Old 17-11-2008, 10:08 PM
maddownunder

What's the best setup.

I just got myself a new 12" Dobson. Now, not that my primary interest is going to be astro photography. But....... It still would be nice to take the odd photo. So I'm wondering if I can do it reasonably successfully with my digital camera? I've got a 4 megapixel Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom. What would be the best settings to get some photos. What should I set the shutter speed at etc, etc.
Old 18-11-2008, 04:09 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi there
The best method is really just to point the camera in the eyepiece and shoot away.
You can get an adapter to hold the camera steady - see this thread for some more discussion about that: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=37729

and the article referred to:
Astrophotography with a dob

As for the settings, there's no hard and fast rule - but the beauty of digital is that you can keep experimenting until you get it right.

Just pay attention to the histogram (if you camera has that feature) to make sure you're not overexposing any areas.

Start on the moon! It will be difficult for you to photograph anything else with that setup.

Keep asking questions.