Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 20-07-2012, 05:20 PM
gregbradley

Samyang 35mm F1.4 hotter than Zeiss 35mm F1.4?

It sounds weird but it appears the Samyang 35mm F1.4 at about AUD$535 is better than the Zeiss 35mm F1.4 especially for astrophotography.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/New...ut-to-the-test

I don't think those magenta/purple halos in the Zeiss wide open would look too good in a widefield DSLR Milky Way shot!

They also have recently put out a 24mm F1.4 with not a lot of reviews available but perhaps this may be more useful for astro than
35mm for APS and full frame cameras.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 20-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 20-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

DxO Mark's lens tests are not something I'd take as gospel.

I wonder what Zeiss owners/users would have to say about their investment pitted up against a Samyang lens, and losing.

H
Old 20-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

The name Zeiss has been sold and is no longer related to the long and famous pedigree of the Carl Zeiss company. The lenses are made by Cosina from various designs who also manufacture lenses for a host of other brands.

The expensive Zeiss lenses sold these days for Nikon, Canon and other popular mounts are hopelessly overpriced for their optical performance. DxO is not alone in that assessment. They do have good build quality, though.
Old 20-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

I got one of those Samyangs! YES! My lens is better than a Zeiss! haha. May be potentially for normal shots and according to the article resolution is better, but the magenta halos are annoying for astro work.
Old 21-07-2012, 06:34 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelastro1 View Post
I got one of those Samyangs! YES! My lens is better than a Zeiss! haha. May be potentially for normal shots and according to the article resolution is better, but the magenta halos are annoying for astro work.
Oh, the dreaded magenta halo.

Interesting as one review of the Samyang 35mm F1.4 up against the Zeiss 35mm F1.4 had the Zeiss with annoying magenta halos with none on the Samyang. But that was not an astro shot but a night shot.

I also wonder how much variability there is between copies.

How do find it otherwise?

I was wondering if it would make a good time lapse lens. F1.4 has got to be handy.

Greg.