Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Don't have an observatory?

I've attended several star parties over the years, however I've spent most of my time either looking at the night sky or other peoples telescopes to pay attention to the likely myriad of covers that people use during the day. I don't have an observatory and it often pains me to setup my gear only to pull it apart several hours later. So after some research I realised that other people have probably been protecting their telescopes from the elements during the day for years at star parties.

Long story short, I purchased a TeleGizmos 365 Series Cover.
In one sentence.... "where have you been all my life!?"

It's fantastic, and combined with my cattle-management ear tags that I nailed into the grass (for quick polar alignment) I can now setup easily and leave my scope (virtually) fully setup for days at a time. I can now have a long weekend imaging without having to dismantle!

Initially I thought the camping ensuite (green tent thing) would be a good idea, however it's really not (I bought it first). Even when it's tied down it still blows around like crazy. Luckily it was only $50 and I definitely won't use it again for astro purposes. The astro cover works perfectly fine just on its own.

I've attached some pics of my setup. I have an 8" LX200, but I purchased a cover to suit 10-11inch to accommodate my accessories. We occasionally have 40+ degree days here and so far the cover keeps everything nice and cool underneath. If you struggle with motivation to get out under the stars because you don't have an observatory, a simple telescope cover could be all that you need!

Cheers, Evan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CampingEnsuite.jpg)
149.8 KB149 views
Click for full-size image (WithoutCover.jpg)
133.0 KB144 views
Click for full-size image (WithCover.JPG)
97.5 KB130 views
Click for full-size image (ScopeCover.jpg)
77.1 KB139 views
Click for full-size image (TripodMarkers.jpg)
129.0 KB120 views
Old 12-02-2016, 05:28 PM
glend (Glen)

You can get condensation under the Telegizmos, I'd suggest hanging one of those dessicant bags on the tripod. The bags sold at Bunnings as closet dehumidifiers work OK, Hippo brand maybe, and others. I used one under my Telegizmo for my 16" dob and it worked great.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:37 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Looks good for my temporary requirements.

Thanks Evan and Glen.

bigjoe.
Old 13-02-2016, 02:52 AM
billdan (Bill)

Gooday Guys,

I used to do this ( blanket and a tarp ) and it does work great until one week we had a cyclone pass nearby and dumped heaps of rain for days. The mount was dry as a bone this wasn't an issue.

The issue was ants moved in and they found their way inside the EQ6, I had to get a vacuum cleaner to get rid of them.

Moral of the story is, if it looks like you are going to get a weeks worth of rain take the mount inside.

Cheers
Bill
Old 15-02-2016, 06:40 PM
jamespierce (James)

Yup - We have left both our Refractor and Dobsonian out in horrible weather under the 365 cover with no ill effects... Agree with others some minor condensation can form, and I'm not sure I would actually use it as a permanent measure, but it's pretty bloody reliable. Scopes are tougher than we give them credit for ... probably the electronics are the only thing to be worried about.
Old 15-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
You can get condensation under the Telegizmos, I'd suggest hanging one of those dessicant bags on the tripod. The bags sold at Bunnings as closet dehumidifiers work OK, Hippo brand maybe, and others. I used one under my Telegizmo for my 16" dob and it worked great.
Thanks Glen! Really appreciate the heads up. I picked up some dessicant from Bunnings on the weekend .

Cheers, Evan
Old 15-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Gooday Guys,

I used to do this ( blanket and a tarp ) and it does work great until one week we had a cyclone pass nearby and dumped heaps of rain for days. The mount was dry as a bone this wasn't an issue.

The issue was ants moved in and they found their way inside the EQ6, I had to get a vacuum cleaner to get rid of them.

Moral of the story is, if it looks like you are going to get a weeks worth of rain take the mount inside.

Cheers
Bill
Thanks Bill, I setup on grass and keep a watchful eye on critters and the clouds I only plan on leaving it out if the weather is fine for several days

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
Yup - We have left both our Refractor and Dobsonian out in horrible weather under the 365 cover with no ill effects... Agree with others some minor condensation can form, and I'm not sure I would actually use it as a permanent measure, but it's pretty bloody reliable. Scopes are tougher than we give them credit for ... probably the electronics are the only thing to be worried about.
Cheers James , yep definitely not planning on using it as a permanent setup, although I'm sure one could if they really wanted to. I often worry about the electronics and glue. The cover does do a great job at cooling though