Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2014, 01:31 PM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

PHD Guiding Issues

Hi IIS Members,

I have a few questions regarding PHD Guiding. I have an Orion G3 CCD that i want to use as an auto guider but cant connect PHD. Also do I need to download drivers for ASCOM software to talk to PHD. Any help would be mostly appreciated.

Cheers Chris
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM
glend (Glen)

Which mount are you using? The SyncScan mounts will need ASCOM platform on the laptop your using for the camera. The camera came with ASCOM drivers did it not? That camera also has a dedicated ST4 port and I take it you will drive the mount off that port and not via a USB connection to the laptop.

Make sure you have the latest version of PHD2 (which is 2.3.0 I think), it adds some features and fixes some bugs in the earlier release.

I tried to use PHD2 for two months, it was generally ok, but I had continuing problems with unexplained guiding drop outs, which buggered up a few imaging runs. There was never any error messages either. However, I was using it with a high frame rate video camera (ZWO ASI130) and it has problems with those cameras. I switched over to Metaguide and never have a problem now.

Last edited by glend; 03-08-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I successfully use the SS G3 with PHD2 when I'm using a DSLR to image. As Glen notes, make sure you install the camera's ASCOM driver and you should have no issues - it works well and is sensitive so always finds guide stars.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:39 PM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

Thanks guys, the problem is when i click the camera button in PHD there is no option to select orion 3G even though if have tried installing ASCOM drivers several times but to no avil. I have tried looking for a newer driver on the ASCOM website but it only redirects to orion website. I have downloaded the newest version of ASCOM and PHD. Also Amaranthus have you tried upgrading the firmware for the camera if so did you do it through the orion software that comes with the camera? cheers
Old 03-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

It sounds like your ASCOM driver did not install properly.

You can get the latest one for the G3 here:
http://www.telescope.com/assets/prod...aller2.3.2.zip

This install package includes both the updated v1.7.2 of the Camera Studio, and the ASCOM driver for the G3.

I checked recently and the firmware on my G3 is apparently up-to-date.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:04 PM
glend (Glen)

Not all cameras are listed in the drop down list, perhaps yours is covered by a generic one.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

No, once you install the ASCOM driver, it appears as "Orion Starshoot G3" in the PHD2 dropdown list.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:43 PM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

Thanks Barry ill load up the laptop and have another go at getting going. what type of scope are you running in front of the orion? I was thinking about getting a 60mm F5 ED? whats your thoughts? cheers
Old 03-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Either Orion ED80T CF apo or SW120 achro when autoguiding. Both work beautifully with it -- as I said, even from my (current) Bortle 6 sky (bright suburban) I still never fail to find a guidestar with it.

The 60 ED should be fine in most circumstances and will give a nice wide FOV.