Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 08-10-2019, 01:40 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Rings...............

2 X Rings ( 1 Set ) 162mm ( inside dia' ) to suit Intes MN56 .... or something that is very close to that.

The set I have on the MN56 is ' cast ' as a 1 piece unit ( can't separate them ) ..... I want 2 individual rings.

Closest I can find is 6.5 and 6.3 inches.....

Col...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2019-10-08 Stellar Optical Corp's MN56.jpg)
83.1 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2019-10-08 162mm in inches at DuckDuckGo.png)
6.5 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2019-10-08 Parallax - 6 5 OD Tube Rings (Astro-Physics 155 EDF Refractor).jpg)
95.9 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2019-10-08 Agena Telescope Tube Rings (Set of 2) - 6 3 .jpg)
51.2 KB31 views

Last edited by FlashDrive; 09-11-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Buy 6.5 and add one extra layer of felt. Easy peasy lemon squeezy
Old 08-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Wavytone

Buy 6.5 and add packing. Beware though that Parallax rings are also cast, very thick, very ugly and quite heavy - try to find some that are milled out of plate instead.

A good alternative to felt is balsawood - head to Bunnings. At a guess you'll probably need a sheet of 1.5mm balsa, but many other thicknesses are available, and its easily laminated (eg 2 x 1.0 mm to make 2.0mm). Cut into strips perpendicular to the grain (so they bend easily) and glue these in place with some glue. Use rubber bands to hold them in place for a day or so while the glue bonds properly. Its also easily sanded or sliced with a craft knife so if the rings are a tad tight, remove some of the balsa.

I have used this before in rings, and it is firm so it won't crush, yet soft it won't scratch the paint, and like felt you can easily slide the OTA to adjust balance.

If the rings have felt, leave it in place and again head to Bunnings, you'll need a large store not the small suburban ones. Look for a pack of velcro electrical cable ties - these are typically a flatpack of 6 multicoloured narrow strips maybe 150 long. The point is these are quite narrow, about 1-2mm thick, have one side that will grip felt, and the other side is the usual soft velcro. Black velcro double-sided tape would also do, but it's wide so you'll probably want to cut it to size - which is not easy.

I also have some 1.5mm cork strips left over from a model railway but cork tends to be quite "grippy".

Last edited by Wavytone; 09-10-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Buy 6.5 and add one extra layer of felt. Easy peasy lemon squeezy
hmmmm, that's a reasonable course of action ...may just go that way...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Buy 6.5 and add packing. Beware though that Parallax rings are also cast, very thick, very ugly and quite heavy - try to find some that are milled out of plate instead.

A good alternative to felt is balsawood - head to Bunnings. At a guess you'll probably need a sheet of 1.5mm balsa, but many other thicknesses are available, and its easily laminated (eg 2 x 1.0 mm to make 2.0mm). Cut into strips perpendicular to the grain (so they bend easily) and glue these in place with some glue. Use rubber bands to hold them in place for a day or so while the glue bonds properly. Its also easily sanded or sliced with a craft knife so if the rings are a tad tight, remove some of the balsa.

I have used this before in rings, and it is firm so it won't crush, yet soft it won't scratch the paint, and like felt you can easily slide the OTA to adjust balance.

If the rings have felt, leave it in place and again head to Bunnings, you'll need a large store not the small suburban ones. Look for a pack of velcro electrical cable ties - these are typically a flatpack of 6 multicoloured narrow strips maybe 150 long. The point is these are quite narrow, about 1-2mm thick, have one side that will grip felt, and the other side is the usual soft velcro. Black velcro double-sided tape would also do, but it's wide so you'll probably want to cut it to size - which is not easy.

I also have some 1.5mm cork strips left over from a model railway but cork tends to be quite "grippy".
I do like the ' wood ' style of ring setup .... seen a few on CN...Classy Looks. Thanks for the idea on this solution ...will consider this also.

Col...
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Be careful with wood - you get dew, they leach tannins and stain the tube. I wouldn’t. I’ve seen cork stick to objects and ruin paint. Felt can too.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:15 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Be careful with wood - you get dew, they leach tannins and stain the tube. I wouldn’t. I’ve seen cork stick to objects and ruin paint. Felt can too.

OK Mate ...
Old 09-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Wilso

Try Peter Tan he has a large selection on his web site!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Try Peter Tan he has a large selection on his web site!
Thanks Wilso
Old 09-10-2019, 09:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I just noticed the 6.3's you are looking at are Parallax...ick...errrr, his felt is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO thick, adding anything I think could introduce instability honestly.

You could ask him to mill them to size, and to use thinner felt than he usually uses.

Or Peter Tan.

What's wrong with the Intes cradle anyway? If you need to mount something else, there are other ways than using seperate rings etc. Think outside the box
Old 10-10-2019, 11:46 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:

What's wrong with the Intes cradle anyway? If you need to mount something else, there are other ways than using seperate rings etc. Think outside the box

There are no ' threaded ' holes in the top of the rings ... and further more the ring ' assembly ' is fixed at around 5" inches apart.....I want separate rings so I can spread them further apart and fit a dove tail on top to mount a ' Telrad ' ....I don't want to ' stick ' the TR to the Scope using the ' double sided tape ' which is supplied.

I was not going to buy Parallax Rings .... yes, they are too thick and chunky...the pic was posted as an indication of what I could only find.

Col... anyway ....Bump.

Last edited by FlashDrive; 14-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 13-10-2019, 10:46 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

I have a pair of 6.5" Parallax rings if you are still interested Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Rings.jpg)
202.4 KB18 views
Old 09-11-2019, 06:40 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

The rings on the celestron power seeker 127 are 162 mm. I have one ring only and just measured it.
Regards philip