Old 06-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Startrek (Martin)

EQMOD goto accuracy with sync points

After using the Synscan handcontroller for 8 months performing 2 Star alignments and PA alignment routines I thought the goto accuracy was pretty good until I progressed and started using EQMOD and sync points with my planetarium Stellarium a month ago. I found accuracy to be extremely good if I use 3 sync points in a triangle around the object I wish to image.9 times out of 10 the mount hits the target spot on which saved time with slew corrections and centering.I just take a test image, set up my capture plan , get the guiding underway and hit start capture.
I cannot see me using anything else for a quite a while as EQMOD works extremely well for my set up

Have any other newbies progressed from the Synscan handcontroller to EQMOD for goto and experienced a marked improvement on their goto accuracy?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

wait until you get platesolving working
Old 07-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

What extras did you have to get to go to EQMOD?
Old 07-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Karl,
EQMod woks wth SW EQ mounts - if you have one then all you need is the ASCOM and EQMod software, a computer running a planetarium program (I use Cartes du Ceil) and a EQdir cable to connect the mount to the computer.
Depending on your PC you may also need a serial to USB adaptor (I use the Keyspan adaptor)
That’s it.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Thanks for that Ken, I may have more questions later. I have a heq5 so should be good there.

I'd like to see how much it helps finding and tracking ( unguided ) objects to photograph.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Karl,
Using EQMod will have no effect on tracking- this comes down to the accuracy of your PA alignment.
I find the GOTO accuracy after selecting and syncing on nearby stars is pretty good - capable of dropping the target on my reflective slit guider on the C11 at f10 using the Lodestar.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
wait until you get platesolving working
ditto....no alignment stars needed with plate solving.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Karl,
Apologies for not responding earlier, I have been assembling and wiring my new Sky-Watcher 12” GoTo Dob in the garage all day
Ken assisted me with my EQMOD questions a few months ago and was a great help. I have connected my mount direct to laptop ( EQ Direct ) which is the preferred method by the EQMOD project developers. Although a lot of guys connect EQMOD via their SynScan handcontrollers ( PC Direct )with out any issues. I tried the PC Direct method first , bought a basic serial USB adapter ( $30 ) tried and tried but could not connect , so bought a preferred keyspan USB serial adapter ($65 ) could not connect, ditched the PC Direct method and decided to use the preferred method EQ Direct.Bought a USB EQ cable from Bintel ( $70 ) and coneected straight away, it’s been working like a dream.
I use Stellarium Scope to open the EQMOD driver and provide goto functions and my planetarium is Stellarium which is fantastic. If you wish to go down my path to get EQMOD up and running via EQ Direct and use Stellarium as your planetarium I can send you some information
Martin
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Bintel sell the Shoestring EQDIR Adapter from Stark Labs. It’s a pretty simple serial converter. Mine is coupled to a stock standard cheap USB to serial cable running on Windows 10 with a Windows 7 Prolific driver. ASCOM software is free and so is Astrotortilla Platesolving software. If you got your mount and your camera on the laptop, then you really should consider platesolving. I used to spent hours polar aligning, 3 point star sync with stars that sometimes were behind the house just to find that my target wasn’t actually in the frame (then came the push around and hope for the best for another hour). Now I’m imaging wishing within 10 min. From the rig being assembled. Thanks to platesolving. Truth being told, I got a polemaster, which makes Pole alignment so super easy.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

At the moment I'm about 20 mins set up, 2 star align and polar align then imaging. It's more the accuracy I'm looking for.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:39 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzburg View Post
At the moment I'm about 20 mins set up, 2 star align and polar align then imaging. It's more the accuracy I'm looking for.
With Platesolving, you dont have to do star aligning. You tell Stellarium to move the scope to your desired object and once finished your camera will take a photo, reference it to a catalogue and if you are not within arcaeconds of it, it will move your scope to tbe exact location.

its repeatable and always dead center. that makes it so appealing as you can shoot the same object night after night with the same framing. you also dont have to worry about meridian flips as the object can be centered in seconds.

... and its free
Old 10-10-2018, 04:26 AM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Thanks Max
Old 10-10-2018, 05:31 AM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

What plate solving program do you use?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:47 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I’ve used ASPS (All Sky Plate Solver) which worked well. Also the plate solving module within AstroArt.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have All Sky Plate Solver on my lappy and hope to get it working next time out...I hope it is not too difficult for me.
I was doing it all manually only months ago ...got one star alignment only under my belt but went back to manual...old habits etc but I think the promise held out by plate solving would be wonderful as I could do stuff in the city...
Anyways I best see if there are some notes on the program in case it clears up.

Nearly lost all my gear yesterday..I was away in town... a wild storm happened with my gear in a pile under a patio ... water was coming from everywhere apparently all windows were leaking such was the event and somehow my gear was spared...I am so lucky I just can not believe...the rain came in and under every verhandah and patio even the other end to where my gear is stacked...
I just hope I am lucky enough to have plate solving work with no effort.
Alex
Old 10-10-2018, 05:39 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Hi Karl,

I use Astrotortilla. It natively integrates with ASCOM and BackyardEOS. As a planetarium I use Stellarium (an older version) and also the Stellariumscope plug in (it only works up to a certain Stellarium version). It takes an afternoon to set it all up. But would not want to go back.
When you download Astrotortilla, it downloads the Cygwin engine as well as a bunch of catalogues. You can narrow the catalogue range down, if hard drive space is an issue. If you download all, then you’re covered for everything — from a 10mm lens to a 3m cases grain or thereabouts.
I asked questions here when I got stuck and received excellent advice from Ken and the others. Have a look here, if you get stuck http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=161272&page=2
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have All Sky Plate Solver on my lappy and hope to get it working next time out...I hope it is not too difficult for me.
I was doing it all manually only months ago ...got one star alignment only under my belt but went back to manual...old habits etc but I think the promise held out by plate solving would be wonderful as I could do stuff in the city...
Anyways I best see if there are some notes on the program in case it clears up.

Nearly lost all my gear yesterday..I was away in town... a wild storm happened with my gear in a pile under a patio ... water was coming from everywhere apparently all windows were leaking such was the event and somehow my gear was spared...I am so lucky I just can not believe...the rain came in and under every verhandah and patio even the other end to where my gear is stacked...
I just hope I am lucky enough to have plate solving work with no effort.
Alex
That’s always my biggest fear when I just chuck a cloak over my setup in the wee hours of the morning. Glad your gear got spared. All the best with the other damages!