Old 28-01-2018, 10:04 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Which EPs to get rid of?

I have a 10” f/4.7 SW newt that I rarely use for visual or imaging, but am reluctant to get rid of. Over time I have bought the following eyepieces, but am thinking that they get so little use, it would be best to thin out the herd and am looking for other opinions on which ones to sell:

ES 9mm 100deg
ES 14mm 100deg
ES 20mm 100deg
ES 30mm 82deg - I quite like the field and comfort of this one, and probably would be one to keep
TMB 6mm
GSO(?) 42mm Superview 68deg(?) - not sure I’d get much for this?

I just feel like for the little use, I don’t need that many options. And since I got the 30/82 I think I prefer that AFOV and eye relief. Perhaps should sell all 3 100deg and get one more shorter FL ES 82deg?
Old 29-01-2018, 07:53 AM
N1 (Mirko)

I'd keep the 9mm, 30mm and possibly the 6mm. The 9mm is right at the 2mm exit pupil sweet spot. The TMB (unless it's a SuperMono) probably won't fetch much, so you might as well keep it for a little extra power when conditions permit - it still won't be very high power. Re the 42mm you might be told, or read, that it gives too big an exit pupil in your fast newt and the view will somehow be inferior.
While that is bollocks, you might still find it to be of little use simply because you have the 82°30, which will give a similar TFOV at higher power and similar brightness.
Old 29-01-2018, 09:18 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Thanks mate. Along the lines of what I was thinking. The 14 and 20 were the ones I was thinking are redundant considering the limited usage. I am hesitating over the 14, because I've read several others find this eyepiece one of their favs - but acknowledge that everyone's version of favourite/best is largely personal taste.
Old 29-01-2018, 10:23 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I would have thought the asahi range...
Old 29-01-2018, 10:36 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I have a 10” f/4.7 SW newt that I rarely use for visual or imaging, but am reluctant to get rid of. Over time I have bought the following eyepieces, but am thinking that they get so little use, it would be best to thin out the herd and am looking for other opinions on which ones to sell:

ES 9mm 100deg
ES 14mm 100deg
ES 20mm 100deg
ES 30mm 82deg - I quite like the field and comfort of this one, and probably would be one to keep
TMB 6mm

I just feel like for the little use, I don’t need that many options. And since I got the 30/82 I think I prefer that AFOV and eye relief. Perhaps should sell all 3 100deg and get one more shorter FL ES 82deg?
What an interesting situation.

I have that exact setup regarding the ES eyepieces. I posted it in the Eyepiece case thread the other week.

I use mine primarily in my 12". They give a good spread of magnification and exit pupils at F/5. Now I use my eyepieces and thoroughly enjoy them. But, if your not doing anything with them. Sell all of them and buy something that you want to use.

I would personally ditch the 6mm and 42mm. No reason though. Just like the ES . On the flip side if you sold off the 100 degree eyepieces alone you could probably afford the entire 82 degree ES set with the sales.

Because you mentioned it. Just be warned. The smaller ES 82 line has pretty short eye relief. Perhaps consider a couple Delos eyepieces in its place of the ES eyepieces you plan to sell. I have the 5mm, 10mm Pentax XW and 8mm, 14mm Delos for those times I want a more comfortable long eye relief night. They are also well corrected for F/5 and I don't need to use the coma corrector like I do with the ES eyepieces.

Or if you don't have one consider a Baader Hyperion zoom. Sell the 6mm, 9mm, 20mm, and 42mm. Leaves you with an outstanding mid mag 14mm and a nice lower powered wide field ES30.
Use the zoom eyepiece for lower powered and planetary/luna. You should have spare change for nice filters or something.
Old 29-01-2018, 03:22 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:

ES 9mm 100deg
ES 14mm 100deg
ES 20mm 100deg
TMB 6mm

Troy..I myself never liked or felt the need for 100 deg.... 50° to 72 ° always been easy even in a dob ..Esp like the Deloi Pans ,or Pentax XW...or clones thereof.

Quite often I just use Deloi.Pans , KK Orthos , and a very, very good Orion Zoom ; worth every penny of $ 299 and a surprise ..like looking into a dark well ..that Contrast , and a few of the TS DUAL EDs below 15mm...Sell the 100s ...someone will want those 100s for sure there v good EPs , though heavy.

If You dont have tracking , get 82s but, the ES 68s are bettter optically IMHO.

Sometimes all I use are a 24mm Pan and the ORION Zoom and 2.5 Apo Barlow....Deloi , Orthos all stay in the case.

PS:If your just not using it as its too heavy etc over time the coatings will go and it will become less saleable ..better to sell now get a smaller one you can use.

bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 29-01-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 29-01-2018, 04:48 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post

I have that exact setup regarding the ES eyepieces. I posted it in the Eyepiece case thread the other week.

I use mine primarily in my 12". They give a good spread of magnification and exit pupils at F/5. Now I use my eyepieces and thoroughly enjoy them. But, if your not doing anything with them. Sell all of them and buy something that you want to use.

I would personally ditch the 6mm and 42mm. No reason though. Just like the ES . On the flip side if you sold off the 100 degree eyepieces alone you could probably afford the entire 82 degree ES set with the sales.

Because you mentioned it. Just be warned. The smaller ES 82 line has pretty short eye relief. Perhaps consider a couple Delos eyepieces in its place of the ES eyepieces you plan to sell. I have the 5mm, 10mm Pentax XW and 8mm, 14mm Delos for those times I want a more comfortable long eye relief night. They are also well corrected for F/5 and I don't need to use the coma corrector like I do with the ES eyepieces.

Or if you don't have one consider a Baader Hyperion zoom. Sell the 6mm, 9mm, 20mm, and 42mm. Leaves you with an outstanding mid mag 14mm and a nice lower powered wide field ES30.
Use the zoom eyepiece for lower powered and planetary/luna. You should have spare change for nice filters or something.
I agree with the last paragraph above. I have a Baader Zoom and an ES 30mm 82° and they would account for 95% of my viewing eyepieces. I have a 42mm GSO which sometimes gets a run on Eta Carina, but very rarely.
Old 29-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

If you like your ES82 30mm, sell the 100/20mm...FOV isn't a huge difference.
Old 29-01-2018, 08:15 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I would have thought the asahi range...
Sell the 20 and get a carton? I'm hearing ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post

Thanks for the considered and detailed thoughts mate. Appreciate it. I've had a Baader zoom years ago and wasn't that impressed.

I don't think I'd be swapping the 100s for a set of 82s. Trying to downsize, so I'd probably just keep a small selection of what I have, rather than acquiring more. eg keep the 30 and 9 and get rid of 14 and 20, keep the 6, maybe sell the 42 even though not worth anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Troy..I myself never liked or felt the need for 100 deg.... 50° to 72 ° always been easy even in a dob ..Esp like the Deloi Pans ,or Pentax XW...or clones thereof.

Quite often I just use Deloi.Pans , KK Orthos , and a very, very good Orion Zoom ; worth every penny of $ 299 and a surprise ..like looking into a dark well ..that Contrast , and a few of the TS DUAL EDs below 15mm...Sell the 100s ...someone will want those 100s for sure there v good EPs , though heavy.

If You dont have tracking , get 82s but, the ES 68s are bettter optically IMHO.

Sometimes all I use are a 24mm Pan and the ORION Zoom and 2.5 Apo Barlow....Deloi , Orthos all stay in the case.

PS:If your just not using it as its too heavy etc over time the coatings will go and it will become less saleable ..better to sell now get a smaller one you can use.

bigjoe
Thanks for your thoughts, although not sure what to do with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
I agree with the last paragraph above. I have a Baader Zoom and an ES 30mm 82° and they would account for 95% of my viewing eyepieces. I have a 42mm GSO which sometimes gets a run on Eta Carina, but very rarely.
Thanks mate. Per above, I'm not too fussed on the zoom based on previous experience, and would probably rather just keep a few of current lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
If you like your ES82 30mm, sell the 100/20mm...FOV isn't a huge difference.
Thanks mate. Yeah, the 20 is looking like the first to definitely go. Probably closely followed by the 14.
Old 29-01-2018, 08:26 PM
tmz (Tim)

How much would you be chasing for the gso? Cheers
Old 29-01-2018, 08:31 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
How much would you be chasing for the gso? Cheers
Not sure mate. I'll PM you.
Old 29-01-2018, 08:44 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

What's an EP? One of those vinyl things?
Old 29-01-2018, 08:53 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
You wouldn’t be able to use one coz none of the scopes you use are ever in the same postcode as you
Old 29-01-2018, 09:06 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
You wouldn’t be able to use one coz none of the scopes you use are ever in the same postcode as you
I might be long-sighted
Old 30-01-2018, 08:20 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
That's to replace the cork on the bottle of red once it's opened.
Old 30-01-2018, 09:11 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's to replace the cork on the bottle of red once it's opened.