Old 26-07-2015, 05:47 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

guiding thoughts.

having had some recent dramas with guiding I've been putting a heap of thought into guiding and my options.

Currently I use sbig self guiding and it seems to work very well during exposures up to 30 minutes duration however it would lose its mind during image download. On the odd occasion it does overcorrect..

I have considered the following 3 options and would like to hear thoughts.

1. Sbig AO-7 / AO-8 (however I do fear that I will get the same good performance during exposures and then having it go crazy during image downloads.

2. Qhy5 or the like via an OAG or external guide scope.

3. This is a bit of a long shot shot.. But how about guiding the mount via a Qhy5 and external guidescope while using ao7/ao8 @ 7~8hz to chase seeing

My sbig doesn't have a remote guide port.. I need to spend more time at the scope hopefully this week to determine the cause of this problem however I honestly feel there is some interference somewhere causing the camera to feed the mount a 5 second long guide correction during image download.

Any thoughts.
Old 26-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
having had some recent dramas with guiding I've been putting a heap of thought into guiding and my options.

Currently I use sbig self guiding and it seems to work very well during exposures up to 30 minutes duration however it would lose its mind during image download. On the odd occasion it does overcorrect..

I have considered the following 3 options and would like to hear thoughts.

1. Sbig AO-7 / AO-8 (however I do fear that I will get the same good performance during exposures and then having it go crazy during image downloads.

2. Qhy5 or the like via an OAG or external guide scope.

3. This is a bit of a long shot shot.. But how about guiding the mount via a Qhy5 and external guidescope while using ao7/ao8 @ 7~8hz to chase seeing

My sbig doesn't have a remote guide port.. I need to spend more time at the scope hopefully this week to determine the cause of this problem however I honestly feel there is some interference somewhere causing the camera to feed the mount a 5 second long guide correction during image download.

Any thoughts.
What software are you using? because it seems to me you are inventing expensive ways to fix a trivial problem. Most packages have either "exposure delay" or "wait for guider to settle" parameters, which will stop the camera exposing before the guide is back on tasl
Old 26-07-2015, 07:40 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I'm using ccdsoft 5.

The drama is that I can guide for 30 minutes without dramas but the first time it downloads an image it pushes the guide star completely out of frame in a random direction so no matter how long I make the pre exposure delay the guide star is gone.
Old 27-07-2015, 04:55 AM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
I'm using ccdsoft 5.

The drama is that I can guide for 30 minutes without dramas but the first time it downloads an image it pushes the guide star completely out of frame in a random direction so no matter how long I make the pre exposure delay the guide star is gone.
The other thing I would be doing before looking into these fixes is isolating the USB, dont run the camera through a HUB if you are. I have never used CCD soft, but the other software option is "pause guiding during image download" if you can.
Old 27-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Paul Haese

Time to upgrade to a current software package Alex. PHD2 or Maxim have the functions Peter is talking about and that will solve your guiding issues.