Old 18-07-2020, 10:23 AM
PKay (Peter)

SynScan App. vs EQMOD

Windows 10 platform.

I have installed the Synscan App.
I have looked at the functionality of EQMOD.

Which is the better choice?

Firstly the USB3 cabling is the same ie: laptop to USB3 port on the mount (not the hand control).

SynScan App. gives me full access to all the features of the handcontrol.

The App, PHD and Stellarium will happily all run at the same time via ASCOM.

I can choose to remove the handcontrol.

Why would EQMOD be a better choice?
Old 18-07-2020, 11:16 AM
brisen (Brian)

Hi Peter

I have used both and now solely use the synscan app with the synscan wifi which cuts out the need for a cable to the mount. I actually moved away form EQMOD after discussions with the Skywatcher tech when I had an issue with the EQ8 motor board- I am in no way implying that the issue with the board was due to EQMOD. The discussion though alerted me to the functionality of the app and the fact that it cut out a USB cable and the potential for a weakness. I pulse guide through the app as well.

I believe that EQMOD is no longer being actively developed by the developers although it remains stable and functional. I have been using the wifi dongle and the synscan app on Windows 10 with no issues for 18 months. It is also being improved as the developers receive feedback and implement improvements.

I got around having to open the folder to access the .exe file every time I wanted to run the app on the laptop at the scope by creating a shortcut to the .exe file and putting it on the Desktop. Now double clicking that fires up the app and all you have to do is click Connect and away it goes.

Brian
Old 18-07-2020, 11:37 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Brian, Peter,
The EQMod software is under constant development and well supported.
My preference is for EQmod. It gives full control of the mount and integrates well with your Planetarium (I use CdC)
You can GOTO, Sync etc. via the Planetarium package. Makes my life just a bit easier.
Old 18-07-2020, 11:57 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

The other option is Green Swamp Server. I've been using it since the start of the year as an EQMOD replacement and it has worked without issue. There is an active community on groups.io with plenty of development taking place.

https://groups.io/g/GSS/topics
Old 18-07-2020, 02:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter
I’ve used EQMOD from the start for the last 3 years and can’t see myself using any other Goto and tracking software
It’s opened sourced so free to the amateur community
It has extremely good accuracy particularly if you sync one or two stars in the vicinity of your intended object ( it leaves the handcontroller for dead )
It was developed by the EQMOD project team back in 2007 and has excellent support
I use EQMOD with Stellarium (I use StellariumScope to launches the driver for EQMOD but you can launch via Ascom now with the new Skywatcher mounts that have the USB port
Old 18-07-2020, 02:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter
Some additional information I put together on EQMOD

It’s been bugging me for months to find more detailed information so after researching over the past week on the web here’s my summary of procedures for using Ascom control for your Skywatcher and Orion telescope mount with EQMOD users of Stellarium version 0.19.3 and later ( without the use of StellariumScope )

History
StellariumScope was developed by Scott Pinkham of ByteArts in 2007 as a third party software to configure Stellarium, connect your mount and provide functionality with slew, stop and sync commands thereby providing Stellarium with Ascom support for the control of the telescope mount.Stellariumscope connects to Stellarium as 3 separate telescopes. From a Stellarium perspective when you press cntrl 1 it commands telescope 1 to Goto the selected object, cntrl 2 moves telescope 2 and cntrl 3 moves telescope 3 in the same way.Stellariumscope receives a notification when each of these moves are activated but for telescope 2 and telescope 3 it simply uses these notification events as triggers to initiate Ascom Stop and Sync functions.The telescope 3 Sync function has nothing to do with Stellarium at all, Stellarium doesn’t even know its happening it thinks it’s moving a telescope.Now this is where EQASCOM uses this telescope 3 function to add Sync points to its alignment model ( n - point alignment ) You can make as many sync points or alignment points as you like and EQASCOM will apply the most appropriate transformation to make pointing corrections. In late 2019 developer Gion Kunz finally provided Ascom telescope support in Stellarium version 0.19.3 onward thus eliminating the requirement to use StellariumScope in the future.StellariumScope can still be used but the developer recommends you adopt Ascom control

For EQMOD users obviously the latest Ascom platform drivers must be installed as well as the EQASCOM driver and Stellarium version 0.19.3

Procedure to use Ascom control of telescope with Stellarium ( StellariumScope no longer required )
1/ Open Stellarium
2/ Select Configuration tab F2
3/ Select Plugins tab
4/ At the bottom of the drop down list select Telescope Control
5/ In Telescope Control tick Load at start up
6/ Close Configuration window and shut down Stellarium
7/ Restart Stellarium and reconfigure Telescope Control by selecting Configuration F2 again , then Plugins tab, then Telescope control on left hand side drop down list , then press wide flat button “configure”
8/ In Telescope window press button “Add” and then select “Ascom” as your telescope control and name your telescope or mount
8/ Select “Choose your Telescope”then the Ascom Telescope Chooser appears so then select EQMOD HEQ5/6
9/ Click OK
10/ Select the telescope control you have listed , normally the first one automatically pops up
11/ Select “Connect” and then the Ascom telescope control should connect EQMOD to mount
12/ You should now be able to see your named scope and target icon in the sky view of Stellarium
13/ Don’t forget to manually Unpark EQMOD before you slew to a target
14/ Default key functions for Stellarium are as follows -
CTRL + 1 slew to target
CTRL + Shift + 1 Sync scope ( adds alignment point )
CTRL + Alt + Shift + 1 Cancels scope operation
NB: Other key functions may be assigned in Windows to simplify number of key strokes
NB: Ensure your site location details in Stellarium match the site location details in the Ascom EQMOD set Up window

Serial USB Cable Connections to Mount ( EQMOD)

The most effective and reliable way to connect to the mount is via the EQ Direct method ( laptop direct to mount with a USB2EQ5 cable , hand controller removed )
The new Skywatcher EQ6-R mount now has the option of an additional USB serial port connection which only requires a standard USB2A to USB2B cable ( Max 5m length )
The only changes I’m aware of to facilitate connection between mount and laptop using a standard USB2A to USB2B cable is change the baud rate in the EQMOD port settings in the Ascom EQMOD Set Up window and change the baud rate in the USB serial comm port found in Device Manager, Ports,Properties and Port Settings. The baud rate should be changed from 9600 to 115200 ( using the old conventional shoestring serial USB cable , USB2EQ5 , the baud rate in the Ascom EQMOD Set Up and Serial Port worked with 9600 )

I welcome any comments , further information or errors in the procedures or documentation

Thanks

Martin