 350.

Although it is not by all means the camera to get if you want to do some serious imaging, but it is a must if you want to start out in imaging and want to gain experience in processing.
As for modding, you can get it modded for both day and night imaging. Its costly, but well worth the extra cost.
Its like adding a supercharger to your Dastun 120Y, BRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Theo.
Old 30-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Steve, I just bought a near-new 350D off eBay (USA) for $320 plus postage. Good value. I'll never use it as my terrestrial camera, but instead will remove the standard filter and replace it with a Baader ACS filter to gain better Ha performance. The Baader filter will cost me AU$120 from Hong Kong.
Old 30-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Stevo69
I have a To-Do List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
The quick and sweet answer is YES..... ....As for modding, you can get it modded for both day and night imaging. Its costly, but well worth the extra cost. Its like adding a supercharger to your Dastun 120Y, BRRRRRRRRRRRR. Theo.
Thanks Theo, I must look into this modding shortly, if I purchase one.

Omaroo, I have been looking on eBay recently and there are a lot of new 350D's direct out of Hong Kong. I guess the risk of buying overseas whether it be new or used is the same. If I could get one for $500 or less, that would be a bonus.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Stevo69
I have a To-Do List?

I have noticed a version 350D labelled "Rebel XT" - everything about the camera looks the same. Anyone know what this is about?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

The Rebel XT is simply the name given to it in the US. It is the same camera as the 350D