Old 16-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Startrek (Martin)

M17 Swan (Omega) Nebula in Mono

Captured 2 hrs on M17 last night in Sydney Bortle 8 under a clear moonless sky. A very light NE breeze until 10.30pm kept the dew away
6” f6 Bintel newt
EQ6-R Mount
ZWOASI2600MC OSC camera with a Baader coma corrector and 2” ZWO Duoband filter
Ascom control
Cooled to -10C
50 x 2 minute dithered guided subs
20 x darks
20 x flats ( 0.96 sec 19000 ADU )
PHD2 guiding 1.00 to 1.20 arc sec error total
Tracking and Goto EQMOD, StellariumScope and Stellarium
Frame , Focus and Captured with APT
Sub fit files reviewed in ASTAP
Stacked in DSS
Processed in Startools V1.5 Linear OSC data set
Decided to skip the colour module and present the image in Mono

Comments most welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3DEF6133-6D20-4D43-8019-D1BFC0507E33.jpg)
203.8 KB47 views
Old 17-09-2020, 05:25 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Martin clearly your magnificent image has left everyone speechless..it really is fantastic.
I really like it as to me it looks very natural over the results one gets via narrow band..which I also like if done to excess.

Colour needs to be subtle or full on.

I just had what I think is a good idea...with each image post add a photo of the rig. I bet many folk miss the fact that so much of your work comes via a 6 inch Newtonian Telescope..and maybe on it's side in 3 inch high letters...SIX INCH APP. And think for all those questions about what scope should I get it seems to me that the six inch would be a no brainer. You know the answer often is to get a 80mm refractor..I would love to see how your six compares to my 80mm as I suspect the six would leave it in the dust...anyways well done...further your efforts has me thinking to get one of those fancy one shot colour cameras...but do I need to get any of those fancy filters for my dark site?
How come you are spending so much time in Sydney?..I hope you are not wasting your time working.
Alex
Old 17-09-2020, 06:29 AM
raymo

Martin is retired, he does his AP remotely from his bed. Great stuff.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 17-09-2020 at 06:31 AM. Reason: more text
Old 17-09-2020, 07:20 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
You probably don’t remember but you mentioned about the 6” newt to me in some posts about 3 years ago, so I looked into it and bought one. I decided to choose the f6 as it had longer focal length at 900mm but still very light at 6kg
Yes folk tend to opt for an 80mm refractor when they first start the hobby which is fine.Maybe the word Newtonian or Collimation scares people away thinking you have to spend so much time aligning mirrors , cleaning mirrors , trying to reach focus etc..... but my 6” is a little gem, it’s the best all round scope one could use. I first started observing the moon and planets and the views were spectacular. It wasn’t until I pinched my wife’s old Canon 600D out of the cupboard , bought a T ring adapter and started snapping unguided images of the Moon , M8 , Omega etc.. that I realised how good this scope really is. 3 years later and I’m using a Cooled OSC camera , guiding , dithering , darks , flats , stacking , processing..... and the real performance of this little 6” scope shows now
In regards to the OSC camera , you definitely need a filter in light pollution if you want to push longer subs. If you happy with 60 sec subs then you can get by with out it
At a dark site you probably only need the filter when the moon is +30% lit but I haven’t been down the coast to try it. I’ve been busy over the last month sorting out my Dads estate ( he passed back in April aged 92 ) helping my son and his wife find a new home, a few minor health issues so haven’t had time to get away for weeks at a time down at my weekender dark site but hope to get away next week and again through October and get some imaging time under Bortle 3 skies
Thanks so much for your kind flattering comments , appreciate it
Thumbs up to the 6” Newt !!!!

Raymo ,

The day I imaged remotely, totally automated, no intervention from the comfort of a lounge room or bedroom is the day I give the hobby away.
Thanks for you lovely comment too

Martin
Old 17-09-2020, 08:19 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
You probably don’t remember but you mentioned about the 6” newt to me in some posts about 3 years ago, so I looked into it and bought one.

Martin
Yes I remember, I remember everything I can even remember how many candles were on my birthday cake when I was only five years old. You know I still have not adjusted my eight inch and never did adjust my six inch Newtonian....I also think folk are put off because of adjustement...and ironically I still have not got my 80mm adjusted..getting the distance between the flatner and the sensor has near sent me bats..I still need to fix it after all this time...

Yes sorting out estates is a terrible business I am still sorting out my late father's stuff...he had, well he gave it to me years ago, nice antique furniture and collectables..I thought to sell all of it but it would take me such a long time and I sortta still regard it as his...so when the park is complete I am going to get a shipping container or two and put everything in there ... it will cost money but gets me out of Sydney faster ... like today..I am into working on the roll off but I have to go to town on estate related matters..it just never seems to end.
But heck I miss him as he was my best mate...I still see stuff on you tube and immediately think "oh I must show Dad" ...he was quiet as a mouse but pull his tail and you would find you were holding a tiger.
Alex