Old 06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Rob_K

Observation Report, Wed 5 December 07

Time: 9pm-12pm, Wed 5 Dec 2007 (UT+11)
Telescope: Tasco 4.5" f8 reflector on Alt-Az mount
EP: 21mm Celestron X-Cel
Transparency: Good – excellent; intermittent cloud drifting through
Seeing: Poor - fair

M31 Andromeda Galaxy in Andromeda: Just had a quick look at this one in binoculars – near skyglow when observed, and not as impressive as usual. Just naked-eye. Was checking altitude in advance of anticipated appearance of Comet 17P/Holmes.

Comet 17P/Holmes: Quite a disappointment after my only other view a few weeks ago, when it was bright, naked-eye, crisp and clear. This time it was a little higher to horizon (5 degrees compared to less than 3), but bathed in the skyglow from a nearby town. Could not see it naked eye, and in 12x50 binoculars it was a large, faint, fuzzy, shapeless glow, not unlike a small cloud. In 4.5" reflector, it virtually nothing showed, only a faint brightening of the background, which I presume was the brighter tear-drop ‘core’ of the comet. I did image it by stacking a lot of subs taken with 400D on tripod – this confirmed that it was actually Holmes that I was looking at!

Grus Quartet in Grus: All four galaxies clearly visible as faint smudges, averted vision not needed. All nicely fitted in FOV. NGC 7552 (IC 5294) was the most difficult of the four to see, showing as a faint shapeless glow. The three close galaxies of the quartet, NGC 7582 mag 11.3, NGC 7599 mag 12.0 and NGC 7590 mag 12.55, were all quite clear as faint edge-on spirals. 7590 was the smallest of the group.

IC 5313 in Grus: While I was in the vicinity, decided to check a couple of close galaxies. This one at mag 13.0 was very difficult. Just visible in averted vision as the faintest grey smudge; popped in and out of vision.

NGC 7531 in Grus: At mag 12.1, this was quite clear but faint as an edge-on spiral. Averted vision not needed.

NGC 55 in Sculptor: Large, bright mag 8.4 edge-on spiral, showing asymmetry in extension, easily visible in telescope and binoculars. Extended for almost half the field of view (FOV about 1 degree with 21mm EP). Magnificent and unusual.

NGC 253 in Sculptor: Large, bright mag 8.0 edge-on spiral extending for almost half the field of view, similar to NGC 55. Easily visible in telescope and binoculars. Always impressive – intent staring threatened to reveal some structural detail…..but???

NGC 300 in Sculptor: Mag 8.8 face-on spiral. Faint smudge, about identical to view in 12" dob at Snake Valley in Nov, but nothing like the view in 4.5" at SCP camp at Silverton in Oct, when extensions (spiral arms) were visible.

NGC 247 in Cetus: This was faint at mag 9.70 but clearly visible - length about half that of NGC 253 and it extended for almost ¼ the field of view. Not quite as bright as view in 12" dob at Snake Valley in November.

NGC 7793 in Sculptor: Mag 9.7 galaxy. Showed as a small, moderately-bright elliptical smudge, no central brightening. With staring, faint extensions appeared to flicker in and out. A stunning pair of bright, close blue stars are about ½ degree away.

NGC 1269 in Eridanus: Small mag 9.4 face-on spiral. Very easy target, bright core with faint grey extension. Spent time staring, and at times thought I could make out spiral arms, but probably imagination!

Galaxies in Fornax: By the time I got onto these, it was about midnight, and the main concentration of galaxies was right at the zenith. I moved the scope around and around, but the OTA kept hitting the legs. Called it quits, so I’ll have a go at these another time!

Mars: I did have a quick look at Mars before I left, but it was shimmering orange ball.

Cheers -
Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Good report - some nice targets there. Are you actually on the airstrip - does it shut down at night? I've ridden through Porepunkah a few times on bikes, but can't place the airfield.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Rob_K

Thanks Doug! The Porepunkah strip is only licensed for daytime, so we observe from the actual strip. It is a few kms south of Porepunkah on the Buckland Valley Road (turn off at big roundabout).

Cheers