Old 20-08-2018, 08:23 AM
TwistedRider (Drew)

Eyepeice cleaning

looking at my eyepieces i can sees some have a few dots of "stuff (tm)" on the eye lens.

What is the recommended way to clean these?

i was thinking something along the lines of a good microfibre spectacle cleaning cloth? Or is there a better solution?

just want to be sure the eyepiece lens is ok.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Kunama

I use a little bulb type blower to blow off any loose dust, then a clean KimWipe with a mist of eyeglass cleaner that is $2 at Special Eyes Optical, finally a microfibre cloth.

When I get a new microfibre I cut it into 2" squares and use each square only once on each side then discard.

I used to use exotic cleaning kits from Baader, etc but found by testing on cheap eyepieces that the stuff from the optician works better, leaves no residues and cost the least.....

My outreach eyepieces are shared with several thousand people over a year at various events, they end up with mascara, fingerprints etc on them but all come good with the above procedure...
Old 20-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I do the same as Matt does and have done so for years. The coatings are quite tough. Just make sure there is no grit anywhere before you start using a blower. I wash and reuse the micro fibre squares a number of times before discarding.
Old 20-08-2018, 09:16 AM
TwistedRider (Drew)

Thanks fellas

Good to know i was thinking along the right lines.
Old 20-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Kunama

P.S. I am thinking of using less mascara in future....
Old 20-08-2018, 06:01 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

this is good too...
http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_p...in=TRUE&id=103
Stephen
Old 11-09-2018, 07:37 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I use a little bulb type blower to blow off any loose dust, then a clean KimWipe with a mist of eyeglass cleaner that is $2 at Special Eyes Optical, finally a microfibre cloth...
Thanks Matt,

I have now tried KimWipes with an eyeglass cleaner (Lens Bright from Specsavers) and this seems to do a great job.

I could not buy any KimWipes locally, but they were not difficult to purchase online.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Wavytone

The one thing coating won’t withstand is thermal shock eg hot water. They’ll survive one or two dousing but sooner or later this will cause coatings to craze, quite like a crazed glaze on pottery.

The other risk is water in particular. No coating is perfect and all contain microscopic pinholes. Water being a polar molecule is very powerful at getting through these pinholes and in between the coating and the glass substrate. For many years you won’t notice but after 10-20 years you probably will.

The worst affected appear to be old MgF coatings which may peel prolifically - familiar with CRT computer monitors in the 1990s.

Eyepieces are easily replaced. But a scope like mine is not, so think carefully before applying anything.