Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-05-2015, 06:14 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The WORST Doctor

I was unfortunately reminded today after enduring Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 who the WORST Doctor was - without doubt, Peter Cushing.

I had always disliked Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, but the "cameo" by Peter Cushing was really deplorable (let alone the entire movie!)

Best Doctor still IMHO goes to Tom Baker, and Peter Davison was enjoyable too.
Old 21-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Definitely Tom Baker!
Old 21-05-2015, 07:14 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

You saying Tom is the WORST? Them's fightin' words!
Old 21-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Not at all, Lewis Tom Baker is the best Doctor IMO.
Old 21-05-2015, 08:33 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Not at all, Lewis Tom Baker is the best Doctor IMO.
Nope. The best one has an owl on his shoulder. He can also see 84 degrees at once.
Old 21-05-2015, 09:33 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

This one... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayant_Patel

or this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Edelsten

Last edited by sn1987a; 22-05-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 21-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Tom Baker is my favourite, who had well written scripts that matched his sarcasm, grin and wit. (I grew up watching the B&W Dr WHO series on the ABC, with Patrick Troughton who was good also). John Pertwee who replaced Patrick Troughton was lucky to have some very good episodes written for him, but as a Doctor I thought was a bit feminine for the role.

I never saw enough of the other Doctors to have a least favourite. Perhaps Peter Davison who played the role of Dr WHO like a school teacher.

Check out the average viewer numbers for each of the series - incredible number of viewers and followers for the first 3 series in the 1960s. The popularity peaked with the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker - 1974 to 1980). Apart from the specials, the Tom Baker viewer numbers havent been matched by any of the other Doctor WHO series (and there are far more people living in the UK today and the marketing and promotion is higher).

So I reckon even the numbers back up Tom Baker. The Doctor with the least viewers seems to be Sylvester McCoy, the 7th Doctor (from 1987 - 1989). I think the series was axed in 1989.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials
Old 21-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Richard Ayoade gets my vote as the next Doctor!
Old 22-05-2015, 12:40 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

What about the modern Doctors? Too many special effects not enough script?
Old 22-05-2015, 04:24 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I never took to Eccleston, never understood the appeal plus it's the era responsible for Rose, gahh...
Old 23-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Weird1 (Keith)

Without doubt the best Dr Who was Tom Baker. My collection of Dr Who includes all episodes up until the new Dr (Peter whats is name) who has turned me off the show. When they replace him I might see who is new, but the writers will have to improve the woeful scripts.

Cheers Keith
Old 25-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I don't think Peter Capaldi is too bad as I have said before. The scripts he has to work with and that annoying companion are what put me off. Give him some decent material and a decent companion and he would do well.

For those that don't like Christopher Eccleston I think your missing the point.

Anyway, each to their own.
Old 25-05-2015, 10:30 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I think Eccleston was the better of all the modern Doctors. Tennant was almost TOO boyish for my likings.
Old 25-05-2015, 10:40 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
Tom Baker is my favourite, who had well written scripts that matched his sarcasm, grin and wit. (I grew up watching the B&W Dr WHO series on the ABC, with Patrick Troughton who was good also). John Pertwee who replaced Patrick Troughton was lucky to have some very good episodes written for him, but as a Doctor I thought was a bit feminine for the role.

I never saw enough of the other Doctors to have a least favourite. Perhaps Peter Davison who played the role of Dr WHO like a school teacher.

Check out the average viewer numbers for each of the series - incredible number of viewers and followers for the first 3 series in the 1960s. The popularity peaked with the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker - 1974 to 1980). Apart from the specials, the Tom Baker viewer numbers havent been matched by any of the other Doctor WHO series (and there are far more people living in the UK today and the marketing and promotion is higher).

So I reckon even the numbers back up Tom Baker. The Doctor with the least viewers seems to be Sylvester McCoy, the 7th Doctor (from 1987 - 1989). I think the series was axed in 1989.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials
The problem with quoting viewer numbers from the 60s and early 70s in the UK, is that there wasn't a lot of competition. You either watched BBC, ITV or you didn't.

Plus I doubt that there were 10 million TV sets in the UK at that time. So if you invited your neighbours around to watch "the box" to show off, they watched whatever you watched.
Old 25-05-2015, 10:41 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Has to be said that the two best episodes I can think of were both David Tennant ones. Blink and Midnight. Both effects light and more about the stories.

That said, Tom Baker is still the best Dr to me. I think they have muffed it story and script wise with the current Dr, a couple of times it looked like he might find his feet and be interesting (And surprisingly dark) but they were never brave enough to pull it off. I did not mind the Clara Oswald character, but it does not work when both of them seem to be trying to play the same person so to speak!
Old 25-05-2015, 01:18 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

The worst thing about 2150 wasn’t the poor doctor, it was the fact that Daleks could be destroyed by pushing them down a modestly inclined ramp. So much for stairs being their only weakness. Just how did these things conquer so much of the universe???
Old 26-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Neutronstar (T)

The problem with Dr Who is I don't care much for Science Fantasy. Dr Who is certainly not Science Fiction.