Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-02-2016, 03:31 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Adjustable feet for an older Celestron C8 tripod with wedge

I've been prompted to post this effort even though it is a bit mundane.

I'm sure many will recall the older Celestron Celestar 8 composite wedge mount/tripod. Basically a flat plate with steel tubes attached. On the end of the steel tubes were simple formed rubber boots, not the most practical solution.

Not long after purchasing this telescope from another forum member, I realized I would get very tired of carrying around various sized blocks for leveling the mount , and the rubber boots were worn through, so the pipe was scraping the ground and will eventually wear down.

One afternoon, I was cleaning and straightening my scrap box and came across a piece of 40mm PVC piping left over from a camp shower project. Light bulb moment... would it fit?! Fate smiled and said... "of course it will". The wheels of thought starting spinning and I quickly came up with a simple sleeve that fit inside of the tubing, using rings cut from a spare coupling as stops, a balsa wood platform holding a T-nut, and furniture feet with a bolt (left over from a sand blasting box I made a few years ago), and epoxy resin.

The sleeves were cut to approximately 400mm and one end cut to a 60 degree angle (not surprising that that was the fixed angle stops for the pipe on the mount, pretty standard I think). Ovals were cut out of balsa wood to fit inside of the PVC sleeve. They were fixed inside of the sleeve with epoxy and for added support, pins pushed through the sleeve into the wood, at the cardinal points, made from some steel wire I had laying around. Holes were drilled through the balsa wood plate to hold the T-nut.

My first thought was to allow the extra nut I intended to use, to be free and used as a lock nut for the adjustable feet, but that seemed fiddly when I played around with it so I decided to lock them in place, when I encapsulated the balsa wood plate inside the sleeve (with T-nut in place) with epoxy resin, the nut was just tightened to hold the bolt of the foot. Worked a treat as the bolt now has constant tension, and with the weight of the mount on it, will not allow the foot to move once set.

The stop rings are set at about 300mm which, combined with the friction fit, and the fact the pipe sets flush against the rings, makes the sleeve VERY stable. There's 5-6 cm of adjustment in the bolts, which should be adequate for most locations. I think I'm might get some 3/8" threaded rod and make longer extensions with rounded points (like some of the more expensive tripods) for some flexibility at all locations.

In closing, all I can say is that I hope this might give someone a different perspective to a problem they may have in the future. Hope you enjoyed the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20160206_223934 (2).jpg)
103.0 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (20160206_223954.jpg)
164.5 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (20160206_224127.jpg)
164.1 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (20160206_224110.jpg)
161.4 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (20160208_193003.jpg)
11.2 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (20160208_192933.jpg)
153.1 KB27 views
Old 14-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Huey (Michael)

adjustable feet

Kevin,
Congratulations, what a brilliant idea. I've got one of those tripods and will modify it according to your plans. This will give it a new lease of life.

Thanks and clear skies
Huey
Old 14-02-2016, 04:58 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Huey,

Glad you found it useful.

A minor detail to be aware of... when drilling the holes for the T-nuts, they should be slightly offcenter by about 2/3's to be more centered on the leg. I measured roughly 80mm from the end that points out and away. But you can move it to the other side and have more extension on the bolt. Hope that makes sense.

Also, I chose balsa wood for two reasons, first I had it on hand, and secondly, easier to mold the slanted edges to allow the oval to fit the tube flush to the edges. But I suppose you can use whatever material you have that you can form to fit.

Lastly, I just caught a typo, the PVC pipe length was 500mm, not 400. You can adjust that to what you want as long as you ensure that it has enough material inside the tube to be stable.
Old 14-02-2016, 08:51 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Kevin,

I think your innovation here is brilliant, mate

I reckon it is just a brilliant way to give fixed leg length tripods an adjustable element. And the threaded feet and also be swapped for longer ones too, to give the legs even more extension/reach,

Congrats mate,

Mental.
Old 14-02-2016, 09:43 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Alex!

It all came together so easily, I was very surprised. I've had it out every night since Thursday. Setup has become a matter of 3-4 minutes instead of the 5-10 getting things to settle.