ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2019, 03:33 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex your too old to be hacking out fire breaks with a mattock. We don't want you killing yourself doing that. Can't the RFS give you any info on where the fire is in relation to your place?
I wouldn't even consider an amateur backburn in those winds, could make things worse. Didn't you say before that it had burnt all around your place?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have two properties..one where the crazy lady lives who is not talking to me and the other where the van and observatory is located where my daughter and her mother live...the old property is safe as far as I know and certainly as the fire burnt right up to the house it should not be a problem as the is not fuel.
The second place is now under threat as we are directly down wind from it. It is as far as I know still on the other side of the river but fires like this jump the river as if it wasn't there...with this wind I fear that it must have jumped in which case we are right in the firing line...we have all the apps and fire maps but stuff is not getting updated and news is hard to get..face book a local bulitan board etc but I can tell as I know the land etc how they travel and as I said we are directly down wind...if it hits with the wind this string I don't think I can do a thing ...back burns are the only way to fight them in my view...you use roads so it does not pick up until it gets away from the road...anyways I have saved my old house a couple of times with a back burn.
Alex

News is that it still has not jumped..if we can make it to night fall we have a chance ..it needs to burn to the river and not jump..anyways...back to it.
And please don't worry I don't work to hard and apart from my crook legs am a rather fit fella.
Alex

See I only worked for an hour and now I am taking a break..that is not overdoing things.
But I think I am done for the day..the temp is dropping which is good the wind is easing slightly also good and got a lot of fuel off the ground.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

do you have home insurance over there in places where there can be fires
Old 09-09-2019, 07:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
do you have home insurance over there in places where there can be fires
Yes but I don't bother..I mean I have already been burnt out in 2002 so what are the chances it could happen twice?

Alex
Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Yes but I don't bother..I mean I have already been burnt out in 2002 so what are the chances it could happen twice?

Alex
About 99%
Old 09-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
About 99%
My father was an insurance rep, not door to door but sold life insurance for the CML.

He always said

"Insurance is a con.............. UNTIL YOU NEED IT"

never ever have I ever not had insurance, everything I own is insured, scopes, camera gear, it costs me £350 a year, and WOW! have I needed it.

Best thing I have ever bought over the years

Quote:
yes but i don't bother..i mean i have already been burnt out in 2002 so what are the chances it could happen twice?

Alex
what!!!!!

Quote:
About 99%
A1 ++++++++

My insurance is due next week, I would rather starve than not have it

I look at all the images of the hurricane last week, all the homeless, the US fires, that AUS. fires and immediately think "I wonder how many aren't insured"

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I have volunteer fire training on Saturday. I hope it is only training.

At least we don’t live downwind of a lot of pine trees and other species some crazy coots plant and we are at the bottom of the hill.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:37 PM
atkinsonr (Rich)

Perigian Beach now on fire.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 PM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsonr View Post
Perigian Beach now on fire.

11 houses lost, more expected.
Given how close the houses are, id expect a lot more.

QLD might as well made of tinder right now. No surprise, we have had what, 1 day of "showers" in the past 2 months, and some have had nothing.

Let's not forget the other fires either. Apparently rain forest does burn.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:07 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
About 99%
1% chance of no loss...sounds good to me.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
I have volunteer fire training on Saturday. I hope it is only training.

At least we don’t live downwind of a lot of pine trees and other species some crazy coots plant and we are at the bottom of the hill.
The previous owner here planted all sorts of exotic trees apparently as an investment and we are on top of a hill.
On the positive there are sprinklers on the roof and all around the house also inside but I can't see any use for the ones inside at all. There are two long fire hoses which we have laid out for the house but only one for the van...

The fuel on the ground is enormous so if we could save the house but have the fire cross the property that would be good.

The temperature has dropped dramatically as it is only 0 here inside the van so that is a help, the wind has dropped but I can not find out if the fire has stayed on the other side of the river.

Had a decent night's sleep and not sore from working yesterday so all is good.

Alex

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 AM
gary

RFS advise a fast-moving fire is travelling in a north, north westerly
direction from Peregian Beach and Peregian Breeze Estate in Qld on the Sunshine Coast.
It is heading towards Marcus Beach.

Peregian Beach, Peregian Breeze Estate and Marcus Beach have
been advised to evacuate immediately and that soon it will be too
dangerous to drive.

RFS advise Peregian Beach and Marcus Beach residents should evacuate in a northerly direction towards Noosa.

RFS advise residents of Peregian Breeze Estate should evacuate in a southerly direction along Sunshine Motorway towards the
Nambour Showgrounds on Coronation Avenue.

Have family who live at Perigian Springs and they report internet is down and mobile phone networks is now become patchy. RFS advise mobile
network, power and water may go down.

Family tell me 3 water bombers are operating. Perigian IGA store reported
to be destroyed.

Wind had been toward ocean but expected to turn mid-morning. Gusts
had been up to 80km/h.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:14 AM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Well my lady "friend" had to abandon the house and bailed with the fire closing in..no one turned up to help. At the end of the road they found three fire trucks with the men having a beer..they pleaded for help and were refused.

She stayed up with my daughter and her mother at the main house here last night, ...lucky I called before I decided to up to the main house just now as it would have all been my fault.

Anyways she is going back up apparently to see if anything is left.

But I am very disappointed that these firefighters would not go up and all I can hope is they decided to go after all.

And before anyone says that it would have been dangerous for them it seems that is not the case as the fire had burnt out everything except for a " island" around my place and next door so access to it and the neighbours (which apparently did burn down) was along a road that had burnt.

It will be interesting to find out what has actually happened as news is so hard to work thru in these situations not withstanding social media stories grow and change.

I just have to accept whatever out come..And no this house was not insured because it could not be insured. I will feel loss because I built it with my own two hands and so was proud of it.

Knowing this lady however she will probably rebuild it even if she is not talking to me.

Alex
Alex, you may not know what those firefighters had been doing. One of our local trucks from hanging Rock Brigade, 6 km from my home [I am also a Member of Hanging Rock Brigade ] spend all Saturday night fighting fires at Drake. So perhaps those ones were exhausted -- I don't know.

We would not drink beer though, as it is a dangerous Combo when fighting fires.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:42 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Alex, you may not know what those firefighters had been doing. One of our local trucks from hanging Rock Brigade, 6 km from my home [I am also a Member of Hanging Rock Brigade ] spend all Saturday night fighting fires at Drake. So perhaps those ones were exhausted -- I don't know.

We would not drink beer though, as it is a dangerous Combo when fighting fires.
Their complain was they were "going from 7-30"...it was 2-30 in the afternoon if the witness reports are correct.

In any event the evidence is heresay..I did not witness any of it...And if the story was made up that is just plain terrible.. but I am reasonably confident that they may or may not have been having a beer...they were at the shed which has a good stock pile of booze and as most folk will do when they feel they have done a good days work..have a beer.

But what ever they were doing or whatever they said means nothing as there is an extremely high presumption that they did come up and save the house as the fire would not just stop feet away from the house or the car...
Alex
Old 10-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks for that message. I too have a brother at Marcus Beach. A lot of dry heath along the coast between he at the Southern edge of Marcus and Peregian.

Scary stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
RFS advise a fast-moving fire is travelling in a north, north westerly
direction from Peregian Beach and Peregian Breeze Estate in Qld on the Sunshine Coast.
It is heading towards Marcus Beach.

Peregian Beach, Peregian Breeze Estate and Marcus Beach have
been advised to evacuate immediately and that soon it will be too
dangerous to drive.

RFS advise Peregian Beach and Marcus Beach residents should evacuate in a northerly direction towards Noosa.

RFS advise residents of Peregian Breeze Estate should evacuate in a southerly direction along Sunshine Motorway towards the
Nambour Showgrounds on Coronation Avenue.

Have family who live at Perigian Springs and they report internet is down and mobile phone networks is now become patchy. RFS advise mobile
network, power and water may go down.

Family tell me 3 water bombers are operating. Perigian IGA store reported
to be destroyed.

Wind had been toward ocean but expected to turn mid-morning. Gusts
had been up to 80km/h.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:45 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Peregian fires now suspected to be arson (teenagers)

That entire area has always been a problem waiting to happen, like any heath-land/paperbark / scrub area. I've seen the fires through there many years ago.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:57 PM
gary

Quote:
Thanks for that message. I too have a brother at Marcus Beach. A lot of dry heath along the coast between he at the Southern edge of Marcus and Peregian.

Scary stuff.
Hi Ray,

They've even had a 737 dropping 15,000L of water and fire retardant
at a time at Perigian Beach today.

I have family members who live in two houses at Perigian Springs and
they evacuated themselves this afternoon when the wind changed
direction and brought the fire toward them within a km.

Hope your brother has some luck.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I suppose it would be too expensive, and certainly would need to be tested...but dry ice...what do you think???
Alex

The fire is at my nephews which is at the front of my brother in laws...

And Tony Abbott is there fighting the fire.
Yes the ex PM.
My brother in law is in hospital as he has crook lungs and the smoke has taken him down.
The wind was not too bad and we cleared heaps of fuel but still work to be done...And for a short time the wind seemed to come from the North but it was a lot less scary today if the wind does not pick up bring it on...I don't mind a Bush fire if there is no wind you get behind it where it's burnt out and fight it from there as usually you don't get much smoke.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks Gary. I hope the fire missed your family.

The 737 footage looked pretty dramatic.

One came low over our house in the fire season a few years ago and it seemed liked it was going to crash in the town.

My brother stayed with his son on his farm nursery over night but back today and no damage. Yet. Around the lake still burning I think.

I can not imagine what it is like further West where there is no place to get away from the fire and your living goes up in smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hi Ray,

They've even had a 737 dropping 15,000L of water and fire retardant
at a time at Perigian Beach today.

I have family members who live in two houses at Perigian Springs and
they evacuated themselves this afternoon when the wind changed
direction and brought the fire toward them within a km.

Hope your brother has some luck.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 AM
gary

Quote:
Thanks Gary. I hope the fire missed your family.

The 737 footage looked pretty dramatic.

One came low over our house in the fire season a few years ago and it seemed liked it was going to crash in the town.

My brother stayed with his son on his farm nursery over night but back today and no damage. Yet. Around the lake still burning I think.

I can not imagine what it is like further West where there is no place to get away from the fire and your living goes up in smoke.
Hi Ray,

Good to hear your brother and house unscathed.

Family informed me that they returned to their homes earlier this evening
on watch and wait alert. They reported that the 737 did a drop and then
helicopters water bombed until there was insufficient light.

You wouldn't want to be wearing your best white shirt when they drop that
pink retardant.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great to hear the good news.
I could not believe it this morning...a thin layer of ice on the car.
Wind has dropped hopefully it stays that way.
Alex