Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 20-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Nothing that I noticed with the Esprit, all the reflections that I saw were on adapters and stuff. I did notice some reflections around the edge of the lens on the flattener, but I'm just hoping that wasn't what was causing my issues... one forecast suggests a few clear hours early this evening so hopefully I can confirm my issues are resolved tonight.
Sweeeet! Hope it's the adapter
Old 24-02-2017, 05:10 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Sweeeet! Hope it's the adapter
Looks like that was the case; finally got out last night and got some imaging done -- no reflections!

Down side is my focuser issues persist afterall. Getting very nice v-curves in SGP, but the focus is way off. Last night I checked my first sub in PI before walking off and found the FWHM was over 3" even though guiding was going good and the seeing seemed pretty good. I then manually focused and got it down to 1.8"
Old 24-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I am going to try SGP again tonight, never been hugely impressed by its focus accuracy but I'm more than willing to give it another shot. FocusMax V4 and Maxim do a very nice job quick sharp.
Old 24-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Looks like that was the case; finally got out last night and got some imaging done -- no reflections!

Down side is my focuser issues persist afterall. Getting very nice v-curves in SGP, but the focus is way off. Last night I checked my first sub in PI before walking off and found the FWHM was over 3" even though guiding was going good and the seeing seemed pretty good. I then manually focused and got it down to 1.8"
That's odd. I find that SGP invariably does a better job than I can - mind you, 1.8" is a pretty rare beast down this way.

does the reported HFR from the final focusing run in SGP look reasonable? - SGP will give you a warning if it does not get back to the best focus point and if the v curve is OK, cannot think of anything else that would upset the final result. If it cannot get back to the best focus point, I think that would mean that the backlash setting needs tweaking.
Old 25-02-2017, 07:55 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
That's odd. I find that SGP invariably does a better job than I can - mind you, 1.8" is a pretty rare beast down this way.

does the reported HFR from the final focusing run in SGP look reasonable? - SGP will give you a warning if it does not get back to the best focus point and if the v curve is OK, cannot think of anything else that would upset the final result. If it cannot get back to the best focus point, I think that would mean that the backlash setting needs tweaking.
Yeah, once I get the backlash dialed in (of which I have a lot), it's usually fine as long as it doesn't confuse nebula with stars, but there was no nebulae in this image. It didn't give me a warning, the v-curves were very nice, but the focus was just quite off...

Same as you, it usually does a better job than I can do myself. Quite strange.
Old 25-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I've resorted to the tried-and-tested manual Bahtinov dance in the dark. At least I'm happy with the focus then.
Old 26-02-2017, 12:27 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I think I can get it better manually with the morotized focuser than I used to with a bhatinov mask, but I could be wrong. Been a long time since I used a mask.

Last night it seemed to be behaving itself. Got a nice v-curve and verified focus with PI. And then I got clouded out 10mins later...
Old 26-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah decent seeing can make all the difference