Old 18-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Paul Haese

Thread problem

Couple of weeks ago I bought a TSRCflat3 from TS Optical. I had two adapters made up by Precise Parts. One on the telescope side and one on the camera side. The one on the telescope side has a thread of 90 x 1. The one on the camera side is supposed to be 80 x 1. The adapter on the telescope side screws in perfectly. However, the one on the camera side starts to thread and then stops like it is an imperial thread rather than metric or vice versa.

Two questions.

1. Can I get the thread recut?

2. Does anyone have one of these and know what the actual thread size is? I need to make sure that the thread description is right so I can confirm to Ashley that there is a problem. I have already contacted him but imagine he will get back to me asking if the thread is correct.
Old 19-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Paul, What a disappointment! Im sure an engineering workshop will be able to answer both of your questions.
Old 19-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Paul Haese

Ashley from Precise Parts is going to fix the problem but needs me to send the adapter back with the M48 adapter that comes with the flattener to measure the threads. So another 3 weeks or so before I can get the flattener on the camera (which has its own issues BTW and dealing with SBIG about that at present).
Old 19-06-2014, 09:49 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

This part of our hobby is always an expensive PITA. Hope you get it sorted soon, Paul.
Old 19-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Paul Haese

Yeah, not Ashley's fault per se as this is the first adapter they have made with this flattener. So sending it back to the US is the only real PITA. And it will most likely turn up in about 4 weeks.
Old 19-06-2014, 03:02 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Just an idea that may reduce the lead time, perhaps you could measure the thread yourself?
A cheap vernier caliper will be good enough to tell you if it really is 80mm, and a thread pitch gauge will tell you weather it's 1mm or some other.
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Q610

General Tools in Adelaide apparently stock the MeasuMax range.
Old 20-06-2014, 07:28 PM
KenGee

Paul you should have a look at this http://www.williamoptics.com/accesso...r_features.php
This is what I use with the flattener.
Old 20-06-2014, 11:46 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

I think this may chew up a little to much back focus for Pauls rig, that looks like a very neat part.
Old 21-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Paul Haese

And I could not use that on the STXL integrated filter wheel either. It would vignette too much for the pick off prism. The throat on the filter wheel is 3".

Also not to mention that the length has to be as close to 44.2mm as possible to make up the 106mm back focus. Using a generic adapter can lead to problems with back focus Ken. If only it was that simple.