Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 20-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Stefan Buda

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
So first lens goes in, then spacer, second lens and last ring to secure? Is that how it works? Does the orientation or order of the lenses matter?
Yes, that's how it goes. Not only orientation and order matter but also spacing and centration. The key is the spacer, and it must be made to very accurate dimensions, both of it's diameters and the thickness. The lenses are a bit smaller in diameter than the housing but the spacer is not.

Logan,

I'm very happy for you. When you become rich and famous, you can buy me a beer. Providing you reach adulthood by then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CorrectorAssembly3.JPG)
63.8 KB94 views
Old 20-11-2018, 07:29 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Thanks for the explanation and cross section, Stefan.
Do you provide these little gaps so the aluminium casing doesn't press on the glass with temperature changes?
Old 20-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Stefan Buda

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation and cross section, Stefan.
Do you provide these little gaps so the aluminium casing doesn't press on the glass with temperature changes?
That is one reason. Another is to give the lenses the freedom to self centre themselves. For that to work, with such small gaps, the lenses must have very small wedge errors.
Old 21-11-2018, 12:43 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

really enjoying reading these updates and looking at your fine work, Stefan.
Old 21-11-2018, 06:50 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Buda View Post
That is one reason. Another is to give the lenses the freedom to self centre themselves. For that to work, with such small gaps, the lenses must have very small wedge errors.
Just one more question(s) Stefan, then I'll leave you alone
Is the rotational aspect important when stacking small lenses like it is for bigger surfaces like mirrors in a folded light path and what is achieved by rotating optical components on their axis? I read it can add up or cancel errors. Is that all it is and does it make a big difference in your opinion or it doesn't really matter? Is that something you test when you do the final assembly with your mirrors?
Old 22-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Stefan Buda

Quote:
Just one more question(s) Stefan, then I'll leave you alone
Is the rotational aspect important when stacking small lenses like it is for bigger surfaces like mirrors in a folded light path and what is achieved by rotating optical components on their axis? I read it can add up or cancel errors. Is that all it is and does it make a big difference in your opinion or it doesn't really matter? Is that something you test when you do the final assembly with your mirrors?
In an optical train every element has a tilt error (and other errors too), simply because nothing can be made absolutely perfect, and tilt errors cause astigmatism, therefore by rotating various elements relative to each other, it is possible, sometimes, to minimise astigmatism. But that only works if the effects of individual errors have similar values. For example, tilt errors in a field corrector may be able to compensate to some extent the residual astigmatism of a primary or secondary mirror in a cassegrain system.

To answer your question: It all depends on how accurate the optical components have been manufactured and mounted. It is possible to keep the errors small enough so that rotating elements won't make any difference. That is what I aim for. After I assembled my field corrector, I screwed it into a jig on the lathe and looked at the reflections of a laser beam while it was spinning. The reflected spots, projected onto a surface some distance away, showed little wobble, so I'm confident that it will be ok.
Old 28-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Stefan Buda

Don't know how I managed to do ATM without 3D printing in the past.
The primary baffle is done and it would have been a pain of a job without 3D printing/carbon filled filament. The whole thing, including the aluminium ring, weighs only 75g.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PrimaryBaffle1.JPG)
154.9 KB98 views
Click for full-size image (PrimaryBaffle2.JPG)
117.2 KB99 views
Click for full-size image (PrimaryBaffle3.JPG)
114.3 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (PrimaryBaffle4.jpg)
187.2 KB88 views
Old 28-11-2018, 10:17 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Beautiful job, as always - you'd swear looking at it that it was just a sandblast anodise.
Old 29-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Stefan Buda

Thanks Lewis, I like the stuff but it is a bit slow to print - those two cylinders took about 7hrs each. This filament is very abrasive and I should invest into a ruby nozzle as the SS one I'm using is not a good heat conductor.
Old 29-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Do you think it would be possible to 3D print an OTA structure? Given that it took 7 hours to print those bits it would take a week or 3 to print an OTA! I’m curious as to whether it would have the same structural strength as the way you’ve made the carbon fibre OTA?
Old 29-11-2018, 11:48 AM
bratislav (Bratislav)

First, most 3D printers won't be able to print something as large as an OTA. Second, carbon charged plastic will be nowhere near as stiff/strong as proper skinned tube. Carbon fibers in a cloth (that is used for lamination) are contiguous and very long; it's their extraordinary resistance to stretching that gives stiffness and thermal stability. Carbon in 3D printed items is a mass of very short and small fibers that are not connected in any way. Better than ordinary PLA or ABS, sure, but you will never see any bows, arrows, fishing rods, skis, surfboards or telescope OTAs (anything that requires stiffness or thermal stability) 3D printed.
Old 29-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Had a feeling that would be the answer
Old 29-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Stefan Buda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Do you think it would be possible to 3D print an OTA structure? Given that it took 7 hours to print those bits it would take a week or 3 to print an OTA! I’m curious as to whether it would have the same structural strength as the way you’ve made the carbon fibre OTA?
Bratislav already answered your question so I'll just add a couple more comments.

Carbon filled filaments have a loading of max 20% fibre - a lot less than laminated CF.

"Delta" 3D printers would be perfect for the job as they can print very tall objects.

Once graphene becomes cheap, it may be possible to produce printer filaments based on super plastics, such as PEEK, that could possibly have the necessary characteristics for structural parts.

Already there are 3D printers that can imbed contiguous fibres in the print, but the cost is prohibitive for OTAs.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Stefan Buda

At long last I got the two backplates engraved so next week I can take them to the anodizers. I used a friend's CNC mill and I gave serial number 000 to the prototype.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BackPlate3.JPG)
96.2 KB136 views
Old 02-12-2018, 10:15 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
At long last I got the two backplates engraved so next week I can take them to the anodizers. I used a friend's CNC mill and I gave serial number 000 to the prototype.
Looks great. First of many?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Stefan Buda

Quote:
Looks great. First of many?
First of two, for now. We'll see.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Stefan Buda

As I was making the hub for holding the primary mirror, I realized that I can do a test of the finished mirror for eccentricity and co-axiality before taking it off the lathe.
It spun without any perceptible wobble so I'm happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Primary7.JPG)
105.5 KB106 views
Old 08-12-2018, 06:24 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
As I was making the hub for holding the primary mirror, I realized that I can do a test of the finished mirror for eccentricity and co-axiality before taking it off the lathe.
How's the glass mounted? Is there an aluminium bush running through it with a retaining ring. Do you use cork as spacers?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Stefan Buda

Yes, there is a flanged bush going through the central hole and there is another flange at the front. The front flange has a thread for attaching the baffle. The mirror's location is defined by its back face and its internal diameter. The front flange also has a silicone rubber O-ring that pushes the mirror gently into contact with the bare aluminium flange on its back side. I may add a very thin shock absorbing layer, but definitely not something as rough and agricultural as cork.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:46 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
So glad the chuck didn't accidentally come loose.........

Mike