Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 16-09-2010, 05:55 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

"BIMBO" Brisbane IIS Macro Boys' Outing - anyone?

Been talking to a couple of members about having a Roma St Parklands[1] BIMBO meet some time soon. Might try to have a few this season. Didn't do it enough last year.

Currently thinking 25/9 or 26/9. Next couple of weekends after that I'm out. And that weekend is close to full moon, so you guys won't be up all night with astro stuff

Conditions are typically better early in the morning. Can't remember what time we met last time, think it was around 7am?

Couple of guys who may be interested have transport issues and wouldn't be able to make it til a bit later, like 10-11am. Hopefully we can sort something out.

So. Who's in? Suggestions for dates, times, places? Anyone and everyone is welcome. Not just macro, either. There's plenty of flowers, a few birds, water dragons, water falls, little lakes etc.

Oh, I meant to mention. If you are keen on trying macro but don't have the gear, I have 2 spare Canon bodies, a 180L, Sigma 105, Sigma 150, and MP-E 65 macro lenses, extension tubes, several speedlites and the MT-24EX twinlight, and several different diffusers/softboxes. So no excuses, welcome to borrow or try any of it.

[1] or if anyone has another venue in mind, please suggest

Last edited by troypiggo; 16-09-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 16-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Troy

Count me in. Here’s a couple from a trip to the gardens last Saturday, 11th Sept. Roma Street Gardens are good for easy, free parking and there is a nice café nearby too!

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0897 Crop 800.jpg)
74.4 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0940 Crop 800.jpg)
95.0 KB27 views
Old 16-09-2010, 06:50 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re bimbo meet

Yes Troy I have cars,but was thinking of catching bus coach from Blackbutt,as it goes right to Roma St,I thought it would save the hassle of driving in Brisbane.

I will be unable to come those dates mentioned,unfortunately.

But if you ever have one in November-I can arrange a stay around your date,at the Roma St 'Travelodge" as I have to go down one weekend in November and sort out children's University things so will be down over night.

I told my wife,I was planning to meet BIMBOs in park at Roma st for a 'photography' picnic' and got a interesting response!

Cheers Chris
Old 16-09-2010, 07:15 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

I'm definitely keen! I'm free Saturday the 25th and I don't mind an early start. The insects will still be half a sleep and easier to photograph I'm so excited, I haven't done macro in awhile, winter was so barren!

I'm sure my boyfriend will be interested too if that's okay? Him and I stalk my backyard on a regular basis
Old 16-09-2010, 07:37 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Cool! I added a paragraph about spare gear that I have and can be borrowed if you don't think you have the right stuff or want to swap and try something else.
Old 16-09-2010, 07:38 PM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

Hi guys

Good idea Troy

I am keen but I am out of Brisbane on that weekend

I have time this Sunday morning and likewise the weekend after the one suggested.
Old 16-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'd like to come along, but, won't be in Brisvegas that weekend.

H
Old 16-09-2010, 07:46 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

I would LOVE to borrow your twin lite Troy. I've used my boyfriend's once and it was droolworthy! Currently just using in-built flash and a cheap plastic diffuser off ebay. It does the trick but one day when I'm not in debt I'm definitely getting one!
Old 16-09-2010, 08:01 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Hi all,

I think I'm free on the 25th, so I'll aim to be there. Haven't done much macro recently, so it will be good to get back into it!

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 16-09-2010, 09:17 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Doh, no fair!!!!! Due to one of my colleagues going to NZ for 3 weeks, our damn shifts have all been moved around, and I have to work Saturday the 25th :/ Can we mke it the week after pretty please? I have to work the entire saturday (8.30 to 5, probably longer).

I'm restricted to natural light macros though as it seems my flash has died, which would probably limit what I can do Not having a good run so far in 2010...things just keep breaking.

Dave
Old 17-09-2010, 05:55 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Hmm, going to be hard to get a weekend that suits everyone. All the more reason to have a few gatherings I reckon

How about we continue with the 25th Sep, then have another in Oct and/or Nov?

Andrew - I can't make it this weekend. Others may? Reckon Dennis would go every weekend

Chris - we'll definitely get together in Nov some time while you're in town

H - well you have to come up here then!

Dave - see above. Got a flash or 2 you can loan on the day.
Old 17-09-2010, 07:47 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re bimbo meet

Hi Troy.

We will be down in Brissy, either the 21/22 or 27/28 of November,so may be a BIMBO meet on either of these Sundys' the 22 or 28 would be ideal for me,We will stay o/nite in Centre of Brisbane on the Saturday.(this might allow Humayan time to organise to come up too!)

Thanks,Chris

Last edited by hotspur; 17-09-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: detail
Old 17-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Sharnbrook (Mike)

Troy,

Thanks for getting the message out, I have put 7am on Sat 25th in my diary, and will see you all there.
Old 22-09-2010, 07:22 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Is this Saturday still going ahead? And 7am? We might be a smidge late depending where we decide to go for sunrise in the morning but shouldn't be later than 7:30

Troy, would it be possible for you to bring your twin lite and mp-e along? I'd really like to try out the twin lite and my boyfriend was interested in trying out the mp-e, if that's okay of course What diffusers do you have, anything for the twin lite? Would appreciate it

I am so excited, can't wait to get out there and do some macro!!!
Old 22-09-2010, 08:15 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Sure is still on! Hoping it doesn't rain overnight. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll have the twin-lite with me and the MP-E. I usually diffuse the twin-lite with Lumiquest Ultra-bounces. You're welcome to try them both.

I'm planning on mostly using the 180L. I bought it a while ago but haven't had a chance to give it a workout. I was also planning on using it with the twin-lite, but won't need to do that all morning. So that's fine.
Old 22-09-2010, 08:37 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

No worries, Troy, it's your twin lite so whenever you want to use it just say I still have my in-built flash and diffuser that work alright so I'm not bothered! Whereabouts in the parklands do you usually met? I've actually never been there before
Old 22-09-2010, 10:27 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Damn it sucks to be working on a weekend :/ cos we're down a tech, and the other 2 have just done the past 2 saturdays, I can't even swap shifts...grrr. Bloody wasn't part of the damn job at the start either. But, you know how it is, you can't complain cos you'll just get booted...

Dave
Old 23-09-2010, 04:43 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Check out the map here. Last time we spent most of our time in "Spectacle Garden" (centre of map) in the bottom left corner of it. I'll be parking somewhere on Parkland Avenue there near the cafe so I can get a caffeine fix after Then walk up to "The Hub" to get to the garden. It's really not that big an area and you shouldn't have any trouble finding us. Will have my mobile with me, so I'll PM you the number. I'll be the good lookin fella covered in dew with my hat on backwards yelling at bugs to stay still for me.

So at this stage it looks like me, Mike (Sharnbrook), Dennis, StephenM, Shelley plus boyfriend, and possibly Peter (peter_4059) if I can convince him to roll out of bed before 11am on a Saturday.

Dave - get booted, come down and shoot bugs. You'll be happier for it
Old 23-09-2010, 05:00 AM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I'll be the good lookin fella covered in dew with my hat on backwards yelling at bugs to stay still for me.
Sounds like me, minus the hat! And replace fella, with sheila Well, the weather seems like it's finally clearing up so it should be a great day on Saturday
Old 24-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Just to whet your appetite, here are a few in-flight shots from our outing a few weeks ago. I’m not sure what the recent days of rain will have done to the blooms, but I do hope we get some good weather tomorrow.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0916 Crop 800.jpg)
42.6 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0928 Crop 800.jpg)
59.1 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0937 Crop 800.jpg)
75.2 KB20 views