Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 21-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Blake (B)

Importing Laser Collimators

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, has anyone had any trouble with customs importing laser collimators ≈5mW, such as the Farpoint and Howie Glatter type?

I imagine if Bintel stock the Farpoint type and once stocked the Howie Glatter type then it will be okay, but I thought I'd better check others experiences

(Sorry if I've missed an answer to this searching the archives )
Old 21-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I don't know all the regs for NSW, but I found there was a difference in Victoria between "Hand held lasers" and "laser instruments".

The hand held needs an annual Police Permit and Licence whereas there was no restriction placed on the laser collimator I used (built into a spectrograph).
Old 21-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Kunama

I bought one direct from Howie before he passed away, no issues with Customs. Glatter Laser Collimators are now being made by Starlight Instruments.
Old 21-04-2018, 04:52 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I bought a Glatter from Starlight recently. No issues importing to Aus.
Old 23-04-2018, 07:06 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, has anyone had any trouble with customs importing laser collimators ≈5mW, such as the Farpoint and Howie Glatter type?

I imagine if Bintel stock the Farpoint type and once stocked the Howie Glatter type then it will be okay, but I thought I'd better check others experiences

(Sorry if I've missed an answer to this searching the archives )
You should check on the laws, which I have linked here

Laser Pointers

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Bring...erPointers.png

More info

Hand held laser pointers that have a strength greater than 1mW (milliwatt) are not allowed into Australia without the required permission. This includes laser pointers, laser pens and laser torches.
Permission to import

To import laser pointers with a strength of greater than 1mW, you need prior written permission from the Minister for Home Affairs using a B710 Form — Application for Permission to Import Schedule 13 Weapons.
You do not require permission to import small laser pointers such as key chains that use watch batteries and have a strength of less than or equal to 1mW, laser firearm sights (for use with low calibre firearms), bore sighters, medical lasers (excluding those the same in appearance as a laser pointer or pen), surveying and construction lasers, laser guns (other than those captured as firearms or imitation firearms) and laser range finders into Australia.
You should check with your state or territory police about local restrictions before importing these items.
Penalties

Penalties could apply if the required permission is not obtained before the goods arrive in Australia. This could include loss of your goods, on the spot fine, prosecution and large financial penalties.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

For NSW this link is the one to bookmark. Relevant for astronomy use is the 5th paragraph:

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/service...rmits?a=136099

So, if you join ASH it'll be legal for you to own and use any laser pointer regardless of power. Dealing with customs is a whole different ballgame, however.
Old 25-04-2018, 01:34 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Here in RSA you can get them from the china shops cheap around 10 AUD for a Green 100Miliwat they work well but as no law here , still , have to use carefully
Old 25-04-2018, 06:42 AM
astro744

I was wondering the same myself as was the OP but this conversation has moved on to laser pointers rather than laser collimators. I recently bought a used 10" Skywatcher for the kids and my 2" Astrosystems laser collimator doesn't fully insert because of a silly stop inside the Skywatcher focuser and this prevents the target from being seen.

I'm looking at the Farpoint 2"/1.25" version plus Barlow attachment but I'll be buying from Bintel when ready as the price is very reasonable and it avoids any importing issues. I got the Astrosystems from a different dealer many years ago so never imported directly. I would think it being such a low wattage device there would be no issues or permits required beforehand.
Old 25-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Kunama

Laser collimators are not treated the same as handheld laser pointers according to a friend in Customs. I have imported Glatter as well as other brands without any issues.