ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Mobile Astronomy Apps
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

Skysafari 4 Pro vs Plus

So Pro has a bigger object database, high resolution moon map and high resolution images of objects.

Of course we all want bigger and better, don't we, but in practice is Pro really worth the money for an amateur?

I want to use it as a map to find objects, and control my scope, a 12" goto dob. It's all well and good to have a database that includes objects below the light grasp of amateur scopes under dark skies, but I think Plus might already have about as much stuff in it as any amateur could hope to see.

Am I right, or should I just go with bigger and better, per instinct?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:31 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

There's a detailed comparison between versions here for Android:
http://skysafariastronomy.com/produc.../versions.html
and here for iOS:
http://skysafariastronomy.com/produc.../versions.html

Personally, I can't see any "must-have" features missing from the Plus version, so that is what I went with. I figure there are more than enough objects in the Plus database to keep me and my 200 mm scope satisfied for a long time. Plus has the telescope interface built-in, so I figure there's not a huge amount of value in being able to "Go-To" an object that my telescope can't see or image.

(Even if I started working my way through the 31,586 DSOs in the Plus version at the rate of 10 a night, that would take me about 10 years - not allowing for any cloudy nights! When I run out of DSOs, I can start ticking off the 2,637,791 catalogued stars at the rate of 100 a night for another 72 years of observing.)

Seriously though, having access to the "Complete General Catalog of Variable Stars" and "Complete Washington Double Star Catalog" in the Pro version might be a "plus", if that's your passion, but there are plenty of variables and doubles catalogued in Plus.

The Hi-Res images and Moon map in Plus are "nice-to-have", but this imagery is available on-line anyway.

Be aware that the developers don't offer an upgrade path, so if you think "buyer's remorse" might ever be an issue, go for the Pro version.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Of course, on a "DSOs per Dollar" assessment, Pro is a clear winner:

Basic: 222 DSOs for $2.99 = 1.35 cents per DSO (74 DSOs per dollar)
Plus: 31,586 DSOs for $14.99 = 0.5 cents per DSO (2,100 DSOs per dollar)
Pro: 743,500 DSOs for $39.99 = 0.005 cents per DSO (18,500 DSOs per dollar)

Old 02-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

Plus...

I think I'll just go with Plus. Apart from anything else, the lack of an upgrade path extends to versions of Plus and Pro as well. Read any online review of pro and there in the comments section is somebody grumbling about the money they sank on Skysafari 3 Pro with no upgrade path.

Maybe 5 will be out soon anyway.

Travis
Old 05-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Yer , I just bought the SS4 plus version and vacillated a bit on the differences between 4 and pro versions. The size of the Pro version was a put off @ 900+ Mb. I my case I'll be paralleling up with an Argo so the size of the accessible DSO catalogue won't be an issue. Cheers Wes
Old 18-12-2015, 05:41 AM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

Update

Breaking news:

Skysafari 5 was just released. Only the iOS Pro version is out, and it is currently on promotion, cheaper than SS4P.

Android versions are coming soon, as well as Plus and Basic versions.
Old 19-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Looks like they are only releasing for IPhone , not Ipad 👎🏻cheers Zubenel
Old 20-12-2015, 10:21 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Ummm it's for all Apple platforms.
D/loaded and it's magic. Big from me
Old 20-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I have SS 4 Pro, which is a fantastic iDevice planetarium software. However, looking at the new features offered in v5, it just doesn't seem worth me upgrading. It's a personal call, I guess.
Old 20-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Yer, Just bought 4 plus but it was advertised on both iphone and ipad. Which I have loaded on both devices and works very well. I would not spend $30 on the upgrade for just one type of device. Cheers
Old 26-12-2015, 05:42 AM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

And now Plus

SS5 Plus is out now for iOS too (not just iPhone). Also half price.

I intend to get Pro for my Android device when it comes out if it comes out at half price, but Plus is cheap enough now that I might get it on the iPad too (but not Pro, because unlike Android which has heaps of room due to the SD card, my iPad can't take it.)
Old 31-12-2015, 12:50 PM
luka
Unregistered User

For anyone interested, SS5 (the standard version, not pro or plus) is free today (IOS only at the moment).
I have not checked myself but it was suggested that the in-app purchases are free as well today.
See here
Old 08-01-2016, 09:27 AM
rockinspace (Flores)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokusatsu View Post
So Pro has a bigger object database, high resolution moon map and high resolution images of objects.

Of course we all want bigger and better, don't we, but in practice is Pro really worth the money for an amateur?

I want to use it as a map to find objects, and control my scope, a 12" goto dob. It's all well and good to have a database that includes objects below the light grasp of amateur scopes under dark skies, but I think Plus might already have about as much stuff in it as any amateur could hope to see.

Am I right, or should I just go with bigger and better, per instinct?
The extra depth of Pro is definitely handy to confirm the location of very faint galaxies. It doesn't make the galaxy any more visible of course, but it does confirm you are on the spot.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I believe the Pro version can be used to connect to your mounts or encoders as long as you have the right receivers. However, the plus might be able to do that too? I have the Pro version and connect my to my scopes encoders via a wireless receiver(Nexus). Works great.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 PM
OffGrid (Steve)

I downloaded SkySafari Pro 5 a couple of weeks ago in readiness for the new Bintel 10" Dob I picked up last Saturday.
In a word ( for app and photon bucket) ....... Stellar
Old 13-01-2016, 12:20 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
I believe the Pro version can be used to connect to your mounts or encoders as long as you have the right receivers. However, the plus might be able to do that too?
Yes, Plus has the telescope control tools, so you don't need Pro for that functionality. The only reason for going to Pro that I can see is for the bigger database etc.
Old 16-01-2016, 08:32 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I use plus. Controls my telescope (CG5) through blue tooth.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:58 PM
ADRIAN

Sky safari

Has anyone here connected Sky Safari to a telescope
Over wifi-serial or Bluetooth to serial and if so how well
Does it work?
Old 07-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

I must admit , when SS Pro 5 came along I was a bit miffed as I had just shelled out on 4 plus but with my purchase of Obsession #306 20" classic and the amazing upgrade with full go to and tracking via Stella-cat (amongst other enhancements) by none other than Mr Peter Read of SDM telescopes, I quickly realised that the larger data base would become useful so I'm now using SkySafari 5 Pro. The sequence was . 2 star alignment from the Argonavis. Pick an object and track .With the SkyFi connected to the servocat , I found the Local area net work on the iPad and later IPhone . Hit connect in SS while on the same object in the Argo and viola , it was connected. Being a rather large scope ensure the step ladder is well away before selecting an object and hitting go to 👍🏻P.S I haven't yet figured out how to connect the Pc /laptop via ASCOM protocol so I can run my Favourite planetarium program that I have been using for the last 14 years in version or another . That being Earth Centered Universe. The clouds need to disappear !!)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:34 AM
poncho (Poncho)
Learning

Anyone have an idea when SS 5 coming out for android??