Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 20-11-2019, 04:35 PM
sl

Denkmeier Binotron 27 SCT Super System

Denkmeier Binotron 27 SCT system. Essentially brand new - used only twice. The embarrassing part of this is why it is being sold. I have had a Binotron 27 for a number of years and love it on my 20-inch Newtonian. A friend building their own observatory asked me to help equip it - so I included the Binotron. Unfortunately, a C14 on a German equatorial mount inside a 2.1-m diameter (Pulsar) dome only just fits - and so trying to use the binoviewer is just plain impossible. In some positions it was possible, but overall it was just too awkward to position both the binoviewer and your head to use it comfortably. So, unfortunately, we decided that it wasn't working so needs to be sold.

This system has everything. It is the SCT Super System, which includes everything that the usual Binotron contains (extension tube, OCS, power switch, case etc.) for attaching to a Newtonian but also a special locking diagonal so that the off-axis weight of the system doesn't make it fall off. (One part screws into the rear cell of the SCT and can be locked in place, while the interface between it and the diagonal has a toothed locking mechanism so that you can easily rotate the system but then it locks solidly. See pictures and link.)

https://www.denkmeier.com/product-pa...t-super-system

It also has the Filter Switch which allows 2 separate 2-inch filters (e.g. UHC & [O III]) to be slid into the beam.

https://www.denkmeier.com/product-pa...-filter-switch

Also, the OCS has been upgraded to the larger A45 version so if you want this for a Newtonian then it has the best OCS.

https://www.denkmeier.com/product-pa...otron-27-order

Finally, it has the LOA 21mm "Deep Immersion" eyepieces. While these are a bit of a gimmick, they do actually make observing some of the brighter targets (especially open and globular clusters) a bit more fun. Also included is a "Neutral" 21mm so you have a matched pair of ordinary eyepieces plus the LOA eyepiece for a bit of fun. As ordinary 21mm eyepieces they are very nice. (Read the reviews on the Denkmeier web page and other places so you can make your own judgement whether they are worth it.)

https://www.denkmeier.com/product-pa...-eyepiece-pair

I am prepared to split these up provided I can sell the main binoviewer part, so if you want just the eyepieces, or just the locking SCT adaptor etc, then let me know (PM please) and I'll see what can be done.

Cost of new items in US$ is:

$1399 Binotron 27 SCT Super System (without the locking diagonal this system costs $1099, so we conclude that the SCT locking diagonal is $300)
$ 249 Filter Switch (no filters included)
$ 149 OCS A45 (when bought with the binoviewer, else $249 purchased separately)
$ 549 LOA 21mm pair of eyepieces
$ 149 LOA Neutral eyepiece
$ 100 Shipping (will almost certainly be more)

So the system landed in Australia would cost US$2595, which translates to more than AU$3800 at the current exchange rate. Add another 10% GST.

Is it worth it? If you've never viewed with a binoviewer - even a relatively cheap one works adequately - then you haven't experienced comfortable 2-eyed viewing. I originally bought a cheap system to just use on the moon and planets, but since I upgraded to the Denkmeier Binotron 27 with its power switch (3 different magnifications from one pair of eyepieces) it is permanently attached to my telescope and I would only ever switch back to a single eyepiece if I needed the extra wide field that my Nagler provides.

I need to sell these, so please make me a sensible offer (by PM please) on all or parts of this system. If I don't reply then it means your offer was too silly to contemplate, but all realistic offers will be considered.

~ Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Bino_case.jpg)
196.8 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (Bino_case_open.jpg)
178.9 KB174 views
Click for full-size image (Bino_diagonal.jpg)
176.6 KB103 views
Click for full-size image (Bino_eyepieces.jpg)
162.1 KB100 views

Last edited by sl; 25-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 13-12-2019, 12:27 PM
sl

I've had a couple of nibbles, but nothing really sensible for what it's worth. While I don't expect to recoup the entire cost of the equipment, I was hoping for near to 75%. If you are contemplating a binoviewer, this, in my opinion, is the best. I'd keep it, but I already have one.

I am willing to split it. If you want the binoviewer for a Newtonian only, or don't want the eyepieces or the filter slide, then we can come to a deal.

~Steve
Old 19-12-2019, 03:54 AM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

Could you explain the role of the different parts, including specifying what the minimum components required would be?

I'm interested in a bit of a nibble myself, but I don't need the eyepieces (I've got matched panoptics from my big binoculars).

I've got SCTs, a Mak and a couple of newtonians. With the OCS thing will the Filter switch work on a newt?
Old 19-12-2019, 12:44 PM
sl

Hi Mokusatu,

A basic system is just the Binotron body. If you have an SCT or refractor with a decent back focus then that's all you need. A Newtonian and some refractors (and possibly the MCT if it has a fixed focal position) will need the OCS lens. Any system which will allow a camera to come to focus will probably be fine for the binoviewer and OCS.

An SCT will easily accommodate the filter slide, but some refractors and Newtonians may find it takes up too much room and won't allow the system to focus at the lowest power. (I don't have the filter slide on my own system, but I don't have the need as I live under very dark skies.)

If used on an SCT which is equatorially mounted then I'd recommend the SCT diagonal as it will securely clamp the system as it contorts into the strange angles the you find happening with equatorially mounted telescopes. On an Alt-Az this won't be necessary (but it wouldn't hurt).

If you have your own pair of matched eyepieces (I use the 24mm Panoptics) then you don't need the Denkmeier 21mm ones, but they are very nice eyepices if you don't already have a matched pair.

~ Steve
Old 20-12-2019, 09:18 PM
sl

Hi Mokusatu,

your inbox is full so I can't send you a PM.

~ Steve