Old 21-05-2009, 07:12 PM
ausmensan (Simon)
Galactic Explorer

Question Nexstar 8si & Canon EOS 400D

Hi there,

Looking to hook up my Canon EOS 400D with a Nexstar 8i, and am wondering what the best setup is? I was thinking of being able to view and guide at the same time preferably, but also would like to know what the correct T-Adapter & ring is for the combination.

If you have links to any stores that provide them, it would be much appreciated.

Also, do I need an equatorial wedge for this purpose?

Thanks

Last edited by ausmensan; 21-05-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 25-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Simon
You can buy what you need from Andrews:
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
It's best to give them a call and they will make sure you get the right stuff for your combination of scope and camera.
The adaptor to link your camera to the mount is quite cheap, so it's a good way to get started with some unguided prime focus pics of the moon or short exposure stuff.
If you get hooked and want to improve your images then you will need to spend some more $$ and perhaps get a new EQ style mount for the 8i instead of a wedge - and keep the Nexstar 8i mount for visual stuff.

Why don't you also look into putting the camera on the C10? It has an EQ mount with tracking already right?
James

Last edited by Moon; 26-05-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 26-05-2009, 11:10 AM
ausmensan (Simon)
Galactic Explorer

Hello James,

Thanks for the response, and the link which I will check out. I have already emailed bintel and york optical, so I'll see what they have to say also.

Yes, I have looked at the Nexstar wedge, but there doesn't seem to be any available in Australia, at least none that I can find. I do want to do some longer exposure guided photos, so another mount or a wedge would seem to be necessary.

BTW, the C10 mount is not working, which is why I am looking to use the Nexstar. The C10 mount electronics are not firing up but that is another matter!

Cheers

Simon