Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-07-2011, 10:43 AM
ed9428 (Kris)

6" Refractor

Looking for a large refractor, Skywatcher 150mm f/8 achro or similar.
Also will need something to mount it on, would love an eq6 but budget is an issue. Can buy as seperate items.

Would like to get everything for around $1000 which i will hopefully have shortly if everything goes to plan, just putting it out there to see if i can go second hand or if i will need to look at new options.

I've looked at skywatcher 150 f/8 plus eq5 mount new for about $1500, but this is stretching the budget and i would prefer beefier mount if possible.

I live in Warners Bay Newcastle so postage will need to be considered. Dont mind pick up as far as Sydney, maybe further if i find what i want.
Old 18-07-2011, 07:00 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I have a 6" refractor on an EQ5, though not for sale. A couple of comments that may help you. I have seen the OTA going for ca $400 and the EQ5 is certainly <<$1000. If you are patient they will turn up eventually. For visual work the EQ5 can handle the OTA easily. The biggest issue is the tripod; get the current design, the one with the heavy steel tube legs not the paired square aluminium legs. Happy hunting.
Old 18-07-2011, 07:52 PM
ed9428 (Kris)

Hey David.

Ive seen the setup with the steel legged eq5 on andrews for about $1300. I would be happy to pay this i think.

It will be my first scope. Ive been looking into it for over a year now, ive gone from making my own to buying a lightbridge 16 to an ed80 on a cg-5gt. I think i have found a happy medium with the large achro.
I always listen to others comments on things i may purchase.
How do you like your 6" on eq5? I think this will be my path, i like visual, if i get into imaging i think i will get a small triplet later.
Do you have suggestions on where to find this rig at a good price.

Thank you for your help.
Old 19-07-2011, 07:44 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

OK Kris I'll reply but if this keeps up the mods might like to move this to an equipment forum.

You list a few very different possible scopes you've considered which makes me worried that you haven't really settled on what you plan to do and how. If you want to observe deep sky the ED 80 is too small. If you live in a high-rise and don't have a car the lightbridge is useless. Try to visualise your observing session, including travel if necessary. (In Newcastle, like Wollongong, deep sky observing from in town is disappointing.)

I like the refractor, particularly for lunar/planetary where it outperforms my GSO 25cm dobs. For deep sky, no one will ever accuse it of being a galaxy hunter but can do 2 degree fields with pin point stars to the edge and it has good contrast. So it is very nice on all the splashy objects, good on the not so splashy but starts to shows its size on any truly faint fuzzy. Optically I'd take it over a newt or cass of the same aperture. A $ for $ comparison would give a different result. Having had newts before this I initially found the false colour objectionable. So I put a Baader FringeKiller on the front of the 2" diagonal and that improved the view markedly, though there is a yellowish cast. I don't notice it now. The focuser is a bit of a weak point. To make focusing easier I bought an add-on motor focusser. That allowed accurate focusing and improved viewing substantially. However over a few years the focuser mechanism (I used the term loosely) wore out to the point where the image shift when changing direction was just too too much. So I splashed out on a moonlight. That about doubled the value of the scope and it is now a pleasure to use.

I haven't looked at prices for years so I can't help there.