Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Ububtu won't boot on the new Raspberry Pi 3B+

Yep. You can run good old Raspian just fine - whether you burn it onto your SD card from an image file or from downloading the NOOBS (easy install) loader. Either works just fine.

But this model Pi will not boot from an SD card to which Ubuntu 16.04 has been burnt. That includes programs developed upon the Ubuntu core and added to for astro purposes - such as AstroBerry or StallarMate.

The new 3B+ is certainly an improvement on the bare 3B in many ways but this one is a strike against.

I understand there may be some convoluted way to fix it involving heaps of Linux magic with which I am unfamiliar. If anyone has a fix for dummies, I'd be glad to hear it.

Peter
Old 11-10-2018, 04:00 PM
silv (Annette)

The distros were based on a 2 year old Ubuntu Mate kernel which simply doesn't know the new hardware.
Astroberry developer Kaczorek said 4 weeks ago: "I'm planning to release the new version based on the latest Ubuntu Mate 18.04... however it's still not available for Raspberry Pi. It was supposed to be released in July... and I'm still waiting for Mate dev team. The new version will include major bug fixes and improvements as well as support form Raspberry 3B+" https://indilib.org/forum/general/21...html?start=168

If you don't want to fiddle around with copying "new knowledge" stuff into the old ready-to-use-SDimage you can maybe bookmark the thread above and re-visit once in a while?
Old 11-10-2018, 04:10 PM
silv (Annette)

In case you don't want to wait AND have access to a Raspberry 3 have a read here to update your image manually. Includes fiddling and downfalls. https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.co...edirect=1&lq=1
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Well, I did manage it. I burnt a clean AstroBerry onto a SD then booted up my plain 3B with it. Then did a Sudo rpi-update command which did its magic and reported it had updated firmware to rpi-4.14.y Linux tree.
Then took that SD and booted the 3B+ with it with no issues. I haven't yet checked that all systems - such as Wi-Fi- worked ok. But at least it boots.

Edit: But other things don't work Wi-Fi for one. So it's back to old Raspian until Ubuntu Mate gets a Pi update.

Peter

Last edited by pmrid; 16-10-2018 at 03:26 PM.