Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2019, 07:22 PM
BruceG (Bruce)

IC2944 + Bonus Planetary Nebula

Hi fellow astronuts,
During last weeks' SPSP at Wiruna, I only managed to get 8x3 minute frames in Ha on this nebula on Saturday night when the low clouds rolled in. Anyway, I processed what I had and was surprised to find what appeared to be a PN near the upper right of the frame. A little digging around and I find it is He2-72. A 14.5 magnitude PN, 1 arc minute in diameter. A little shocked that a small refactor and only a total of 24 minutes integration has resolved this.
Higher resolution here
Anyway, I though I would share it in any case. Great little cam is the ASI1600mm Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IC2944.jpg)
200.4 KB15 views
Old 09-05-2019, 07:46 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Certainly a nice result there Bruce...for such a modest investment in time at our, half night star party Yes, that planetary surprises quite a few imagers, it is so kinda out of place in that field, makes it intriguing

Mike
Old 09-05-2019, 07:50 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Terrific ha shot Bruce. You've nailed the focus. Some great details and contrast.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:13 PM
BruceG (Bruce)

Thanks Mike, whilst looking for info on the PN, I did see a thread you were in back in 2009, discussing the same little PN with another imager that went hunting for it.

Thanks Mark, yes the focus is quite good but don't pixel peep - the guiding needs more attention. Still trying to address some backlash issues in my AZEQ6. But as you said to me up there, we get good SPSP's and bad ones (weather wise), lets hope we get a few clear nights next time.
Bruce.